Samsung 2493HM issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 2493HM issue

I recently got my hands on a model 2493HM. At first the power led would just blink blue and never show anything on the display. After opening the unit, i found a bad cap on the power board. I replaced it, but when i was reassembling the monitor i noticed a rattling sound coming from the logic board. It sounds like a small piece of metal is caught somewhere and is rolling around. I would normally not pay this any mind, but now i get a solid blue led and no display. Any suggestions?

Re: Samsung 2493HM issue

Originally posted by werthles View Post
    After opening the unit, i found a bad cap on the power board.
    1) Replacing the one obviously bloated cap may not be enough. Capacitors die from age, heat, and shoddy build quality. Capacitors DO NOT have to be visibly bloated in order to bad. They can be out of tolerance uF (a 1000uF measures 20uF) and/or have high ESR (ohm). A multimeter will be insufficient to test for ESR. For that you need an ESR tester which costs between $50 and $300.

2) What brand and series did you use for a replacement cap?

3) If you hookup a computer displaying your favourite wallpaper, can you see it by shining a flashlight on the lcd?

4) If you have no display, check your voltage regulators on the logic card.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The rattling may be a rotation sensor.

Comment

I just stripped a capacitor off of another motherboard. I did make sure that it had equal capacitance and it actually was a larger voltage. Im not sure of the brand. I hooked the monitor up to my computer and held a flashlight up to it to no avail. I did not see anything on the screen.

Comment

This would be a good time to post some good focused photos of the top and bottom of your power board. Photos of the logic and inverter boards would also be good.

Comment

I just stripped a capacitor off of another motherboard.
            That used cap could be dry and also bad as well.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ok, ill take some photos of it once my camera charges up. Ill probably just order some caps and replace the majorit of them.

Comment

Here are some closeups of both boards.
                Attached Files

Comment

If i were to replace all the caps, what brand would be preferred/suggested? Thanks in advance.

Comment

If i were to replace all the caps, what brand would be preferred/suggested?
                    1) For the power board, we need a top down view of the board.

2) Still waiting for answers to questions #3 and #4 in post #2.

3) Forum members here like Panasonic FR, FM, and FC (in that order). Other good quality caps are listed in the FAQ section at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

Badcaps.net sells Rubycon.

4) You must use low ESR caps for a SMPS application.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I did the flashlight check on the monitor and i did not see anything. As i am quite new to this, im not sure how to check the voltage regulator on the logic board. Any help with that would be appreciated.
                      Attached Files

Comment

As i am quite new to this, im not sure how to check the voltage regulator on the logic board.
                        1) What is the part number for the red circled component?

2) What is the part number for the yellow circled component?

3) To measure the DC voltage of a voltage regulator, put your multimeter on 20V DC. Plug in all boards and plug in the lcd into the AC outlet.

Put your black probe on a ground screw on the logic board. Put your red probe on each of the individual pins of the circled components. List the DC voltage for each component and pins.
                        Attached Files
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Red circled chip: 6P741
                          Yellow circled chip: (brand: ST) LF25GKDK7747

Comment

Well, in trying to test the voltage regulator i got some good sparks flying. Unfortunately how they built this thing it was impossible to fully assemble without the back panel and test the leads. I had to set it up where the logic board and power board were hovering over each other. Needless to say, as soon as i hooked it up i got shocked and i saw some sparks when i was trying to disconnect it. Now, fully assembled, the led wont even light up. Is it completely dead?

Comment

I had to set it up where the logic board and power board were hovering over each other.

Now, fully assembled, the led wont even light up. Is it completely dead?
                              I usually use cardboard to separate the boards if needed.

If you have no LED at all, you probably shorted something out. I wouldn't say it is completely dead, but we will now have to troubleshoot what components are shorted out or blown.

With power off and the lcd unplugged, check the following.

1) Check the two fuses by the AC input. A good use should measure less than 1.0 ohms.

2) There is a bridge rectifier (long black) just below the 2J 474J white capacitor. Number the pins 1, 2, 3, and 4. Set your multimeter on 200 ohms. Measure 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, 2-4, and 3-4. Any reading under 30 ohms suggests it may be shorted.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It would also help if you could give us an overall picture of the boards when everything is assembled so we can see how you are testing it using a multimeter. That way, we can suggest test points that are easy to reach for the multimeter probes.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

As i am quite new to this,
                                  I should explain the troubleshooting process here.

When the LED is green/blue, but you don't see the computer wallpaper with a flashlight, this implies that something is wrong with the logic board. That is why we are checking the voltage regulators on the logic board.

If the LED is green/blue and you can see an image with the flashlight, that implies something wrong with the inverter board or ccfl.

If you have no LED, that implies that there is something wrong with the power supply and/or the logic card.
                                  Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-16-2011, 12:43 AM.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yeah, im getting no reading on either of the fuses. I tried all ranges of ohms.

Comment

Yeah, im getting no reading on either of the fuses. I tried all ranges of ohms.
                                      If you mean "1" on the left hand side of the multimeter, then both of your fuses are blown. Don't confuse "1" on the left hand side of this display with 1.0 on the right hand side. The first means out of range and the second means 1.0 unit of your measurement.

You obviously want to order replacements (maybe 4 or 5 in case it blows again), but you also want to check out the bridge rectifier as well before installing the new fuses.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Now i just need to find out what kind of fuse they are.

Comment

Working...
                                        X