Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Computer Displays
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #21
Mishannya
Badcaps Junior

City & State: Pennsylvania
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: Hanns-G HG281D, LCD Monitor no power

OK. I've just found 3 dry caps (C603,606 and 707). Going to buy repair kit and replace all of them. Thanks to every body for your support.
Mishannya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #22
jetadm123
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishannya View Post
OK. I've just found 3 dry caps (C603,606 and 707). Going to buy repair kit and replace all of them. Thanks to every body for your support.
Make sure your kit includes ALL the caps. I've seen some kits that leave out the small caps.
jetadm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #23
Mishannya
Badcaps Junior

Thanks for your advice.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #24
retiredcaps
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Canada

Quote:
OK. I've just found 3 dry caps (C603,606 and 707). Going to buy repair kit and replace all of them.
Let us know if new caps solve the problem or not.
retiredcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #25
Mishannya
Badcaps Junior

Thumbs up Re: Hanns-G HG281D, LCD Monitor no power

I will. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #26
Mishannya
Badcaps Junior

Just repaired my Hanns-G HG281D, LCD Monitor. Replacing 3 dry caps (C603,606 and 707 & couple more small one) returned monitor back to normal life. Thanks to every one for help and support. Best regards.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #27
retiredcaps
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Just repaired my Hanns-G HG281D, LCD Monitor. Replacing 3 dry caps (C603,606 and 707 & couple more small one) returned monitor back to normal life.
Good work. Saving a 28 inch monitor from the landfill is a good feeling.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #28
rushstrike

I have a problem with this monitor where it takes about 50 tries to get it to turn on. Once it is on everything works perfectly. Is there a good way to test the power supply board? I would like to plug in the AC power and turn on the board without using the monitor's power button. I see that in the back there's a printout that says PSON so I wonder if I can use that some how to turn the board on. Let me know of any suggestion. Thanks.
rushstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:43 AM   #29
PCBONEZ
Grumpy Old Fart

City & State: Phoenix, AZ
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

Did you check the switch?

-
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
-
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
-
PCBONEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:44 AM   #30
PlainBill
Badcaps Veteran

I'm a: Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushstrike View Post
I have a problem with this monitor where it takes about 50 tries to get it to turn on. Once it is on everything works perfectly. Is there a good way to test the power supply board? I would like to plug in the AC power and turn on the board without using the monitor's power button. I see that in the back there's a printout that says PSON so I wonder if I can use that some how to turn the board on. Let me know of any suggestion. Thanks.
Perhaps a little more detail would help. Do you have to hit the power button on the monitor repeatedly to get it to turn on, or does the problem occur when you apply AC power?

The power supply in this monitor is a dual design - the standby section of the monitor is always on and takes only a few watts (possibly less than 1 watt). The main section is switched on only when it is active and draws most of the power.

The symptoms you describe sound like bad capacitors, and the layout of the power supply looks like it was designed to kill caps!!

PlainBill

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
PlainBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #31
jetadm123
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:

Please post some photos (top and bottom) of the power board per PlainBill's links in Post #30.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #32
rushstrike

Yes the switch has been physically checked. It seems to open and close just fine using an ohm meter. According to this post, it seems that the problem is most likely due to the power supply board. If I unplug the AC cord and replug it into the wall, it seems like it has a better chance of turning on than me just repeatedly hitting the power switch. I will take some photos once I am home from work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCBONEZ View Post
Did you check the switch?
Old 11-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #33
rushstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
Perhaps a little more detail would help. Do you have to hit the power button on the monitor repeatedly to get it to turn on, or does the problem occur when you apply AC power?

The power supply in this monitor is a dual design - the standby section of the monitor is always on and takes only a few watts (possibly less than 1 watt). The main section is switched on only when it is active and draws most of the power.

The symptoms you describe sound like bad capacitors, and the layout of the power supply looks like it was designed to kill caps!!

PlainBill
The monitor can sometime turn itself on right when I plug in the AC power. Then sometimes it can turn on when I try to press the power button repeatedly. Once I can turn it on, I can turn it off and on for about 5 times consecutively before it stops responding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0112.jpg (325.6 KB, 742 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0120.JPG (1.29 MB, 503 views)
Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #34
jetadm123
Badcaps Veteran

My initial guess is the startup capacitor is acting up. It's under that metal cover. Can you remove it and retake the photo?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #35
retiredcaps
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
The monitor can sometime turn itself on right when I plug in the AC power. Then sometimes it can turn on when I try to press the power button repeatedly. Once I can turn it on, I can turn it off and on for about 5 times consecutively before it stops responding.
Like the OP, all his caps looked good (no bloating), but after testing with an ESR meter, he found 3 dry caps and proceeded to switch them all out and save a 28 inch monitor.

If you have a multimeter, see if you get stable 5V STB DC (details in previous posts).
Old 11-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #36
PlainBill
Badcaps Veteran

I'm a: Hobbyist

As is common for larger monitors, there is a PFC front end on this power supply. MORE complication. I would agree with retiredcaps. Do replace all electrolytics, especially the tiny ones.

PlainBill
PlainBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #37
rushstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetadm123 View Post
My initial guess is the startup capacitor is acting up. It's under that metal cover. Can you remove it and retake the photo?
I think I will try to check the caps first with the ESR meter since I have to desolder this cap in order to remove that metal cover. I dont have a soldering iron with me atm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0121.jpg (354.0 KB, 684 views)
Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 AM   #38
Fatweed

Smile Re: Hanns-G HG281D, LCD Monitor no power

Hi there,
Just to add my 2 cents, I had a dead Hanns-G HG281D too, and after following the advice and info here I managed to get this dead monitor working again.
There were 3 dry caps that were measuring low/incorrect capacitance once removed from the power supply, which were C603,606 and 707 also found by Mishannya. (these caps did not look puffy or leak either on inspection)

Many thanks to this great site!
Fatweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #39
algomez

I'm in the process of recapping the power board on my HG281D as well. Ordered the caps from Digi-key, on their way now.

Mine turns on for a while (15 mins or so) then shuts off. I can turn it on again and same thing happens except it shuts off within ~10-20 secs.

My power board looks different than yours and has a manufactured date of May 2009. Here is a pic with cap values:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HANNSGPOWER.jpg (281.0 KB, 972 views)
algomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #40
jetadm123
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by algomez View Post
I'm in the process of recapping the power board on my HG281D as well. Ordered the caps from Digi-key, on their way now.

Mine turns on for a while (15 mins or so) then shuts off. I can turn it on again and same thing happens except it shuts off within ~10-20 secs.

My power board looks different than yours and has a manufactured date of May 2009. Here is a pic with cap values:

Your monitor is under 2 years old. Isn't it still under warranty? It would be suprising if the cap(s) failed that quickly.