Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple MacBook Pro C9560 and C7771

Hi

I have been using the following part to replace MacBook Pro A1286 2010 C9560 and A1297 2009 C7771:
    EEF-LX0D331R4 330uf 2.0 VDC ESR .0045

However, it now has a super long lead time and minimum quantity of 3500.

Would this alternative part work?
    EEF-LX0E471R 470uf 2.5 VDC ESR .006

Same physical size and both have 3 terminals.

These are immediately available in small quantity.

The alternate also has an R4 with ESR .0045 but the info implies it only has 2 terminals.

Thanks

Re: Apple MacBook Pro C9560 and C7771

We use

EEFGX0E331R PANASONIC
    Cap Aluminum Polymer 330uF 2.5VDC 20% (7.3 X 4.3 X

For the same repair. Purchased from Arrow.

Just had a conference meeting with Panasonic last week. Can ask them about the part but this one can be subbed by others.

From where are you sourcing these? Mouser? Digikey?

Comment

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

I was getting these in small quantities (15 at a time) from Arrow but they are out of stock with long lead times and they want 3500 minimum order. Everywhere I checked, including Mouser, had the same story.

The one you suggested looks like it would work. It looks like it has 2 terminals instead of 3 (not that big of a deal) but when you click on the image of the part on the Arrow website it goes to a page that says no stock is available. Even if it is available, the website shows that they require a 3500 minimum order which is way too much for me. By the way, the spec sheet says there is an GX-L (instead of GX) configuration that has the third terminal but I didn't see it on Arrow.

After Arrow ran out, I got a small supply from Beetstech that I thought would tide me over until they became available again but I went through them faster than expected. Now Beetstech is out of stock as well. So is Rossmann.

The one I am considering above has a larger capacitance 470uf vs 330uf which I don't think will matter in these 2 buck converter filter applications but was hoping to get some confirmation before potentially damaging a board. It is also available in very small quantities which would be great for me. I am only planning on buying about 10 to 20 of them.

Go figure it would be so hard to find a capacitor!

Thanks again for replying!

Comment

There is no issue to use the higher capacitance value. The lower the ESR value, the higher the current spikes can be supported. No idea about the 3 leads on the cap but if you can use it, it is ok.

The 470uf ESR is not bad to use. There is a great video we watched and linked in the forum on the use of these larger parts for the repair. The logic board was originally built with the wrong sized part that led to these faults. It was wimpy on the current support.

Use the 7343 sized polymer caps and scrape the pcb for the ground side. The benefit is that the cap works to support the peak current.

Will check the specs for the caps to update this thread. If required, can ping the regional Panasonic factory rep in Toronto. They mentioned their polymer caps in the meeting.

Comment

Yes, I am aware of the undersized cap issue. I've changed a lot of them to the larger cap even if they are currently working just to make sure they don't fail down the road. The 3 terminal version avoids the need to scrape the board. The additional middle terminal is also a ground and fits right on top of the ground land on the board. Works like a charm.

I suspected the larger capacitance would not be an issue. Might have a longer rise time but I don't think it will matter in these applications.

I think I will go ahead an order the 470uf 3 terminal version. I don't think the ESR difference will be an issue either.

If you get an answer from the Panasonic rep, I would like to know what he says.

Thanks again for the fast and very helpful reply!

Comment

I think you have a winner and did not know about the aux 3rd pin use.

Here is another option (Mouser has stock) - but will require some scraping.

This one has 8.5A peak current support:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...TRPAWp1g%3D%3D

Comment

Looks interesting but 54 week lead time.

Comment

Weird...I see stock.

See attached.
                Attached Files

Comment

I stand corrected. I saw the long lead time and missed the 84 being available. Thanks for letting me know.

Comment

Just found these at Arrow. Three terminal 330uf. Small quantity and they have some in stock. EEF-LX0E331R4. Slightly different from the EEF-LX0D331R4 - seems to be lower ESR. I'm going to grab some of these.

Comment

EEF-LX0E471R should work fine as well in my opinion. There are also MLCCs that can be used as a substitute but they will probably be more expensive.
                      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                        X