Ecs Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ecs Problem

I know that I am a newbie at repairing mother boards however I have been involved in electronics for most of my life. I have taught soldering schools and studied the same from different manufactures like kesler, and weller. I have tried three times to remove the capacitors from a motherboard without success. I have used solder wick, solder sucker and still seems that I am not doing a thing. I do not want to destroy the board while trying to fix it. The board is a KA3MVP. Purple in color. What say you guys and gals? The board has 6 caps bad that are visible. (bulged) and I would say more since that are the same mfg. I know that everyone wants help and give nothing in return but I honestly am trying to be a help when I can. Any comments would help.

Re: Ecs Problem

Yeah, I've run into that same problem. I don't know what they do differently from other manufacturers, but they're the only ones I really have trouble with. Even the older ECS boards are alright, but once they went to the newer RoHS solder they became nearly impossible to work with. I ultimately decided that it just isn't worth my time and effort to try to fix the damn things... if I find a bad one, it goes straight in the trash.

Maybe there's some trick I don't know about, but I've tried everything I can think of, and nothing seems to have much effect on 'em.

Comment

Gunswinger if I understand your problem you can't remove the caps.

You have to fuse some fresh solder on the pins and you have to heat them since the solder is fluid and than you can try so pull slowly the cap.
      When you have removed it if the hole is not clean you can try with a steel needle: you can heat the hole on one side and push the needle in the opposite side of the hole. When the solder melt the needle pass trough it and since the steel doesn't solder you can extract it leaving the hole free.
      Usually remains some solder in excess, you can cut it.

The ideal would be to use a desolder station but it is expensive.
      When I recap MOBO very often I have to use the needle method.

Using the solder sucker (you must be careful) you have to heat up the hole on the side where there is the larger copper plane and suck the solder on the opposite hole side.

I hope this can help you, anyway I'm sure on the forum yo can find better explanation, my English is not good.

Ciao
      Gianni
      "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
      H. J. Brown

Comment

There are a lot of topics, posts here on the proper way to desolder caps from a motherboard. Most important is a good soldering iron, at least 40W if not more, and a chisel type tip.

Comment

Working...
        X