iiyama Prolite E1908WSV no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iiyama Prolite E1908WSV no power

Just won this one on an auction site here in Romania for $35. 19" wide, and a kickass 1680x1050 resolution. Downside is no DVI, it's VGA only, but reviews say there's no interference so should be pretty good. Can easily sell it for double that. Trouble is, i might end up liking it, but i'll be selling it regardless, got bigger plans.

It's been described as "display looks good, but does nothing when i plug it in." I try to buy only stuff that i can pick up in my area, but this guy has 100% positives (and quite a lot of em), and has a lot of computer related stuff for sale, all honestly described. He has another item i may be interested in, a HP nx9420 with a bad charging circuit (works only off battery) and no HDD. That's a 17" beast with a MXM slot so it's quite nice, and i have a hard drive. He wants $125 for that so i'm playing the waiting game on it now, but if he accepts $100 i might buy it.

Anyway, for this monitor, i'm betting on the following, in this order:
    Blown primary switcher, or any other primary failure that blew the fuse
    Shorted diode on secondary (maybe due to bad caps?)
    Bad startup cap.

Should be here by Saturday morning, and we'll see.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: iiyama Prolite E1908WSV no power

Keep us updated

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Pretty decent deal. If it's a power supply issue, it would be a nice easy fix. Personally, I find inverters a lot more annoying to fix.

Hopefully the TFT inside it is an LG, BenQ, or HannStar. If it's a Chi Mei, Chunghwa, AUOptics, or some of the other cheaper brands, you may not like it too much despite the good resolution. Last month I got a 26" Westinghouse off of Craigslist here for $10, (advertised as broken but works fine, lol). TFT is made by Chi Mei. I don't like the way it looks too much, though. Yes, it's got 1920x1080 resolution, but the black levels are poor. Clipping near black and white colors is also quite strong.

Let us know when you get it. And don't forget pictures .

Comment

No power light, so it's definitely the power supply. We'll see if it has anything else wrong with it when it arrives.
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

iiyama is just BenQ I thought. I have a 24 inch ProLite monitor (got it faulty of course from work place) with a Chi-Mei display and it is OK but black levels are poor and evenness is poor too.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

If it suffers the same problem as my 24", it was cold joints on the IEC connector and a dodgy switch board connector causing it to not power up.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

It's here. Bad news.

The panel has seen better days. It's not cracked, but it's got some scratches and blemishes. I'm not sure if it was this way, or if it got damaged during transport, as it was pretty poorly packed.

The PSU and inverter are in one board. It looks like it burned with a flame under the hot side of the primary cap. Left traces on both the rear of the panel and the metallic casing that covers the power supply, and about 6 SMD components have burned beyond recognition. This is going to need a schematic to fix.

Amazingly, primary MOSFET tests okay, all big diodes tested okay, all Rubycon caps... Weird, ain't it? By the looks of it, it hasn't been tampered with before, as there are no marks of hand soldering anywhere on the board, not even on the fuse. Looks like this went out with a bang... I'm curious as to what the reason could be.

The good side is that it's only got 5 and 12v rails, so i will power it from an ATX PSU to see if that panel is as bad as it looks.

Comment

You seem to have bad luck sometimes... What components smoked? Maybe you could estimate them based on location? Are you sure the fet isn't drain-gate shorted?

Comment

I have bad luck pretty much ALL the time, but that's a topic for another day. Lots of work and even my luck is "forced" to turn good. The components that smoked appear to be part of the startup circuit for the PWM controller which is also SMD. Re-checked the FET now - yes it is all good.

Comment

PWM controller OK? Is it one of those with the integrated high voltage startup cell, or using an external resistor? Seems very strange that it would fail.

Comment

You need some pics!

You might be able to make a daughterboard with a PWM controller on it, then use the existing transformer, rectifiers, etc on the circuit board as is.
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Pics. I wasn't kidding when i said this thing burned with an open flame! I'll be cleaning the carbon residue and then hooking it up to an ATX PSU.

PWM controller is a LD7552DPS, looks pretty trivial. Inverter is done with a TL494I. Display is made by Chi Mei indeed. Edit: I was unable to remove all the black residue from the rear of the panel - this burned for a while... I'm afraid it isn't going to look pretty.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 09-24-2012, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Wait a minute... Are those Rubycons?? In an iiiiyama?

Comment

I mentioned that above - yes, it's all Ruby.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                I mentioned that above - yes, it's all Ruby.
                                This must be a joke :P. I thought they were all BenQ as my 24" was BenQ branded and the 18" (yes, 18", 4:3) at work has BenQ visible thru the top vents. But clearly not all of them are...

Oddly, I have seen that same "715G"... part code on a few TV main boards, mostly cheaper brands but also on a Sharp PSU... the cheaper brands had crap caps mostly, the Sharp used good caps. I have no idea who makes them. Possibly Unihan OEM. RCA, Bush (UK), Westinghouse etc. seem to use them so it might make sense that those boards are Unihan. They are definitely not Vestel...

Comment

Alright, now for some good news. She fired right up connected to an ATX PSU. Well, actually, would bootloop at first, but i quickly figured out that it's because of low 5v - the power LED dimmed when the display tried to turn on. So i added an extra 5v wire and an extra ground wire and all's good. Actually, there's quite a bodge on the power board: The 5v has a double diode, and then an extra single diode. It is neatly designed in, but the obvious solution would have been a beefier double diode.

The panel isn't as bad as it looked at first sight. I've attached a couple close-ups of the worst areas. Nothing some 2000 grit sandpaper, a tube of Displex and a bit of elbow grease won't fix. There's absolutely no trace of the burn on the back, it didn't damage the polarizers at all. I'm surprised.

I'm going to give this to David as he wanted higher resolution for working in FL Studio, and get back the 19" 4:3 1280x1024 IISonic, i have a higher chance of selling that as it looks better.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Chi Mei.. ugh

Glad to hear it's working at least. I wonder what caused the power supply to arc like that. Must have been a slow arc that carbonized the board a bit and then continued to arc even more.

If the scratches aren't too deep, try to see if you can remove them with alcohol. That's what I do normally, at least. Then I wipe the whole screen with a wet (almost damp) paper towel again, followed by a very quick thorough drying with a dry paper towel. That way, there's no streaks left on the screen when I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                      Chi Mei.. ugh
                                      Eh, it isn't all that bad. Actually, it's the sharpest LCD i've owned so far! Quite surprising for a VGA only screen. Funny aspect - the sharpness control actually works in reverse. As in, 1 is the sharpest, and 5 is the blurriest. Viewing angles suck but that's to be expected for a TN panel.

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                      If the scratches aren't too deep, try to see if you can remove them with alcohol. That's what I do normally, at least. Then I wipe the whole screen with a wet (almost damp) paper towel again, followed by a very quick thorough drying with a dry paper towel. That way, there's no streaks left on the screen when I'm done.
                                      Will try. Actually, some of the "scratches" actually went away after scratching with my fingernail - looks like it was just dirty in some areas. There's still a couple places that look like they'll need Displex tho, the area shown in the first pic has two little black dots that look like they've embedded themselves into the panel! I can feel them with my fingernail, but i'll be damned if i can get them out.

Comment

Maybe instead of sharpness you are deciding on between no blur and 5x blur...

Comment

Working...
                                        X