PS3 CECHE01 3 Red beeps when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 CECHE01 3 Red beeps when plugged in

Hello friends, Today I have the aforementioned PS3 in my apartment. The symptoms, Plug the console in, turn the rear switch on, the red standby light comes on and almost instantaneously, it beeps 3 times in rapid succession, followed by infinite blinking. I can't get any response holding either the power or eject buttons. At this point I tried removing the HDD and replacing it with another, but no dice. I have also vacuumed out the back but alas, nothing. I was having quite some difficulty trying to pinpoint results online as well. Every variation of the wording points me to the YLOD in a google search.

Re: PS3 CECHE01 3 Red beeps when plugged in

Free help pl0x lol

Comment

If anyone knows anything about PS3 repairs. I'm completely at wits' end. Every single thing I find is completely unrelated to my problem. I simply do not know where to turn anymore.

Comment

maybe the psu is bad.

Comment

hmm. I'm sure it's possible. The question is, how would I test that theory?

Comment

a scope and voltmeter.
            you need to check the voltages are present, stable and correct.

or swap it with another psu and see if it changes.

Comment

I guess I should've specified. I do know my way around a Multimeter, although I don't have access to an Oscilloscope. I'm just unsure how to proceed with measuring a PS3 , specifically my model. I'm not sure what points should give what kind of readings. I'm sure since there is activity from the Power LED that I would receive some sort of reading.

Comment

PS3 CECHE01... that looks like an older "fat" model (switch on the back also gives this away).

Anyways, first check voltage on the +5V line on the power supply. I suggest two tests: one with the power supply still in the PS3 and another with the power supply disconnected from the PS3.

When looking directly at the small connector (that normally has a 4-pin white short wire attached to it and the PS3 motherboard), the +5V line is the right-most pin, the two middle pins are ground, and the right-most pin is STBY (equivalent to an inverter PS_ON signal on an ATX PSU). You should get 5V on the +5V line, both while the PSU is connected to the PS3 and when it is not.

After this, we will test the 12V line.

By the way, can you tell me the model of your PS3's power supply? ZSSR539IA by any chance?

Comment

So sorry for the super late response. I got caught up in a mountain of projects. All of the voltages seemed to read normal based on what my tester indicated. I will have to tear the console apart to see if this PSU matches the model you gave.

Comment

The model number of the PSU reads APS-226

Comment

That's a Sony power supply. I don't recall ever having or seeing problems with these. So the fault is likely on the PS3 motherboard then. Since the light stays red and you don't get a YLOD (Yellow Light Of Death) when you try to turn on the PS3, then check all of the little SMD fuses on the PS3 motherboard. If I remember correctly, they all have "F_____" marks near them. And the fuses usually had numbers or letters on top (to indicate the current rating).

Comment

I'll be sure to give that a try. To clarify just so we're on the same page. I am unable to actually turn the console on. When i flip the back switch on to go into standby mode, it does the beeping automatically. I can't hit the power button up front.

Comment

Then definitely check the fuses I mentioned. Some of them are related to stand-by power, others for main power. That fact that you hear a beeping means the power supply is providing standby power.

Also, what board do you have? I *may* have the schematics for it. Not sure how complete they are though, as they were given to me by a fellow tech. I never had to use them. They are also very large, IIRC (like a few hundred MB).

Comment

COK-002 is the board number I believe.

Comment

I managed to find what i think are all of the fuses and circled them using my magnificent paint skills XD. I've attached photos of what I found. my question is, how do I measure these fuses. I've seen normal fuses that have clear legs for positive and negative output, but these are so small I don't know how to measure them or replace them for that matter.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by birdboy385 View Post
                                I managed to find what i think are all of the fuses and circled them using my magnificent paint skills XD. I've attached photos of what I found.
                                Yes, those are the fuses I was talking about.

Originally posted by birdboy385 View Post
                                my question is, how do I measure these fuses. I've seen normal fuses that have clear legs for positive and negative output, but these are so small I don't know how to measure them or replace them for that matter.
                                Fuses do NOT have a positive (+) or negative (-) leg. Current simply comes in from one side and exits the other. But we don't care about that. All we care is that the fuse is not open-circuit or high-resistance.

Therefore, you measure a fuse using a multimeter set to the lowest resistance scale (typically 200 Ohms for manual-ranging MMs). You should get no more than 1-3 Ohms, or whatever is the lowest resistance your multimeter can show (some of the extremely cheap multimeters may have crappy probes and wires, so they may show as much as 3 Ohms even with the probes shorted to each other - i.e. the lowest resistance the multimeter can measure).

Also, very important when you measure fuses: make sure the power to the system is turned off and the power supply is disconnected from the wall.

Finally, if it comes to removing these SMD fuses, you can use a regular 60 Watt soldering iron with a chisel tip (if you can't get one with a chisel tip, then get one with a conical tip that is made of copper - that way you can sand it down to a chisel, bevel, or spoon-shape for SMD work.) And flux (rosin or RMA will do, doesn't matter if liquid or gel.)

Originally posted by birdboy385
                                COK-002 is the board number I believe.
                                Okay, I will have to look though the retired computers in my closet as I can't find it on my main PC here. I'll try to get that done before this weekend.
                                Last edited by momaka; 12-12-2016, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X