SuperDot Motherboard Recap Repopped Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SuperDot Motherboard Recap Repopped Caps

Just finished recapping a SuperDot Motherboard. After successful power up, it re-blew the exact 2 same caps which were visibly popped in the first place. See attached picture with finger pointing to the 2 bad caps (Sanyo 6.3V, 1000mf). There were about 15 of these on the board, all but 2 of which I replaced even though they looked fine. Any ideas what I should try next? This is the first time I have had this type of problem. Thanks to anyone who has seen this before and can help.
    Attached Files

Re: SuperDot Motherboard Recap Repopped Caps

Those don't really look like Sanyo caps. Did you buy them new or resuse old ones?

Comment

It's Supermicro, not superdot.

Those don't look like Sanyo capacitors.

Check the voltage on those capacitors that are swollen.

check your 3.3v and 5v from the power supply

check those dpak (to-263) ICs they may be shorted or overheating causing problems.

Comment

Those look like OST to me...

Check your power supply as well... RAM is either taking voltage from the 12V/5V rail and regulating it down to 3.3v or straight from the 3.3V rail. Check the secondary caps in your PSU.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Some SuperMicro boards may just be re-badged stuff!

One that I saw looked no better than some $45 POS. Would make Topcat cry!
          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 08-09-2013, 03:28 PM.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Motherboards are motherboards nowaday... Aside from the quality of the caps and FETs, they all revolve around fairly mature BIOS implementations and standardized chipsets with unified driver architectures. Not like back in the 80s when you had to take ROM chips back to the distributor to get flashed to fix some major errata.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Bad wording on my part. Originals were Sanyos 6.3v 1000mf 8x14mm, replaced them with new Nichicon 8x15mm and a few 8x13mm of another brand (board not with me at moment). Which was another question I had: How much does height of a cap matter? I usually try to match exact dimensions, but I was in a jam and substituted a few 13mm tall caps for the 14mm originals as noted above.

Thanks guys for the ideas on what to check next.

Comment

There are a lot of caps that appear to be installed backward. It looks like the shaded section under the cap should be negative, but the positive lead of most of the black caps is on the shaded side.

Comment

Originally posted by dhamrin View Post
                  How much does height of a cap matter?
                  It almost never matters. As long as you match the specs of the new caps to the old ones (i.e. capacitance, voltage, ESR, and ripple current), then all should be fine.

Originally posted by dhamrin View Post
                  Any ideas what I should try next?
                  Post some more pictures of the area where the 2 bulged caps are. It looks to me as if the MOSFET next to them is damaged, but I can't tell for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                    There are a lot of caps that appear to be installed backward. It looks like the shaded section under the cap should be negative, but the positive lead of most of the black caps is on the shaded side.
                    Agreed. Those are definitely reverse-polarised. Re-recap it and put the caps in the right way.

Out of curiosity, why did you replace the original Sanyos? They are a very reliable cap manufacturer, and shouldn't have failed.
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

umm, the popped cap is in backward.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

I agree too.
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

There are a lot of caps that appear to be installed backward.
                          Good catch.
                          I think I have done one too many ASUS and old AsRock motherboard recaps .

Comment

^
                            Same here. I've done it to all but 1 or 2 of my ASUS boards.
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                            X