Backlight rare white rings. Samsung 50in 4K TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Backlight rare white rings. Samsung 50in 4K TV

I uploaded a video with hard plastic diffuser only; pressing it and lifting it
    Could we conclude that the problem is the leds or the lens?

https://vimeo.com/321624748

And this is a real life video; rings are noticed in clear background. Always appear in sky, very anoying
    https://vimeo.com/321629946
    Last edited by pablo712; 03-05-2019, 07:21 PM.

Comment

the fault is the LED strips .only replacement will fix

Comment

before you going to replace strips. post clear photo on your tv boards and specialy the power board where it out put socket to led. last photo u posted it show the ring reflection you have it with out diffuser .it may lead us to reason low currents going to leds

Comment

Looks like dirty/obscured diffuser lenses to me
          They call me......."threadkiller"

Comment

In one case for me,on LG,same lens type,something similar after replacing some led’s.
            But problem was too for some untouched led’s.
            Since no way to fix it I replaced all led’s and lens with problem,result was OK.

On those with problem I can see something like fog or smoke in lens.But no way to clean them.
            What I say,some lens was crystal clear,all OK
            Some others looks strange,like fog or smoke inside,no matter how I try to clean,no result and result was rings or spots in backlight.

Some of led’s are blue already,replace strips and solve problem.
            Last edited by gabiz_ro; 03-06-2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Ok, looks like all the time that these backlights were maxed at 20, ruined/prematurely aged the lights and the lenses, will probably be seeing a lot more of this.
              Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-06-2019, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pablo712 View Post
                For davph: I vape with an e-cigarrete; but very few times inside the house. What could happen with that?
                Well you've seen what it did to your TV, just imagine how bright your lungs are...lol

Just kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by pablo712 View Post
                  I think the only thing left to do is change the whole 6 strips of leds… I only found a workshop that sell those “used” from a broken screen TV at u$s 60 with no refund…

The size of the "rings" is directly related to the "light scatter pattern" of the lenses, rather than the size of the actual lens itself.

I have seen this style of larger "cylindrical" lens used in both LG and Samsung LED TVs, but I have never seen such a "ring" effect.

As much as I hate to say it, I think the LED "lenses" are faulty.

In the picture with no diffusers where we can see all of the individual LEDs and lenses, some appear to have a different (more blue) color.

By comparison, in the picture with the diffusers in place, the LEDs that are more "blue" have a less pronounced ring effect through the diffuser sheets. It looks like the lenses are bad.

Possible repair options:

You may try to pop off a few of these larger "cylindrical" lenses and try to replace with smaller "convex" lenses. By replacing a couple of cylindrical lenses with convex lenses, you can probably see an immediate effect.

See the attached photos for examples of the different lens I refer to.

I don't think the LED strips need to be completely replaced... Only the lenses (which is cheap but a lot of work). You can get 100 pieces on eBay for less than $5. The replacement lenses can be crazy-glued in place but make sure you directly center each lens over the center of the LED or you will get weird scatter patterns.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Unspun01; 03-06-2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Also, since you have the TV flat on it's back, please try a test for us to satisfy my curiosity...

1) Cut a few strips of WHITE paper 20mm wide by 120mm long.

2) Form a loop with the paper and use a piece of clear scotch tape to tape the two 20mm ends together.

3) Place the paper loops around a few of the LED lenses and re-install the diffuser sheets and turn the TV on. Please report back with a photo of the backlight appearance.

You may try it with a few different colors of paper or different materials.

Comment

If the lights are blue, they need replaced.

Comment

In picture 20190305_192113.jpg I see 9 blue leds, replace the led strips. After replacing adjust the backlight down to around 60%.

Comment

Well, problem is solved!!! I think the root cause was worn leds because of backlight setting 20/20 for over 2 years..
                          I finally bought all 6 led strips from as “used” retired from another tv with screen broken (I didn't found where to buy brand new strips)
                          The strips are exactly same model as my TV has, and they came with same kind of lens attached
                          The new strips when turned on didn't look too different to my old ones; I mean were not noticeable change in light power but the new strips don't have blue leds obviously.
                          I didn't take photos without diffusers and with both kind of strips mixed, I just attached two photos; one with hard plastic diffuser only (some irregularities but rings disappeared) and one with all the diffusers (a very good distributed white)

Thank you for all your help; You help me to troubleshot different possible causes and discard them.
                          Now I set the backlight to 11/20 😊
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up, it looks like the new LENS style will be lots of problem in the future beside bad LED's.
                              Never stop learning
                              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                If the lights are blue, they need replaced.
                                Meaning they should all be replaced, it's a phosphor thing, the ones that aren't blue will most likely be blue very shortly.

Comment

Same here with an LG , they are putting the bare chip 15x15 integrated with the strip , over time the exposed phosphor worn out .The pic is from a new strip , two years half the diodos became blue .
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Ive started seeing this on a few ku models now. Im not sure if the lenses are coming slightly loose as the LEDs are fine. Luckily for me a had donors but these Lenses used are like vestel which is strange for Samsung

Comment

I've seen 4 or5 like this mostly LG models.

Comment

Faulty LED diffuses , its as simple as that
                                        replace the strips

Comment

Working...
                                        X