Dim Clock LCD on Jenn-Air wall oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dim Clock LCD on Jenn-Air wall oven

I looked at your post again you say the the P/N is 71001799R.... That is the same as mine but without the 'R'. I am going to take a WAG and say that the 'R' means 'Refurbished'. So do what you will, but I'm of the opinion that the refurbishers got it wrong hence why you are here. At least for myself, I sold the no longer dim oven clock containg house two years ago so I no longer have to worry about this or the dreaded "broiler fan runs constantly" problem.

Comment

Hi Guys I am new to this forum. I need some help. I have a Jenn Air JES8850BCB slide in range with a blank LCD. After the suggestions of replacing caps on circuit board, I removed the circuit board and took to my local tv repair shop and have all 4 caps replaced. Reinstalled the board but to no avail. The LCD is still blank. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

This forum has a wealth of info so I spent some more time reading thru lots posts and found out that a copper trace on the board may have a break. Surely enough there were 2. So another try to the repair shop fixed that problem. Reinstalled the the board and again NO DISPLAY. So to recap, I replaces all 4 caps with new ones of same values and fixed breaks in copper trace and still NO DISPLAY. Any advice, please.

Comment

Did your display fade out gradually or suddenly? Post some pictures of the board.

Comment

Hi Bluto, thanks for your reply. The lcd went blank over time and has been for a few years. I did change all caps and repaired the breaks in the copper traces and one break in a transformer lead. I took for repairs at local tv repair shop and computer repair shop. Pics attached, hope clear enough. After repairs there was nothing on the display for days but suddenly dim clock numbers appeared but not to be exclaimed about as others have. A brighter display would be great tho. Any ideas. THANKS
            Attached Files

Comment

It seems like you are back where you started. In your 4th picture, it looks like you circled a bad solder joint. You might want to go over the whole board again looking for more of them.

Comment

Actually the 4th pic shows a broken transformer lead. I got it fixed. I took pics of ever inch of the board and magnified them and only 3 broken copper traces and 1 broken transformer lead were found. The C3 cap that was replaced has some give from the leads going into the cap itself. Whenever I give it a rock back and forth I can feel a slight movement in the cap. The solder connection is firm. Do you think this could cause the dim display?

Comment

Yes it could be bad. C3 (68uf) on these boards is what drives the VFD and causes the fade out. It is usually the only one that is bad. Try replacing it again. If you have a multimeter with a capacitor mode, you can check the capacitance of both old and new.

If you are just coming to this thread and don't want to read all 11 pages, start by replacing C3 to fix the faded out clock. I replaced all caps on mine but it was not required. I can't edit the first post or else I would clarify.

Comment

Hi-
                    Just joined after reading about all the dim displays but didn't see anything mentioning microwaves. I have a Jenn Air JMV8166BAS, installed in 2007 with a display that has gradually gone dim but still visible in low light. Only problem is this is a combo microwave and hood mounted above the stove, I would hate to take down to open up only to find a sealed PC board. Any thoughts? BTW great site and info all about caps!
                    Thanks

Comment

Did a little look around and looks like this is the board, any thoughts if the same value or may need to take apart first.
                      Attached Files

Comment

It is difficult to say just looking at that picture. But your symptoms suggest that it is a bad capacitor problem causing the display to fade. If you could post a better picture of your actual board, someone here may be able to spot something. Beyond that, a replacement of all of the capacitors on the board with high quality, low esr caps of the same values may be an approach depending on your soldering skill level.

Comment

swapping out c3 on jenn air board did not help issue. Help ???

Comment

Originally posted by bluto View Post
                            Welcome to the badcaps forums!

I guess I should have put all of that information in my original post. So after one more peek inside the oven, here are the specs and part numbers to order from Digikey. All part numbers listed are for Panasonic FC series capacitors. FM series part number shown in parenthesis where the FC series cap is out of stock at the time of this post.

On the clock module:

C1 & C4 470uF 35v P10301-ND (or the FM series: P12400-ND)
                            C3 68uF 35v P10292-ND
                            C7 22uF 50v P10318-ND

On my oven I also replaced the two caps on the power supply/relay board as a precaution. They were as follows:

3300uf 16v P10260-ND [filter cap] (or the FM series: P12373-ND)
                            47uf 50v P10321-ND [the only other cap on the board]

Of course the power supply/relay board could vary if you have a different model oven (gas for example).

Please update this thread if this information is useful and you are able to repair your clock module.
                            THANK YOU SO MUCH, this was incredibly helpful and now my oven is working! I made an account just to thank you.

Comment

Glad it worked out for you.

Comment

Just wanted to post a thank you. The display on my Jenn-Air wall oven was totally out but the oven still worked. I replace the 68uF capacitor that people had identified and the display works again.

A couple of silly capacitor questions? THe original capacitor looked fine with no obvious bulging. What is the failure mode under these conditions.

I noticed that some of the previously rebuilt boards, it looks like there is a resistor in series with the capacitor? Is that to protect the capacitor?

I was going to replace the other caps on the board but why mess with a good thing? It works now.

Take Care

Comment

Hello all. I had a dim display on my jenn air slide in downdraft range and over time it went completely blank.
                                  I read the posts on this forum about replacing a capacitor on the panel to restore the display.
                                  The other day I pulled the panel and there are three capacitors - a C3, C6 and C7.
                                  The C3 is a 47UF 250V, the C6 is a 680UF 25V, and the C7 is a 220UF 50V. I have not desoldered and tested these caps yet but wondering if anyone here knows which one is for the display? The control panel part number is WP8507P232-60.

Thanks!

Comment

I looked at a picture of the board by googling the PN and finding it on a repair parts site. Its probably C6 or C7. Those two are on the secondary (low voltage) side of the power supply. The board looks like it has a the power supply build into it. The transformer near the lighting bolt icon both seem to indicate that. The 250v 47uf capacitor near that is the primary filter cap and those usually don't go bad. If the board works fine except for the display being blank, I would try replacing C6 and C7 first.

Comment

These Jenn-Air wall ovens have the same problem as some Thermador wall ovens, one of witch i have and needs new capacitors. IIRC it needs two 470uf 35v capacitors and one 68uf 35v capacitor.
                                      I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

I just want to thank those in this post. Was staring at a $300 new board, a $115 refurb (which I bought) and ended up fixing it myself (anyone need a board :-) for 38-cents! Glad I found this post!

BigRic

Comment

Originally posted by BigRic68 View Post
                                          I just want to thank those in this post. Was staring at a $300 new board, a $115 refurb (which I bought) and ended up fixing it myself (anyone need a board :-) for 38-cents! Glad I found this post!

BigRic
                                          Wow, if you'd be inclined to sell it to me, I need one. My partner tried the fix and really fried the board bad. Hadn't practiced beforehand.

Comment

Working...
                                          X