Old 10-13-2021, 09:41 PM   #41
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: Topcat's Other Misc Weird Build Thread

Ok, I ended up with a couple more of these turds in big tin cans a couple weeks ago....

What better to rehouse this than some HP slimline 3000 series AM2 with a bad motherboard.....

The board. I added a 40mm fan to the forward side of the sink. The original case had a 90mm fan drawing air across this sink....and we all know AMD stuff running hot! This slimline had no case fans other than the one in the PSU, which was removed....so I figured something had to be added. This ended up being a bit of a goof, but easily remedied....more later.

Now popped the original IO shield and had to mod the new one for the wifi antenna. I didn't do the antenna in the PSU blockoff plate this time, the cable was too short.

Drilled and DEBURRED!

Now to debadge the case....

Done.

Test fired, booted Hiren's.

Here's where the fan interfered....the optical was hitting it. The solution was simple, relocate it to the AFT end and have it drawing across the sink instead of blowing. Worked like a charm. Yea, looks a little ghetto with the zipties, but it's not going anywhere. There was no cleaner way to fasten it with screws....

A little more engineering....the tabs that held the lower part of the bezel on were broken off.....so I shaved the alignment pins flush with the steel and ran a couple screws into them. Perfect!

Now to fit it for a 2.5" HDD without having to waste an adapter tray (keeping costs down). Simply marked & drilled the 3.5" cage.

I had to use the most flush screws I could find, otherwise it dragged on the ceiling of the cage housing.

...and done!!!

Specs are an AMD APU E2 with 8gb RAM. The spinning 2.5" HDD is just temporary, I'll get a cheap SSD for it.....but here's to one saved from the shredder & repurposed....without the big ass useless tin can case. No OS installed, just used Hiren's and Mint Live boot for testing....I'll install an OS when it gets rehomed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bunker_6367.JPG (309.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg hp_6372.JPG (327.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg hp_6374.JPG (321.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg hp_6375.JPG (332.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg hp_6377.JPG (318.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg hp_6378.JPG (288.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg hp_6379.JPG (231.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg hp_6380.JPG (270.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg hp_6383.JPG (299.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg hp_6386.JPG (301.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg hp_6387.JPG (239.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg hp_6389.JPG (331.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg hp_6390.JPG (296.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg hp_6391.JPG (285.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg hp_6392.JPG (328.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg hp_6394.JPG (305.9 KB, 32 views)

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List

Motherboard Repair Services

If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #42
momaka
master hoarder

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
Ok, I ended up with a couple more of these turds in big tin cans a couple weeks ago....

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1634181990
Ah.... HP "Engineering" again. *sigh*

I never understood why they did that. Such a waste of metal and space. Granted those cases are made of really really thin steel... but still a waste.

Quote:
What better to rehouse this than some HP slimline 3000 series AM2 with a bad motherboard.....

Let me guess... model number on that board starts with M2N (looks like M2NC51-AR)... so by that, I can only guess it's an nVidia (a.k.a. "noVideo") chipset. If so, that probably explains it all.

If it was a socket 939 system and had a Athlon 64 X2 CPU, certainly save those, as they are getting harder to find. AM2... not so much. In fact, AM2 is pretty much scrap value now... unless you specifically want to run WinXP on something dual-core and "proper" from that era... but dirt-cheap.

*EDIT*
yeah, I see an nVidia sticker on the case...

Quote:
The board. I added a 40mm fan to the forward side of the sink. The original case had a 90mm fan drawing air across this sink....and we all know AMD stuff running hot!
The AMD APUs run pretty cool, IME. It's just that the stock heatsinks that come with these systems are always inadequate and running either a tiny fan or no fan at all, thus relying on the rear fan (like it was with the original big tincan HP cases above.) It's unfortunate these soldered APUs don't have an AM2 mounting bracket or provision to mount any other kind of heatsink. Otherwise, even a stock slim Intel Al heatsink will work tons better here for cooling. But again... "HP Engineering"

Quote:
Glad to see I'm making you do extra work every time now. Wonder how many people cut their fingers on your builds before that.

Quote:
Here's where the fan interfered....the optical was hitting it. The solution was simple, relocate it to the AFT end and have it drawing across the sink instead of blowing. Worked like a charm. Yea, looks a little ghetto with the zipties, but it's not going anywhere. There was no cleaner way to fasten it with screws....

Ghetto? It looks OK to me. Probably cools better than the original 92 mm fan too, since I didn't see a shroud over the CPU HS in the original case. If HP did that, though, that would have been one helluva cool-running CPU. Dell did this back on their P4 regular tower cases, and it managed to keep those P4s cool, despite all their heat.

Quote:
A little more engineering....the tabs that held the lower part of the bezel on were broken off.....so I shaved the alignment pins flush with the steel and ran a couple screws into them. Perfect!

Brilliant solution! It's like those plastic pins were made for that.

Quote:
Now to fit it for a 2.5" HDD without having to waste an adapter tray (keeping costs down). Simply marked & drilled the 3.5" cage.

I had to use the most flush screws I could find, otherwise it dragged on the ceiling of the cage housing.

Neat! I've had to do that before as well.

BTW, if you have a center punch with a larger diameter than the screw head, you can use that to make a flare around the hole in the steel cage. This will also raise the HDD a few mm away from the metal parts... though I don't know if that could also make the original cage not fit 3.5" HDDs anymore, due to the flared metal holes sticking out.

BTW x2... how come you're not re-using the original 3.5" HDDs? Too slow? I suppose if you're going with Windows 10, that's a good enough reason. But for Win7 and older, I still don't mind 7k2 RPM spinners. Every now and then, I still buy 250 GB 3.5" HDDs from Ebay for pretty much the price of shipping. Seems like no one wants HDDs that small or that old. I use them on Win7 machines, and depending on the config (and drivers that have to be loaded), some systems take less than 20 seconds total to get to desktop from pressing the power button.

Last edited by momaka; 10-14-2021 at 11:16 AM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #43
lti
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Windsor, Colorado

Only having one WiFi antenna and leaving the second antenna connector open is another quality bit of HP "engineering." In this case, there appears to be a second antenna on the front of the case, but I've seen laptops with one antenna.

HP is still using the old Compaq Torx/slotted combo screws, too. It just reminds me of the computers that taught me to save often in case they locked up.
lti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:43 PM   #44
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Ah.... HP "Engineering" again. *sigh*

I never understood why they did that. Such a waste of metal and space. Granted those cases are made of really really thin steel... but still a waste.
Agreed. It will be redeemed though, I devised a case crusher using my fork lift. It flattens them out the size their footprint size but about an inch thick. I have the cabin of a junk car filled with many horrible junk cases that are crushed....just waiting to be taken to the steel recycler! They will live again, hopefully as something useful!

Quote:
Let me guess... model number on that board starts with M2N (looks like M2NC51-AR)... so by that, I can only guess it's an nVidia (a.k.a. "noVideo") chipset. If so, that probably explains it all.
Yup. M2NC51-AR....and yup, no video.

Quote:
*EDIT*
yeah, I see an nVidia sticker on the case...
LOL...not that you didn't already know...

Quote:
It's unfortunate these soldered APUs don't have an AM2 mounting bracket or provision to mount any other kind of heatsink. Otherwise, even a stock slim Intel Al heatsink will work tons better here for cooling. But again... "HP Engineering"
Indeed, soldered. Heatsink attaches with the little anchors & hooks like an old world northbridge sink would attach.

Quote:
Glad to see I'm making you do extra work every time now. Wonder how many people cut their fingers on your builds before that.
That will live on in any build that deburring is required!

Quote:
Ghetto? It looks OK to me. Probably cools better than the original 92 mm fan too, since I didn't see a shroud over the CPU HS in the original case. If HP did that, though, that would have been one helluva cool-running CPU. Dell did this back on their P4 regular tower cases, and it managed to keep those P4s cool, despite all their heat.
The CPU would get warm, but not alarmingly so....I still fanned it anyway.

Quote:
Brilliant solution! It's like those plastic pins were made for that.
They had to be shaved about 3/16" to flush up with the steel, otherwise the bezel would still be loose and flop around on that bottom side. It's rock solid now.

Quote:
BTW, if you have a center punch with a larger diameter than the screw head, you can use that to make a flare around the hole in the steel cage. This will also raise the HDD a few mm away from the metal parts... though I don't know if that could also make the original cage not fit 3.5" HDDs anymore, due to the flared metal holes sticking out.
Noted. Ones originally like that are stamped with a press...but yea, a punch and a little finesse would totally work in that case.

Quote:
how come you're not re-using the original 3.5" HDDs? Too slow? I suppose if you're going with Windows 10, that's a good enough reason. But for Win7 and older, I still don't mind 7k2 RPM spinners. Every now and then, I still buy 250 GB 3.5" HDDs from Ebay for pretty much the price of shipping. Seems like no one wants HDDs that small or that old. I use them on Win7 machines, and depending on the config (and drivers that have to be loaded), some systems take less than 20 seconds total to get to desktop from pressing the power button.
The original spinner was a seagate 160gb full of bad sectors. Odds are when rehomed, it'll be doomed with 10....it originally had 8.1 on it, so 10 will activate without any smoke & mirrors....unless I could talk them into 7 or Mint....but most people believe the hype that 7 is insecure...and look at you like you grew another head when you say Linux Mint...
Old 10-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #45
momaka
master hoarder

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Quote:
Agreed. It will be redeemed though, I devised a case crusher using my fork lift. It flattens them out the size their footprint size but about an inch thick.
Oh yeah, I saw that in the cheap scores thread when I scrolled through it briefly last time.

Neat way to get rid of cases that aren't worthwhile.
Though I saw the front panel and/or USB/front audio headers were left on a few of the cases. I suppose you have enough of these that don't need any more? They make great retrofits for older beige cases, otherwise, when front USB or audio are needed... or just to replace the crappy cables on an otherwise well-built no-name case (seen a few like that.) Actually, I had to temporarily do a fix on one like that. The USB 2.0 front ports kept dropping out flash drives or Windows saying it's an unrecognized device. A few wraps of aluminum foil, tape, and a grounding wire later, and that fixed the issue with unrecognized devices. Then added an electro cap for filtering + power transients right on the USB port, and that healed the issue with devices dropping out on power-up. But in reality, I really should change that crappy front USB cable. I have one I saved from an HP case that was going to get junked by someone. I keep it in my spare bin for testing certain bare motherboards, though.

Quote:
LOL...not that you didn't already know...
Yeah, the Vista sticker was a good giveaway clue too. Whoever had that system got the "best" "fully loaded" package - Windows Vista and a crappy nVidia chipset. I mean, what could go wrong?

Quote:
Indeed, soldered. Heatsink attaches with the little anchors & hooks like an old world northbridge sink would attach.
Oooof. Let's hope they put some good thermal compound in there then.

Quote:
That will live on in any build that deburring is required!

Quote:
The original spinner was a seagate 160gb full of bad sectors.
Really? HP put that kind of small HDD on the AMD APU system?
I guess that's a double-whammy with the big hollow tincan cases: so not only you get big empty case, but also big 3.5" HDD that's only 160 GB. Wow!

Perhaps the HDD wasn't original to that system, after all?
Also, which series was the Seagate? 7200.9 or later. If 7200.9 or earlier, it might still hang around with some useful life.

Quote:
but most people believe the hype that 7 is insecure...
Well, that's what happens when "IT Professionals" write clickbait articles for major "news" sites. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this rhetoric on Yahoo! articles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lti View Post
Only having one WiFi antenna and leaving the second antenna connector open is another quality bit of HP "engineering."
Funny you mention this.
I did the same thing, and on a HP mini desktop PC nonetheless , because with both antennas connected, I was getting more frequent WiFi dropouts than with one antenna. In retrospect, though, that might have been an improper solution, as it seems now that the WiFi at my parents' apartment just seems to drop out at certain timeframes of the day, regardless of anything else. It's not the router either (already replaced with another)... nor the ISP (doing a ping to the router's IP - 192.168.1.1 - for 1000 packets, I can confirm the connection drop happens between router and device/PC and not ISP.) Removing one antenna seems to drop the WiFi speed of the connection... but somehow the connection seems to dropout less frequently then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lti View Post
HP is still using the old Compaq Torx/slotted combo screws, too.
I genuinely dislike those. If you have a torx driver with a long handle, perhaps it would be tolerable. I don't so I have to use one of those drivers with the short replaceable bits. Problem with that is, the screwdriver handle's body is sometimes too thick to reach in certain areas... and HP always has one or two screws in such areas. Flat heat is not a good alternative either, because I can never grab the screw with it and then move it to the hole without it falling from the screw driver, even if the screwdriver has a good magnetized head.

Don't get me wrong - I like Torx screws for certain applications. But PC cases isn't one of them.

Last edited by momaka; 10-14-2021 at 08:53 PM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM   #46
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Quote:
Neat way to get rid of cases that aren't worthwhile.
Any of these really flimsy black cases meet the crusher. The old world gray HP cases (as ugly as they were), I don't crush...they're built like tanks and make great sleepers...I have quite a few of them.

Quote:
Though I saw the front panel and/or USB/front audio headers were left on a few of the cases. I suppose you have enough of these that don't need any more? They make great retrofits for older beige cases, otherwise, when front USB or audio are needed... or just to replace the crappy cables on an otherwise well-built no-name case (seen a few like that.)
I usually pull those and keep them just for that reason. I have a plastic tote full of them.

Quote:
Oooof. Let's hope they put some good thermal compound in there then.
It wasn't terrible....but I cleaned it off and buttered it up with some fresh AS5

Quote:
Really? HP put that kind of small HDD on the AMD APU system?
I guess that's a double-whammy with the big hollow tincan cases: so not only you get big empty case, but also big 3.5" HDD that's only 160 GB. Wow!
I lied....it was a 500gb seagate. I don't know why I had 160 in my brain when I typed that....old age I suppose....but yea, full of bad sectors.

Quote:
Perhaps the HDD wasn't original to that system, after all?
Also, which series was the Seagate? 7200.9 or later. If 7200.9 or earlier, it might still hang around with some useful life.
It probably was. It's in a big box of bad hdd's I have here....I take them to the Sheriff's department and give them to them. They take them to the range and use them for target practice.

Quote:
I genuinely dislike those. If you have a torx driver with a long handle, perhaps it would be tolerable. I don't so I have to use one of those drivers with the short replaceable bits. Problem with that is, the screwdriver handle's body is sometimes too thick to reach in certain areas... and HP always has one or two screws in such areas. Flat heat is not a good alternative either, because I can never grab the screw with it and then move it to the hole without it falling from the screw driver, even if the screwdriver has a good magnetized head.

Don't get me wrong - I like Torx screws for certain applications. But PC cases isn't one of them.
I dont mind them....it just annoys me when they're hybrid; some philips some torx....and then I have to go get extra tools...