Onkyo TX-NR609 New DSP chip fitted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Onkyo TX-NR609 New DSP chip fitted

Just thought I'd relay my experience here in the Land of Oz with this well-known Onkyo DSP fault. My receiver is actually the TX-NR509. Service agent here is AmberTech. Great service when talking through the issue with their service tech. I was told they request a replacement board from Onkyo and re-fit it. However when the repair came back it failed again almost immediately. A look at the replacement board indicated it was a re-worked board; could see the flux stain around the DSP chip. No argument when I contacted AmberTech; back it went again. Came back with an obviously new board and fingers-crossed, seems to be working fine.
    Remember people, this repair program concludes at the end of 2018. If you are having issues don't waste time.

Comment

I thought, that the end was 2017. They have extended it?

Comment

I think we need to add in a new step when teaching kids fault-finding techniques. "Step 0: Google the model number and brief description of fault."
        My receiver had been acting bizarrely for a few months, sound drop outs, then nothing coming out. I kept blaming the kids in the house who love rearranging the rats' nest of cables at the rear of the receiver to use their gaming devices. Eventually when I convinced myself the receiver was at fault I decided to open it up and have a look. Of course, all looked pristine and extremely high-tech. It was then I remembered 'Step 0 of Fault Finding'. And all the references to this DSP fault referred to the repair program running until end of 2018. And certainly the service agent here in Australia honoured that.

Comment

Do you mean, checking online for the recall, before you open the receiver.

Comment

Yes, even before removing any covers, Google-search first. In this case, once I realised there was a recall program in place, I did nothing further; someone else's problem now to fix it.

I mainly try to repair TVs as a hobby (as you'll see from my other posts). So even with TVs, don't remove any rear panels until searching if there is a known common fault.

Got a strange problem with your car? Google-search it. I had a local mechanic going mad trying to find why my 4x4 had lost all power. After about two weeks (and he is a good guy; not a rip off merchant) he said he was stumped. Manufacturer offered no useful guidance to him. So I Google searched the problem. Answer: 'Replace the catalytic converter'. His response: "That couldn't possibly be the cause of complete loss of engine power, but if you are prepared to pay for it, I'll do it." You can guess where this is going? To use the Aussie vernacular, he said "Well, bugger me!" when it solved the problem. It wasn't logical, can't be explained why it was the cause and the solution, but people had reported it on the interweb and therefore Google found it.

Comment

I actually had an issue like that, with my old Mazda MX6-V6. It was barely rolling.

Comment

My receiver has no serial number, It looks like it was peeled off, probably a big red flag as to not having it repaired for free? DSP issues? No net (grayed out) no USB init, I do get DIRECT sound (only) from FM, and I do get audio/video as well as pass through via front HDMI port. No speaker icons.

Comment

can you access via JTAG without chip in place/functional? I have both DSP and HDMI chips off board and need to find if the onboard firmware is corrupt. USB and upgrade were grayed out when chips were onboard as well as speaker matrix display.

Comment

Hi!
                    First, sorry because my bad english.
                    I ordered a new chip for my tx-nr609. Chip is 830K013DZKB4. I don't have question marks at dsp version. I am able to connect with remote app. I am updated the firmware from usb without problem. The network and usb working. But, if i want to play music from usb or from internet the sound is cutting out. From analog tuner i got sound without problem. Already flashed the nand. What is the problem here? If the chip fake, than i don't have a dsp version and no sound. Thanks!

Comment

I gave up on mine after I bought a ball grid template and the solder balls. Never could get the solder to set and get the template off! Bought a net enabled Sony used for cheap. Nasty GUI interface but it works and bluetooth gets more use than net play.

Comment

When I sent mine back in the recall program, the first time it came back the problem was still present. I opened it up to find they'd used a re-worked board. It went back again and a new condition board was used and the problem appears to be resolved.
                        Lesson: I don't think even the professionals are able to rework these boards successfully. So we amateurs have almost no hope!

Comment

Yes, these boards are 100% automated on the assembly line. You can't just drop a chip on a presoldered board and have it reflowed without affecting all the other components without heat shielding and very precise temperature control. Plus these replacement chips come without solder balls (at least the one I bought) so that is another hurdle just to re-ball them, then you have to reflow them! Enough to make you pull your hair out. I resorted to manually placing the balls on the fluxed pads, all 256 (or whatever the count is them) then watched about 30 of them gravitate toward their neighbor and congeal under the toaster oven heat source. The ball grid template is the way to do it but I just could not figure out how to lift the stainless template clear after the refow without picking up 25 balls or having it soldered tight to the chip. Place a heatsink on that new boards chip!

Comment

I operate a not-for-profit 'Repair Cafe' in our local area. I'm completely frustrated by 'modern' and usually VERY expensive electronics that cannot be repaired at component level. And of course the manufacturers cease to make spare part boards available after a very short few years. I'm trying to stop electronics going into waste, but it's becoming impossible to repair most modern high end gear.

Comment

I've repaired a few Pioneer AVRs with both BGA and QFP DSP chips. Replacing the BGAs is hard to do by hand and sometimes they don't work, even with claimed 'new' chips. Some units have taken 2 or 3 attempts before they work again. The DSP firmware is almost always corrupted from upgrade attempts after DSP failure.

I bought a reballing kit as too but despite carefully placing 256 balls on tacky flux with the stencil I have not managed to complete the process successfully. Either the balls move when heated if the stencil is removed or the chip becomes completely stuck to it if it is left in place. I'd be interested to get any advice on a way of doing this and getting good repeatable results.

Replacing QFP DSP chips is a bit easier but even they have a large ground pad underneath that need lots of heat to remove and fit. I only got into repairing these AVRs during Covid lock down periods and at times wish I hadn't bothered!

Comment

Working...
                              X