Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel Skulltrail repair

Hey guys,

I mew hear, but i was wondering if you guys could help me. Some how my skulltrail board ended up taking just a bit of damage.

this is the total extent of it. I'm confidant in my soldering skills, but i was wondering if you guys could help me figure out where to get the replacement through board cap and had some advice from the snaped off SMD.

Thanks in Advance,
    -esk

EDIT:
    the bent over one say this on top:

SEPC

can you help me figure out where to get a replacement?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by eskamobob1; 11-27-2012, 07:55 PM.

Re: Intel Skulltrail repair

Welcome eskamobob1!
    The capacitor you mentioned is a Sanyo SEPC series (OS-CON) 270uF 16V unit.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I answered you in the xtremesystems forum. Here is a replacement:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...018-ND/1136108

The small ceramic cap that's out of place in the group of 4, if it's undamaged, just resolder it. The SEPC cap should be replaced though because it looks like the lead has been ripped out.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

ty for the info the only damage i can see on the SMD is that the metal tabs on it broke off oart way down... if i can just solder it back in place that would be great ... as for the solid cap, the lead did rip out... could you guys tell me if this is the correct set of cap?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14PCS-270uF-...50147511#payId

i figure it couldnt hurt to have a few extra :p

Comment

No, forget about eBay when you have Digikey and Mouser and other good stores in US.

Get the one already linked to, it's more than suitable for your board.

PS. Replace BOTH polymer capacitors, the second one shouldn't be that high in the air as it is in your picture. It's probably also damaged.

Comment

If the metal tab on the ceramic cap is cracked part way then you should replace that cap too. Yea, marius is right, you never know what you're going to get from China. They may be real, they may be not.

I reckon the only way to find out the capacitance of those ceramic caps in order to choose the correct replacement is to measure one of the intact ones. I don't know if this has to be done out of circuit (i.e. desoldering one before measuring it)...
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
              I don't know if this has to be done out of circuit (i.e. desoldering one before measuring it)...
              It has to, they're in parallel. But agreed it's likely not damaged - i would be more worried about the trace having been ripped off the board, but even in that case, they're bypass caps so it can be soldered to something else.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

how can i test if the if the SMD is damaged? if i remove a working one and test both, so long as they both get the same results can i assume that it is fine? if not, just tell me what specs i would need to know to get a replacement. i'm not sure if my volt meter has a built it cap meter (its realy old and i dont use it much) but i will check... if not, i should just be able to calculate the measurement

as for ebay, fair enough... i think ill probably order 3-4 just to be safe (same with the SMD if i need a new one)

thanks for all the help guys. your all life savers

Comment

There's no other way to ID the ceramic cap other than to hypothesize.

Yea, you will need a meter that can take capacitance readings. If you can take some measurements of the ceramic cap, you can narrow it down to what is stocked, and then take your best guess as to what cap to replace it with.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                    It has to, they're in parallel. But agreed it's likely not damaged - i would be more worried about the trace having been ripped off the board, but even in that case, they're bypass caps so it can be soldered to something else.
                    i just reread this and im a bit confused... where else could the cap be soldered to?

There's no other way to ID the ceramic cap other than to hypothesize.

Yea, you will need a meter that can take capacitance readings. If you can take some measurements of the ceramic cap, you can narrow it down to what is stocked, and then take your best guess as to what cap to replace it with.
                    ill use my calipers to get the dimensions when i get home, and ill check the capacitance. but im a bit confused why you say i need a new one (i believe you, just asking for reasoning because im curious).. as far as my knowledge goes, so long as it tests to the same capacitance as the good one, i should be fine (as that would mean nothing was damaged other then the connector tabs being slightly shortened)

Comment

alright, so i finaly got around to measuring the SMD cap and it is 3.5mm by 1.75mm... any recomendations on how to measure the capacitance?

Comment

wont let me edit for some reason... i have just re measured and my calipers read 3.3x1.7x1.6 (LxHxW)... im guessing this means it is actulay 3.25mm x 3.75mm x 3.75mm (not sure about this last one) (LxHxW)... help on figuring out what this last measurement is suppose to be?

Comment

I think its this one:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...4-1-ND/2790896

Comment

whats the different between these three?

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...4-1-ND/2790896

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...4-6-ND/2790897

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...4-2-ND/2790868

ordering as soon as i figure this out

Comment

10V 1.5uF 3.30mm Length x 1.60mm Width x 1.8mm Height

They're all the same. The second listing is if you want them to roll you a certain amount on a reel for pick & place, and the third listing is for large quantites. If you're going to order this, use the first one 2790896.

How did you find out in the end that it's 10V 1.5uF?

Comment

10V 1.5uF 3.30mm Length x 1.60mm Width x 1.8mm Height

They're all the same. The second listing is if you want them to roll you a certain amount on a reel for pick & place, and the third listing is for large quantites. If you're going to order this, use the first one 2790896.

How did you find out in the end that it's 10V 1.5uF?
                                im still not positive, but it is what has been repeatedly recommended to me, and i cant find anything higher rated then that in the correct size (talked to a guy that actually worked on the skulltrail and he confirmed they are 3.3 x 1.6 x 1.8)

Comment

just ordered the caps and a heat gun w/ reducer... should be here next weekend

Comment

Working...
                                  X