Gigabyte GA-8ST667 bad caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte GA-8ST667 bad caps

Ok, I got another Gigabyte motherboard, but this works.

Its caps are noticeably worse than the other model, Gigabyte 8I845PE-RZ.

There are only 4 Sanyo 1500uF and the rest are 2 Choyo (one bulging) and 3 GSC. The medium sized are "Supacon" and the tiny are GSC again.

The chipset of the board is Sis 645DX.
    Attached Files

Re: Gigabyte GA-8ST667 bad caps

Re-cap it and you should be good to go. Bear in mind though, that a SiS chipset Seriously is Slow
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Slow wouldn't be the S-word I'd use for SiS.
      It would rhyme with hit.
      Be that as it may, a recap should fix it right up.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

I find that boards with SiS chipsets are slower than those with Intel chipsets, even with the same CPU and RAM, which is why I use that word (and because I NEVER use those four letter words). You cauld also say Seriously is Scrap.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

'Word' and 'Four' are four letter words.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

You know which ones I meant (the S one rhyming with hit, the F one rhyming with truck and the C one rhyming with trap)

Comment

You guys are too polite and well-mannered

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                I find that boards with SiS chipsets are slower than those with Intel chipsets, even with the same CPU and RAM, which is why I use that word (and because I NEVER use those four letter words). You cauld also say Seriously is Scrap.
                Umm. I have an ASUS P4S533 with o/b video (S=SIS)and it beats the crap out of my IBM 8926 board of similar spec using Intel chipset. Of course, it could be IBMs ridiculous BIOS, which seems to disallow any CPU changes.
                Also one of the quickest Socket "A" motherboards in its time was the
                ECS K7S5A. Beats the crap out of for example ASUS A7A (Acer ALI) chipset equipped boards. Just my 2 cents

Comment

Um c_hegge youve said crap sometimes

Comment

I did once in a quote, but that wad because I forgot to replace it with symbols, but I can't ever remember typing it out or ever using it

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
                      it could be IBMs ridiculous BIOS, which seems to disallow any CPU changes
                      I fell for that trap too, with an IBM S370 board

After rebooting with a new CPU, there are BIOS messages which look like it is rejecting the new CPU, but the trick is to press whatever keys are necessary to save and/or keep going, after which it has re-configured itself for the new CPU
                      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by lmcancu View Post
                        You guys are too polite and well-mannered
                        You REALLY don't know us very well yet.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Has SiS even started using Dual Channel RAM yet?

Comment

Originally posted by top_cat View Post
                            Has SiS even started using Dual Channel RAM yet?
                            Yes for many years now. I still have a Asus P4S800D-X (955FX sis chipset) running strong and its as fast as its counter part (Intel 965 chipset).

Comment

Heh :P

IIRC, tomshardware tested some SiS 6xx/7xx chipsets and it was able to even be better than its Intel P4 counterparts like 845/865 or something like that. I like SiS, it's affordable and gets the job done.

Comment

3 of those boards came to me and every one of them had 1 or 2 bulging Choyo 3300 6.3V caps.

I did a partial recap and used OST RLX 3300 6.3V that I took from a dead motherboard as replacement caps.

I also replaced some small Choyo or GSC caps that had somehow high esr with Teapo caps taken again from the dead mb.

They are all working fine now.

I chose to put one of them in a well ventilated case. I am curious to see how the crap and the not so crap caps will do.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by goodpsusearch; 04-03-2011, 06:31 PM. Reason: added photos of test pc

Comment

Odd that those caps would go as there is no heat source near them. Typically the ones near the MOSFETs and other high heat sources go first.

Bad caps can be just fine. You don't know if you have a good or a bad batch until they blow. That's fine for experimental use. Good caps minimize the uncertainty, necessary for selling repairs. Bad caps usually don't hold up against the heat as long as good caps.
                                  sig files are for morons

Comment

recapping with OST's? thats suuch a bad idea. if I ever replace with used caps I ALWAYS use ruby/nichi/sanyo caps, or polymers

you might be just buying the board more time
                                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                      ...used OST RLX 3300 6.3V that I took from a dead motherboard as replacement caps

I also replaced some small Choyo or GSC caps that had somehow high esr with Teapo caps taken again from the dead mb...
                                      You re-capped with used Teapo and OST?! I'm sending the snake to see you.

Comment

I was wondering how long that would take...

Send the snake to me.
                                        Last one was cooked up similar to chicken mc'nuggets only smaller.
                                        The wife called them slither drops.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X