Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GA-6VEM PS/2 ports fixed - it's not always bad electrolytics

I was given this GA-6VEM a couple of years ago
    Using VIA's PLE133T chipset, it supports Tualatins - so I replaced all bulging caps, retaining the 330uf 25v Choyos
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: GA-6VEM PS/2 ports fixed - it's not always bad electrolytics

Fitted with a Tualatin 1400-S, it was quite a snug fit in a well made IBM Aptiva case, to make a respectable performance computer
    Now, a couple of years later, I decided to use that computer to play with Linux
    Fired it up, to be greeted with "Keyboard error or no keyboard detected"
    Tried many keyboards, and only one worked - an old HP where the numeric keypad doesn't work
    By this time I'd convinced myself it must be the original Choyo caps causing the problem, so I replaced them with 1000uf 6.3v Suncon
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Made no difference - so I tried removing the battery to force a CMOS reset
      Only result was now I had the classic "Keyboard error - Press F1 to continue"
      After using the HP keyboard to set it up, I thought "Compatibility - maybe a firmware issue"
      So I reflashed to second last BIOS F7 instead of latest F8, without any improvement - same for original F4 BIOS
      By this time I was thinking of what I could use in the Aptiva case - not a lot of choice, given the snug fit
      I couldn't face shoehorning in something else where it's not meant to go, so I thought of the Asus problem from this posting
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=10
      The GA-6VEM did have a similar looking component, but C181 instead of Asus's C151 - shown in this pic at CP3, sandwiched between the keyboard fuse and the PS/2 connector block
      Attached Files

Comment

What the hell ? - I attacked it with a soldering iron, removed C181, leaving the board like this
        Attached Files

Comment

To give a perspective, here's the removed C181, sitting on one of the Suncon caps
          Attached Files

Comment

Now the acid test - was I going to get the magic smoke, or what ?
            Hooked it all up for the umpteenth time, powered on, and success
            Now it's back in the Aptiva case, and has successfully worked through some installs of XP and Linux

Comment

Congratulation. Good pics.

Comment

What's the purpose of those C181 and C151 capacitor packs, to ground noise or spikes from the I/O lines?

Comment

Working...
                X