GA-965P-S3 doesn't boot even after recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GA-965P-S3 doesn't boot even after recap

For GA-965P-S3 REV1.0 (Doesn't apply to ga-965p-ds3 which has solid caps.)

The mainboard had history of overheating, the video card is with passive cooling and SB got very hot, this could speeded up the failure.
    Firstly the Intel SATA ports failed first and the HDD controller reported intermittent errors in event viewer and PC sometimes locked. Temporary it could be fixed by plugging HDD into GSATA ports. But after couple months the PC didn't boot. Inspected the board visually and found two blown caps(didn't check the brand)

Replaced the 2 blown caps(DEC11, DEC12) 6.3V 3300uF. After that PC could be booted but only after powering on/off 2 times everytime. Now again it doesn't boot. The symptoms: the CPU cooler works but no POST beeps - nothing. What else could be at cause?

Other caps on board:
    16V/1500uF Rubycon (MBZ) 4x
    6.3V/1000uF Nichicon (HM(M)) 20x
    16V/470uF KZG 1x (gigabyte - why put different brand for 1 cap?)
    10V/100uF TEAPO (A3) 7x
    16V/100uF can't see ends with E...con (E67F) 1x

Attached Files

Re: GA-965P-S3 doesn't boot even after recap

Nichicon HM with 2001-2004 date codes are defective due to manufacturing goof.
    Nichicon Date Codes.. in H0322 .. the "03" = year 2003 [and the "22" = week 22.]
    - Need to replace all of them.

Chemicon KZG are bad and often don't bloat.
    - Need to replace all of them.

Evercon are bad but a small one like that is less likely to be the problem than HM or KZG.
    - Probably don't -need- to, but I'd replace it anyway.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by otoluk View Post
      (gigabyte - why put different brand for 1 cap?)
      You could have two or three Gigabyte same model & revision motherboards from the same factory and almost every cap can be different between them.
      Just depends on what they had that day for that spec cap.

About the age your board is Gigabyte was using KZG, HM, and MBZ interchangeably.
      What you got was luck of the draw.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

What processor is on that board?
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Thanks.
          Processor is Pentium D or something. The board is year 2006. Nichicon HM date code A0630

I will replace 6.3V/3300uF with Rubycon when they arrive and replace chemicon and evercon. Let's see.

Comment

its not the board that has a history of overheating, it's the processor. Pentium D is one of the most terribly overheating processors in the history of desktop processors. get a better heatsink on there, clean them up (heatsink bottom and cpu top), and put some artic silver on there (fine, thin layer, spread as thin as you can get it)

were DEC11/12 near the CPU?.....the heatsink might not be transferring enough heat off it and the chip itself is overheating the board, and thus the caps (why those 2 probably originally bloated)

go ahead and replace the KGZ's, thats your best bet, but I would also try an alternative CPU if you've got one, those D's draw some serious power and require some higher voltage, of a cap blew and was blown for a long period of time, it might have put too much current through the cpu vrm

oh yeah replace the nichis too, I like Sanyo's, but Panasonics are just as good
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Yeah but North and South bridges were heating a lot too and the passive cooled VGA(one bad cap on it also) maked it even worse. I salvaged the broken PC at my workplace so nothing to lose. The bad caps was around CPU of course. Reapplied the thermal paste it was hardened like a brick, almost lifted the NB .

Is there a dealer for Rubycon in Europe? I just calculated for replacement of all caps it costs 40$ locally. I just don't seem comfortable to order from badcaps the caps then will travel - Asia->USA->Europe

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                its not the board that has a history of overheating, it's the processor. Pentium D is one of the most terribly overheating processors in the history of desktop processors.
                Some Conroes seem to be the same, too.

My E4500 will get hot easily with a stock heatsink. And the E2180s seem worse.
                Makes me kind of amazed that I can OC it to where I am.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

check your voltages, make sure your PSU isn't putting too much juice to it. it would explain why it not only runs hot, but why you can overclock it well
                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

In Europe that I know of there is RS Components.

There is also a member here [Big Pope] that sells Samxon out of Hong Kong.
                    You can PM him.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Resoldered all caps except Nichicons, there are too many of them and one naughty cap pissed me off. At first it didn't boot so I thought that I failed but after CMOS reset it was back to life. Now it works again .

There was one cap witch I couldn't unsolder correctly. It has two alternate mounting holes and it was impossible to extract it. Used 50W iron and 240°C temp is it not enought? Ended up with this.

After one week of burn-in there is only one problem remaining. I can't use RAM in dual channel mode the board reboots in endless cycles.
                      What is causing this?
                      Attached Files

Comment

240°C isn't even close to hot enough. I always use at least 450°C
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

my mistake I wanted to spell 450°C just miscalculated . But the soldering iron can't push higher than that maybe I should look for chisel tip for iron. Neverless soldering the cap on side did the trick so for a now let it sits like that.

Still looking what causes the dual RAM fail.

Comment

Got it! The problem with the dual channel RAM is only when Intel QST is enabled. Strange that CMOS reset doesn't clear that, I can boot only when RAM module is set in slot3 so the QST disables automatically and then disable it in BIOS. Tried different bios and the same problem.
                            How this QST works? What interferes with it?

Comment

Working...
                            X