ECS K7S5a PRO wierdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECS K7S5a PRO wierdness

So I have this K7s5a PRO, no bad caps, but it wouldn't load Ubuntu via the CD Drive. Tried switching drives, cables ets but no luck.

A couple of weeks ago i recapped it, got rid of all the OST and G-Luxons.

Had to move the SCSI card around but finally it likes a PCI slot and I'm off to the races, board works good, runs a bit hot (53C).

The other day it wont boot. I note the CD Drive is blinking. I pull the cable and it boots up fine. But it can't read the SCSI drive. Pulled the board out of the case, went over my solder joints. Decide to try a different CPU. So I try a Sempron with 333FSB. This should not work as board only has 266FRB. But the thing boots. I put the board back in the case, it boots up at 100FSB, try to reset to 166, no boot. Pull the battery to reset CMOS, nothing. Go back to 266FSB Athlon XP, boots OK. Put the thing back in the case, boots fine, reset to 133FSB, boots fine. I can hear the SCSI drive click, but it cant find the device. Pull the SCSI drive and card for known good, no action. I then note that the SCSI card is doing the same LED flashing as the CDROM was doing!!

I'm thinking this is some timer fault.

Other than dissing ECS (I know), anyone care to comment on this odd behaviour (mine and the boards )

Re: ECS K7S5a PRO wierdness

the SIS 735 chipset can't handle that high a clock, and you're risking it by trying
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

It might handle it with ddr ram

Comment

Maybe it could use updated bios flash. Had wierd problems with ECS KT600-A boards like that latest bioes fixed it.

Comment

Agree.
          Update or at least reset the BIOS.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

I've had a few K7S5A's in the past, not a pro, but its the same chipset. the 735 northbridge cannot stably run that fast
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I wasn't actually expecting it to run @ 333FSB.

I was surprised it actually booted at all.

I was also surprised that it wouldn't reset itself on reboot.

I removed the Bios battery - no effect. It did the same thing with a 100FSB
              Athlon that I tried to set to 133 in error.

The CPU survived the mistake.

Just peculiar behaviour all around from this mobo.

Comment

Try reflashing the BIOS even if it's to the same version.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Re: ECS K7S5a PRO wierdness - GONE

So I swapped out the ECS board, tried my recapped SOYO, same deal, Then an Intel board, same thing. Finally gave up, used an IDE drive and that worked fine.

Took the same parts that had a problem, put them in another case, bingo everything works!

Somehow the non-working case must have a current leak or ground somewhere that only affects SCSI.

Could it be that SCSI, because it uses LVD (low voltage differential) is very sensitive to insufficient voltage?

Comment

Not likely.
                    LVD refers to the signal voltage, not power.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Working...
                    X