• Time
  • Show
Clear All

GA-K8NS kbc (KEYBOARD CONTROLLER)?

hello,

i have a motherboard GA-K8NS v1.1

Code:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1784&dl=1#sp
    and out of the blue PS/2 ports stopped working... so i plugged in a usb keyboard and flashed latest bios and cleared cmos... and then i realized that usb legacy was disabled and as stated above PS/2 ports do not work.
    So now im stuck on bios screen saying "cmos default loaded press F1 to enter setup or F2 to load defaults"...

any help would be nice... i have already replaced PS/2 Connector and all ceramic caps and resistor near ports, but no luck. Pin outs shows 5v as it should be
    Code:
    http://www.burtonsys.com/PS2_keyboard_and_mouse_mini-DIN-6_connector_pinouts.html
    now i was wondering does any one knows what is responsible for keyboard function and what could be damaged?

any help would be much appreciated

thx in advanced
    Im Back... sort of...

Re: GA-K8NS kbc (KEYBOARD CONTROLLER)?

5V fuse for PS/2 has probably failed

Comment

No i checked it, its not faulty. And i have 5v on 4th pin. There would be no Voltage if the fuse is blown or if something is shorted? So i guess that keyboard controller must be faulty.

I still haven't quit yet... any idea is welcome...
      Im Back... sort of...

Comment

That's odd, most BIOS will allow you to enter them no matter what the USB settings are set to (just exactly for the reason you encounter now, so you are not able to lock yourself out)
        In my experience it is just in DOS or Windows that the USB keyboard will not be found, but works fine in BIOS...

Anyway, if it is an Award BIOS you can use MODBIN6 to change the BIOS default setting to enable USB legacy support, it will of course be a tricky workaround since you will need an external flasher since you can't boot as you say...
        Just an idea...
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

5V present on the output does not mean fuse is not blown.

Comment

i replaced the fuse and i also replaced that damn ITE chip wich is according to manual keyboard controller... symptoms remain the same... look like ModBin is my only option....

thank you all for your help
            Im Back... sort of...

Comment

Working...
            X