Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macbook Pro A1706 820-00239

Hi to everyone,
    i got the MacBook Pro 13-inch A1706 820-00239 from a friend (got it from eBay at good price) because it doesn't work (it doesn't turn on) and i have to fix it.
    I took out the logic board and i noticed that it is missing one chip.

The question is:
    1) which chip is missing?
    2) if it is easy to find-buy?

Any help would be appreciated thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Macbook Pro A1706 820-00239

Hi. Welcome to the club

1) You can download the boardview (component layout) and schematics (PDF format) from this forum. Just search for '820-00239'.

Here is the direct link for the same:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ight=820-00239

2) From a quick review - appears to be a MOSFET @ U8000. It is a custom component / private labelled made for Apple by Texas Instruments.

p/n CSD58889Q3D

You can find these on Aliexpress or contact your local macbook repair shop.

Also on Ebay (prefer 100% new and original to be safe)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/lot-of-new-...-/173951557497

3) My beef - hate resellers (Ebay so far) that strip the parts off the unit and then try to pawn off the unit innocently as no idea what could be wrong with it. Got screwed by someone in California whom I will flame soon. The seller claims he took into a shop for a repair and the shop claimed it cannot be repaired so this guy sold it on Ebay - we paid top $$ for it only to find multiple parts stripped off the logic board. Then the seller claimed we are trying to scam him, the innocent seller. Bad karma coming soon - 'may his garden fail to grow this spring!!!!!'

4) To properly diagnose this unit, you will need a USB Type C power adapter and USB Type C in-line meter (bidirectional) so you can view the voltage and current being drawn when you mate with this logic board. Other tools are bound to be required such as soldering irons / hot air tools / multimeter. This hobby is a drug but very interesting. Be patient and carry on.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you very much!!!

Comment

Yeah you will need a few tools for this repair mentel. Welcome to the forum
        sigpic
        MEOWING IN THE IMPOSSIBLE UNIVERSE!

Comment

Where possible, try to get your replacement parts from certified/authorized distributor such as mouser, etc. They are more expensive but are guaranteed to be working parts. The issue I have with other resellers like aliexpress or ebay is that the parts do not always work and many time does not even tin properly. Even when they claim the are "100% new".

Comment

Better buy donor boards when they are available.

Also a MOSFET doesn't go missing by itself. Someone already worked on this, if they pulled this specific part I'd assume they at least somewhat knew what they were doing, so they probably found something wrong on this rail, such as a short to ground or a short from main power rail, and if they didn't go further to repair it they probably found out that it was not repairable due to a dead PCH. No surprise when you buy this stuff from eBay.
            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

The good news is you bought it from eBay. The return policy is great on eBay. They have a 100% money back guarantee! SO if you bought this board from eBay or computer and you can prove it was worked on and the listing failed to list this, you automatically will win the case. I would suggest returning this computer and getting your money back and buy from an honest seller that describes in detail there computers. Any seller on eBay that says they don't know whats wrong is EITHER 1. Lying or 2. They are bad at selling. Most sellers that sell broken computers take pics of the inside of the board and all the areas that are damaged even with the whole computer. Those are the ones you want to buy from. Anyone else is risky, you pretty much waste your time on eBay but at least get your money back. I have dealt with a few sellers that are shady but I always win my cases. I rarely had to return on eBay because I know what I am looking for in damaged boards etc. If the seller doesn't disclose and they give me the run around I do not buy from them. ALSO do not
              abuse the return system, I do not know who it has hit but I am sure if you do you will be punished as a buyer.

Originally posted by piernov View Post

Also a MOSFET doesn't go missing by itself. Someone already worked on this, if they pulled this specific part I'd assume they at least somewhat knew what they were doing, so they probably found something wrong on this rail, such as a short to ground or a short from main power rail, and if they didn't go further to repair it they probably found out that it was not repairable due to a dead PCH. No surprise when you buy this stuff from eBay.
              sigpic

Comment

Also to add, YES you can return AS-IS items on eBay due to listing issues. If they did not disclose the information, they failed to tell you the truth.
                sigpic

Comment

If it's sold for parts/not working and there's no explicit claim about the internal state of the device, that's on you. Seller isn't responsible for that. Please do not make it hard on the seller because *you* made the mistake of thinking a random machine bought on eBay for parts can be easily repaired. I'm sure if you were an eBay seller you wouldn't want to deal with such customers.

There is a good amount of individuals selling their own broken computer and who won't be able to describe exactly what happened and what's wrong with it, just because they don't know better. If they did they'd probably have fixed it or got someone else to fix it already.
                  If you actually get a listing where the seller describes in details the logic board conditions with pictures, then it especially sounds fishy. If they know what is what, they why would they sell it on eBay for cheap?

Of course you are not the only customer of these people on eBay. Unfortunately there are hundreds if not thousands of people looking to buy cheap easy repair MacBooks on eBay. It may have been a goldmine a few years ago, it is not anymore. Now it's just a game of luck.

Although if the seller explicitly said that it was never opened and it should be an easy repair then this is a misleading advertisement and the seller is responsible for it.
                  OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

This is the only reason I backed off - was purchased as-is and he was sticking to this claim. He also repeated that he was ready to call the police on this macbook repair shop (pretty sure he stated in San Diego) who inspected this liquid damaged macbook. After the shop said it cannot be repaired, the owner took it back and said he put it up for auction on Ebay. When we received it, the ISL9240 (surprised???) and the CD3215 (2 of them) were missing.

We purchased the unit to learn about the ISL9240 which now (months later) appears to be readily available on Aliexpress.

In the end, we got scammed by the repair shop in California. The pull-off on these missing parts is very clean.

Stuff like this needs to be investigated by under cover shows. It is high tech theft.

Comment

Of course there is sellers that are not aware and lack the knowledge and expertise to open these up and we would like to give them the benefit of the doubt. We believe if a seller states they know what is going on and it is on the contrary then someone mislead the buyer. We have had a seller sell us a computer that was water damaged Heavily and stated it wasn't, they stated the computer was working and stopped working randomly. We opened it up and saw the corrosion. We wanted to work with them but they mislead us, to come to find out the corrosion was so bad that it ate at the pads on the board which resulted in a Bad board to become a donor board basically. (They later backtracked and admitted it was water damaged) We ate the cost since we needed the board later but it comes to show that some people are misleading on eBay. I recommenced people just ask questions on eBay before buying and if you do not feel comfortable buying this stuff you shouldn't be in this market for repairs. Some sellers we had to return a device because they sold us a BROKEN LCD when we asked them if the LCD was working and they said yes. When a broken LCD on an A1707 model is gone, that hurts big time which will result in a return. Either or Like Piernov is saying, buying from eBay assuming its repairable is on "YOU". You have to come to terms acepting the costs of getting bad APPLE 's (pun intended). SO far though our experience has been pleasant on eBay when it comes to purchases. We rarely have issues on there (just a few hickups) if you really want to know who to trust, just click on the users feedback history and look at their selling feedback, and see what they sell. This gives you a rough idea who you are dealing with in MOST cases.

If it's sold for parts/not working and there's no explicit claim about the internal state of the device, that's on you. Seller isn't responsible for that. Please do not make it hard on the seller because *you* made the mistake of thinking a random machine bought on eBay for parts can be easily repaired. I'm sure if you were an eBay seller you wouldn't want to deal with such customers.

There is a good amount of individuals selling their own broken computer and who won't be able to describe exactly what happened and what's wrong with it, just because they don't know better. If they did they'd probably have fixed it or got someone else to fix it already.
                      If you actually get a listing where the seller describes in details the logic board conditions with pictures, then it especially sounds fishy. If they know what is what, they why would they sell it on eBay for cheap?

Of course you are not the only customer of these people on eBay. Unfortunately there are hundreds if not thousands of people looking to buy cheap easy repair MacBooks on eBay. It may have been a goldmine a few years ago, it is not anymore. Now it's just a game of luck.

Although if the seller explicitly said that it was never opened and it should be an easy repair then this is a misleading advertisement and the seller is responsible for it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Speaking of which I been meaning to ask Piernov something? I heard your name come across Rossmann Groups live stream. Do you watch his live streams daily?
                        sigpic

Comment

ebay is writh with dodgy boards. we see it all the time. people bringing in butchered boards that are sold as good. sadly we have even seen people buy macs that are assembled out of totally buggered parts and just sold as not working. meaning everything is no good. no scruples with some people.

Comment

Oh and some may know us as Unofficial Mac Jaswa Cozzy. i see i need to update my badcaps ID

Comment

I bought a 'won't turn on' Macbook Air a few months back. Even if it has a dead logic board, you think you can at least salvage a trackpad, LIO board and screen. Well this one literally looked like someone vomitted over the board, and I'd say whoever sold it had used it as a donor machine. PCH was fried, and about the only thing I got going was the LIO board. Screen worked but the backlight diffuser in it was shit. But I've had more wins than losses on eBay. Idea is not to spend too much.

Comment

And on the subject of shorted MOSFET's for the CPU, I did buy a dead 2015 Macbook Pro where one of the high side MOSFET's had shorted and welded itself to the board. The last repairer had destroyed the FET, left the base welded, and ripped off the gate pad to boot. I was about to put this on the donor pile when I checked the low side FET too, and it was shorted. So maybe there was hope! The CPU still measured ok so...

Turned out the driver for the FET's had liquid damage. Required a lot of surgery with jumpers as there a number of missing pads. The gate of that FET was a bitch, but there was enough copper exposed underneath to run a 0.02mm wire, and rebuild the pad with conformal coating (like the guys do with the double PCB iPhone boards). Anyway, I was shocked when the board booted, and passed all diagnostics. So it's not always a fait accompli that the board is dead.

Comment

Working...
                                X