Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help repair this relic? Philips 42PF7220A/37, pulsing buzz from YSUS

Greetings all!

Originally this set had the usual messed up video symptoms such as: horizontal lines, weak, grainy video, bottom and top of picture differ in intensity of problem. It also seemed to slow to turn on or show the messed up picture.

Seemed like must be YScan/buffer board failure. Ordered buffer boards from my distributor which were supposed to be original/new and also from another distributor, I ordered the YSUS because I wanted to replace it for preventative maintenance. (also, the YSUS had a bulged cap, so there was even more reason to suspect it could have even more wrong with it).

Before I replaced the 3 boards, I pulled the power supply and replaced the 2 usual caps C8059, C8060 (3300ufd, 10v). Out of curiosity, I tried the set to see to if it would act differently and to my surprise, it was doing something differently now. Now it would not power up and the front power LED was blinking red 7 times and the green LED on the power supply daughter board was flashing 5 times. I thought, I will wait and replace the YSUS and buffers when they come in and see what happens.

After replacing the YSUS and buffers, the symptom was still the same with the 7 red blinks on the front. With further investigation, I found that if I unplugged the power cable to the YSUS from the power supply, the error blinks would stop and voltages would come up. So I realized YSUS or buffers were an issue.

Pulled the buffers and tested for shorts, none found. What I did realize, was that the buffers definitely didn't look new. The buffer ICs on one of the boards had all been replaced and the solder on the bottom of several of the ICs hadn't flowed through at all except for one hole. Not good looking, but because they didn't test shorted, I moved on. A fellow tech told me the YSUS has an SMD resistor under the heatsink near the buffer connectors that can be tested to see if the YSUS has a definite failure. The resistor (R5063) should be 100k and I found that this one was reading only 50 ohms.

So, i tested the original YSUS and found that this resistor was showing 100k. I replaced the bad cap on this YSUS and installed. Voila! I no longer had the blinking LEDs and shutdown, BUT------after what seemed like a normal power up noise and good buzz from the YSUS (for like 1 second), the YSUS started pulsing that buzzing noise at 1/2 second intervals and the panel was priming over and over again.

I decided to try another "new" YSUS. I returned the YSUS I had ordered and they sent me a new one, installed it and still had the exact same pulsing buzz.

Now this is where I am. I suspect that buffer board, but am not sure. What do you all think?

Here's the voltages currently:

VA:70.0
    VG: 15.2
    VE: 84.3
    VS: 203.9
    Vscan: -185.2

On CN1M46 plug:
    8.6v line is good
    5.2v line is good
    12v line is good
    Attached Files

Re: Help repair this relic? Philips 42PF7220A/37, pulsing buzz from YSUS

All screws especially the Floating GND screws tightened solid and making proper contact?? Is the Z-SUS Bd. screws tightened? Any cold solder joints especially the riveted points?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
      All screws especially the Floating GND screws tightened solid and making proper contact?? Is the Z-SUS Bd. screws tightened? Any cold solder joints especially the riveted points?
      Hello. Yes all the screws are tight and no solder connections found to be bad.

Update on troubleshooting steps: I did try running it for 3 minutes with the buffers disconnected from the panel, but still connected to the YSUS and none of the buffer IC heatsinks get hot. Also the large heatsink on the YSUS stays cool. I'm wondering if I was sent another bad YSUS (bad in a different way then 1st order), but I'm still suspicious of that upper buffer's condition.

Comment

Is it safe to run the Y-Buffers disconnected?
        Are these on target with the Panel sticker?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
          Is it safe to run the Y-Buffers disconnected?
          Are these on target with the Panel sticker?
          Yes, they are all on target, I believe. The panel sticker on this one shows ranges, not exact amounts for some of the voltages.

Comment

Originally posted by Truncatedhose View Post
            Hello. Yes all the screws are tight and no solder connections found to be bad.

Update on troubleshooting steps: I did try running it for 3 minutes with the buffers disconnected from the panel, but still connected to the YSUS and none of the buffer IC heatsinks get hot. Also the large heatsink on the YSUS stays cool. I'm wondering if I was sent another bad YSUS (bad in a different way then 1st order), but I'm still suspicious of that upper buffer's condition.
            Correction^ THAN the 1st order, not then, haha.

Anyway, can anyone help me confirm a bad YSUS or something else?

Comment

bump

Comment

Please, someone?

Comment

I have tried a 3rd YSUS now and same pulsing buzz. I haven't put in the 2nd set of buffers yet because the 1st don't show any shorts and I'm really thinking the problem must be elsewhere. I'm thinking of getting a ZSUS, power supply and a logic board and just trying them all, but don't really want to have to go through all of that.

Comment

I have ordered a logic board and will try that when it comes in. As far as I can tell, the other boards are all doing their jobs.

Comment

So the logic board was replaced and a 4th YSUS and still has the same symptom. Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Inspect and resolder any cold solder joints on the Z-SUS Bd.

Comment

I would replace those 3 caps on the Z-sus also , the filter is a bit down compared to the rest. They look old. What happens when you heat up the Z-sus board with a heatgun?

Why would you like to repair this old tv? Hobby or?
                          I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Ps , the buzz could also come from the panel itself!
                            I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. After replacing the logic, the set still had the same symptoms, so I put the original logic back in and now it started working, but had a messed up picture and I found a cable from the logic to the main board not fully seated. My guess is that it may have been even further out and was causing a logic problem/main board problem. Must have gotten loose when the power supply was pulled originally or something. All is well now!

Comment

Working...
                              X