Help out a noob at motherboard repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help out a noob at motherboard repair

So, I've started another thread about changing caps, but as some users posted the problem of one of those boards (the Tyan) may not lie on the caps themselves.

The symptoms the board is showing are the following:

* When I try to use 2x X5690 (130W TDP), the board power gets cut while in POST and it refuses to power up after it. I need to disconnect power, force a "power flush" (pressing the power on while PSU is disconnected) just for the whole thing to loop.

* I tested 2x E5649 (80W TDP). Installed Windows, did a lot of RAM testing (bootable memtest86+) and it work just fine on those basic tasks. When I tried to stress test the system with Prime95, I started hearing some "fshhh" noises, that remembered me of caps venting - but none of them are actually vented out on the top. I noticed that the mouse would freeze for a second or so sometimes, and the noise stopped while on this state. It didn't take long for the board to freeze completely (about 20 secs) and the noise to stop.

* I remember testing the board with 2x 5504 (80W TDP but probably runs o a pretty low power) and the sizzling noise would be present while stress testing, but the board did hold up for the whole test.

I'm using a EVGA 750BQ which is pretty new and was used to tested another server board with 2x X5690 and fully populated RAM, no problems at all.

I own a multimeter (Aneng 8009), soldering tools, a flash programmer (TL866II Plus) and lots of spare parts to test.

Could you please try to help me out? I'm kinda lost on where should I start.
    Last edited by Snayperskaya; 05-29-2018, 10:37 AM.

Re: Help out a noob at motherboard repair

Have you tried with another PSU ?

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
      Have you tried with another PSU ?
      Not yet. But I've tried other boards with full power consumption (2x X5690, 12 modules of RAM) and it ran just fine.

Comment

I got another PSU (a Corsair HX750, brand new). When I first powered it up, it worked OK. But when I tested it the following day, the same symptoms appeared.

Comment

Working...
        X