X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ratdude's Main Rig V4.1

Made a score:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-S...torefresh=true

Looks like a good home for some extra RAM I had sitting.

Now, here's the question, which will be the better platform, this, or V3.5:

-Supermicro EATX case (not as nice as this one? Comparable in the worst case)
    -600W Seasonic PSU
    -Tyan Thunder-K8WE (SCSI version, unused)
    -3ware 9500S-4LP w/BBU
    -4x WD raptor 10k 74GB
    -8gb DDR
    -2x Opteron X2 Italy 2.6GHz
    -SLI'd twin Geforce 8600GTS

I think the above is better as the graphics are by default better (the new system has a single x16 slot and a 4x slot, and SLI was nforce-only at the time anyway).

Still, not a bad score? Good replacement for the remains of V2.5 that died (although if Topcat still wants to give away the X5DAL-G he has sitting, I'll take it! )
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Ratdude's Main Rig V_._

I think the listing has the wrong model no., as there clearly is no SCSI on this board (it's all bare PCB in that area) and assuming the board is stock, there obviously wouldn't be a SCSI backplane. There is a similar model in the same manual that had no backplane or SCSI, which I bet is the correct model.

The manual says it has a 645W PSU... looks about right as the PSU in the picture is indeed chunky.

Upon further inspection the hot-swap door appears to be broken off/missing and a filler in place of hot swap bays... which again leads me to suspect this isn't the SCSI model.

Still looks nice for the price... It will do Nocona and Irwindale CPUs.

If the PSU has any provision for PCIe GPU power, I could have some fun here... if not, more "fun" will be needed to go there.
    sigpic

Comment

hmmm...let me know if you don't use the board in that case, I'll take it off your hands. Some boards of that chipset 'unofficially' would run paxville processors.....worth a chance if you're not using it.

Do you still want that spare X5DAL-G? brethin wants it, but you get first crack....if you do, trade ya.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Hard call. I'd say let him have the x5DAL-G since this is faster... TBH Main rig 2.5 will probably be left intact as most of it's parts aren't compatible (or I have better clones of sitting). This will be a fresh build entirely. In the worst case I keep my eyes open for another X5dal for cheap.

Unless you want to trade it for the x5DAE, which is the same thing only EATX.
        Last edited by ratdude747; 10-17-2014, 12:14 PM. Reason: duh!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          Hard call. I'd say let him have the x5DAL-G since this is faster... TBH Main rig 2.5 will probably be left intact as most of it's parts aren't compatible (or I have better clones of sitting). This will be a fresh build entirely. In the worst case I keep my eyes open for another X5dal for cheap.

Unless you want to trade it for the x5DAE, which is the same thing only EATX.
          I'll sit on it for a little while until you figure it out. the x5dae wouldn't really do me any good. I'm going to pull it out of the case probably this weekend.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            I'll sit on it for a little while until you figure it out. the x5dae wouldn't really do me any good. I'm going to pull it out of the case probably this weekend.
            Yeah, It's an upgrade on one hand... on the other I don't have any "decent" PCIe GPU's floating around (minus a dead 8800GTS that needs re-reflowed in the best case)... either way, come to think of it, V2.5 is half screwed as neither AGP option gives it SATA w/o using an adapter (which I have). I may half-gut 2.5 and save the chassis for a more conventional ATX board for a future build and move some of the parts elsewhere... but then I have 8GB of useless PC2100 ECC RAM, unless I do something with the X5DAE, which would require emptying a EATX case, which would be self defeating (as that would preclude building up this new rig).

What sucks even more is I have a couple of Higher-end consumer P4 Northwood HT rigs that would be great homes for the two high-performance AGP cards I have... but non-ECC DDR isn't cheap and all I have in any decent size/quantity is 5 buttloads of ECC (to think I practically gave such RAM away long ago, ).

Decisions, decisions, decisions... Grr... Now you see why I'm split? Trading the new board leaves me with an empty case, not leaves me with a dead kickass rig sitting on the shelf. Either way I get one good rig and one pointless case. Sort of a no-win. And before somebody says "why do you need 3 main rigs, wasn't two too many?", I have an answer, and she's wearing a nice ring I gave her in June (I gotta give her something nice once we're under the same roof ).

Dumb questions: are your Paxville CPUs already in a rig? Or are they sitting out? Also, are you looking for anything else you'd consider tradebait?
            Last edited by ratdude747; 10-17-2014, 01:00 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, It's an upgrade on one hand... on the other I don't have any "decent" PCIe GPU's floating around (minus a dead 8800GTS that needs re-reflowed in the best case)... either way, come to think of it, V2.5 is half screwed as neither AGP option gives it SATA w/o using an adapter (which I have). I may half-gut 2.5 and save the chassis for a more conventional ATX board for a future build and move some of the parts elsewhere... but then I have 8GB of useless PC2100 ECC RAM, unless I do something with the X5DAE, which would require emptying a EATX case, which would be self defeating (as that would preclude building up this new rig).

What sucks even more is I have a couple of Higher-end consumer P4 Northwood HT rigs that would be great homes for the two high-performance AGP cards I have... but non-ECC DDR isn't cheap and all I have in any decent size/quantity is 5 buttloads of ECC (to think I practically gave such RAM away long ago, ).

Decisions, decisions, decisions... Grr... Now you see why I'm split? Trading the new board leaves me with an empty case, not leaves me with a dead kickass rig sitting on the shelf. Either way I get one good rig and one pointless case. Sort of a no-win.

Dumb questions: are your Paxville CPUs already in a rig? Or are they sitting out?
              The Paxville's are in a Precision470 that has gone wonky....the motherboard is quirky, keeps beeping memory codes at me, then straightens out..... CPU's are fine, I just don't have another board for them....I've been looking. Yours is a 7525 chipset, which does support the Paxville if the board is wired for it (hence 'unofficial' support), like the prec_470....some will, some wont. I have an ATI x1600 512mb in the X5DAL that we're contemplating now....it'd be up for grabs if needed. I bought that new, still have the original box for it. Genuine ATI, not a knockoff.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

The Paxville's are in a Precision470 that has gone wonky....the motherboard is quirky, keeps beeping memory codes at me, then straightens out..... CPU's are fine, I just don't have another board for them....I've been looking. Yours is a 7525 chipset, which does support the Paxville if the board is wired for it (hence 'unofficial' support), like the prec_470....some will, some wont. I have an ATI x1600 512mb in the X5DAL that we're contemplating now....it'd be up for grabs if needed. I bought that new, still have the original box for it. Genuine ATI, not a knockoff.
                X5DAL is AGP, no good. I already have 2 AGP GPUs that beat that into the ground (an XFX Nvidia 7600GT 512Mb and a HIS ATI HD4860 1Gb) so AGP won't help me here. What I'm lacking is PCIe GPUs (for the 16x Slot).
                sigpic

Comment

There is one other dumb possibility... Brethin at one point was interested in the X5DAE, if that was just as good for his purposes, he could pretty much have it for the cost of shipping (since honestly, will it ever get used? doubtfully.) PM sent
                  sigpic

Comment

X5DAL is AGP, no good. I already have 2 AGP GPUs that beat that into the ground (an XFX Nvidia 7600GT 512Mb and a HIS ATI HD4860 1Gb) so AGP won't help me here. What I'm lacking is PCIe GPUs (for the 16x Slot).
                    I've got a pair of GTX460's 1gb.....but it'd take a bit more to talk me out of those... That precison mentioned above has one of the illustrious polymodded 7600GT's....any other PCI-e's I've got are just low-end test bench grade crap....couple old ass quaddro's iirc...
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

I already have two old ass quadro's, IIRC they're geforce 6800 based (test cards).

No worry, I can always upgrade later. It's not like I'm trying to match the twin 8600's in V3.5 (yeah, good luck).
                      sigpic

Comment

has gone wonky....the motherboard is quirky, keeps beeping memory codes at me, then straightens out.....
                        Sounds like a Radeon 9600 SE I had before returning it shortly after in 2004 on my Asus A7V8X-X. The motherboard BIOS (Award) gave a video card bleep code after it was sitting then turned it on the next day!

"BLEEEEP----BLEEP-BLEEP-BLEEP" was what I got the next day!

It would then straighten out, it seemed that it had to be warmed up, despite the Radeon 9600 SE video card just being bought!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And my Soyo SY-K7VTA-B freaks out about the video card when powered up on a chilly morning. (I think that was in 2002)

Hit the power button for the motherboard to play a recording, like a telco, "THE VGA CARD MIGHT NOT BE INSTALLED PROPERLY".

But after retrying, it boots like nothing happened!
                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-17-2014, 05:21 PM.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I talked with brethin, all he wants is something with PCI-X.

Here's what I propose (I'd PM it but I no longer have the power multi-recipient PM's):

-Topcat, all I want is the board, nothing else, to include the coolers and mount brackets, which my X5DAE needs (two cracked, which I had to destroy in order to POST test the board). I'd be willing to buy/trade the bare board (or the full board, which I'd pull said parts from.
                          -brethin, I'd (if you'd pay shipping or at least half of it or something) send you the X5DAE and you'd combine it with his coolers and brackets (and if necessary I'd toss in 3GB of RAM, 6x 512mb ECC).

This way, I get the board I need, Brethin gets the PCI-X he needs, and topcat... gets some tradebait/$ which he maybe needs?
                          sigpic

Comment

the RAM doesn't go with mine, it came from my own stash. the cpu's came with it, 3.06GHz. They can stay with it as far as I'm concerned, they're not worth anything really. We'll get everything where it needs to go I imagine....lol Go teamwork! HAHA

edit

these are the exact cases I have if yuou wanted to compare the differences...
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/291146381469

new case + new system core = V4.1

/edit
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

the RAM doesn't go with mine, it came from my own stash. the cpu's came with it, 3.06GHz. They can stay with it as far as I'm concerned, they're not worth anything really. We'll get everything where it needs to go I imagine....lol Go teamwork! HAHA

edit

/edit
                              Nah, I meant 3Gb from my stash. Since 2GB PC3200 ECC sticks have gotten pretty cheap in the 4 count ($20 for 8gb IIRC?), 512mb PC2100 ECC sticks are pretty much letter openers for me.

(if only conventional DDR1 was this cheap, grumble grumble)
                              sigpic

Comment

Mine did too, but I realized after reseating the RAM that I had put dual rank memory in slots 2 & 3, with single rank in slots 1 & 2
                                It needs to be the other way around...
                                I swapped them like that and then it's been fine.
                                Obviously it worked fine the other way around too for a while... So just posting incase it's something like that for you aswell...
                                Indeed when I first got this thing from the dumpster the memory was improperly installed than aswell...
                                https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...0095239AAAJFgK
                                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                  Mine did too, but I realized after reseating the RAM that I had put dual rank memory in slots 2 & 3, with single rank in slots 1 & 2
                                  It needs to be the other way around...
                                  I swapped them like that and then it's been fine.
                                  Obviously it worked fine the other way around too for a while... So just posting incase it's something like that for you aswell...
                                  Indeed when I first got this thing from the dumpster the memory was improperly installed than aswell...
                                  https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...0095239AAAJFgK
                                  Mine are installed correctly, there's 8gb (4x 2gb 2-rank DIMM's) in slots 1~4, 5 and 6 are empty. Most the time on a cold powerup, it will beep memory codes at me. If I crack the clamshell open and wiggle them around, it starts normally. I've cleaned the DIMM's and the memory contacts till I'm blue in the face. Memory is good. That drove me nuts to the point I'm replacing the machine.....which is a shame, it performed very well for what it was.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Re: Ratdude's Main Rig V4.1

edit

/edit
                                    Not v4.1, as this is a whole new system not superior to v3.5. Hence v_._, since it doesn't fit the convention...

V2.5 will maybe be v 2.6, but this is a separate build entirely (both systems will be usable). I may move a HDD but that's at most all that will change.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Epic fail:

I beefed and forgot to note that this uses DDR2 RAM (400Mhz) , not DDR1. The listing was wrong once again (or the model number is wrong and it does use DDR1).

edit- looked, yup, the board is indeed a DDR2 board. This seller couldn't get any of the specs right?

I think I have some ECC DDR2 like it uses sitting but if not (or if what I have isn't much), I f'd up slightly (I hope it's cheap like ECC DDR1 is).

Doh!
                                      Last edited by ratdude747; 10-20-2014, 08:17 PM.
                                      sigpic

Comment

I may not be dead:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-8x-1GB-P...item43cfee7aef

would do it.

But why do that when I can:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...C+ddr2&_sop=15

The board maxes at 16GB, 8x 2gb modules. Not bad. Buying the RAM, that's too cheap! (and I thought DDR1 ECC was cheap, last i checked the price is about the same right now)
                                        Last edited by ratdude747; 10-20-2014, 08:33 PM.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X