LG 42PQ6000 - "overlying" blue tint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 42PQ6000 - "overlying" blue tint

The unit stopped while playing an avi video from USB, as if the file was corrupted (which was not). Then menus seemed messed up (language changed, some settings changed) and "demo mode" was spontaneously enabled, with half screen ("XD on") black and half screen ("XD off") apparently OK. I couldn't disable it, as the menus were not behaving properly. There was also no audio output.

I did a factory reset (from Options menu) and after the reboot the audio came back, with menus working normally. The Demo mode, still active, was now showing in the left "XD on" half the expected image (no more full black as before) but the colours were wrong, looking as if some blue, semitransparent veil, had been put on top of the screen. In the right half ("XD off"), however, colours looked normal.
    When I disabled Demo mode the right half disappeared (as expected, actually) and so now I have a whole "blueish" screen, which obviously makes the unit unusable, as long as I don't settle for staring just at menus and teletext, which still appear in their right colours, as if they were on top of the "veil".

I thought I could maybe try some "hard reset" or, at least, try to disable that "XD" algorithm (so that the right part of the Demo screen could gain priority).
    I tried those "service menus" reachable with the standard remote, but I didn't find any apparently useful options.

Before throwing the unit away I'd like to understand what happened and also to be sure that the problem is not easily solvable, for example just a software one.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestion.

Re: LG 42PQ6000 - "overlying" blue tint

Have you tried pressing ïnstop in the remote control?

Comment

I'm afraid my remote control does not have the "instop" key.

Comment

Seems to me you have a defective Main Bd.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
          Seems to me you have a defective Main Bd.
          So you think it's an hardware fault and also a severe one.

Are these TVs subject to such faults, suddenly occurring during normal operation, without any apparent cause?

Do you think it's worth trying a repair at a service center or shall I throw it away, thanking heaven for over 8 years of regular operation?

PS. Could a firmware upgrade (never done before) have any chance?
          Last edited by armando; 10-08-2018, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Is this a PLASMA or LCD TV??

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
              Is this a PLASMA or LCD TV??
              Its plasma

Comment

Originally posted by armando View Post
                I'm afraid my remote control does not have the "instop" key.
                Do you have any phone with ir blaster?

Comment

Originally posted by ducky29 View Post
                  Its plasma

Thanks, ducky29.
                  Check these voltages and see if they match what is on the sticker:
                  Vs, Va, Vsc, Ve, Vz-bias.
                  The sticker may be at the rear of the TV or inside the TV an the Panel.
                  However, my suspect is a Z-sus Bd. issue.

Comment

I suggest testing with test patterns on this model if possible using the EXT AUTO GEN feature.
                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I thank you all for your help.
                      Sadly I'm not a... proper technician, especially in electronics. I have no tools, apart from an old analogic tester and a basic electric welder with which I replaced a few not-to-small capacitors.
                      So I'm afraid getting hands on the boards and their components is beyond my reach and forces me to contact a service center.

I obviously quite dislike the idea to throw away a large tv just because of a maybe single little and cheap piece of hardware, but this seems to be somehow "normal" nowadays...
                      I'd like, at least, to be sure that the fault is actually an hardware one and that I've done, on my own, everything I'm capable off.

Do you have any phone with ir blaster?
                      I have a Galaxy S4. Is it suitable?

Comment

I have a Galaxy S4. Is it suitable?
                        Unfortunately no.

Comment

Surely whatever was on that USB stick somehow affected the firmware. I'd try playing it again to see what happens.

Comment

Unfortunately no.
                            S4 has IR blaster...I have one.
                            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Unfortunately no.
                              Do you mean that, despite the phone having an "infrared port" (according to specifications), it is not suitable for this specific task?
                              That surprises me a bit, as I came across some web pages entitled "How to turn your Galaxy S4 into a universal remote" and so I thought I was lucky.
                              I don't mean to question your opinion, as you surely know these matters better than I do. Just a little surprise and regret. :]

Comment

Originally posted by maxvalutech View Post
                                Surely whatever was on that USB stick somehow affected the firmware. I'd try playing it again to see what happens.
                                Actually I did play the file again (three times), just from the same untouched USB stick. The file played normally, with no trace of the artifacts, squares and lags experienced just before the tv stucked. It also passed without problems the very point where it had stopped. Unfortunately, however, everything was... blue.
                                Moreover, the USB stick had been used many times in the past and the file was coming from the usual computer, converted to the usual format with the usual software.

Anyway, IF something actually damaged the firmware, then the hardware should not be affected and the problem should be solvable by acting only on the firmware. Which would be good news, in the end. :]

That's why I intend to try also, before giving up, a firmware update.
                                I downloaded the necessary files a couple of years ago but I never used them, fearing that some issues could arise during such a delicate operation, but now...

Comment

Hey Armando,
                                  With your S4 you can download on the play store a App that makes a service remote out of your phone. Then you can go into service mode and check the service settings. Maybe someone else in this group can tell you what to look for. Since your on screen display is perfect it means that its possibly the way the LVDS data format is expressed.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                    S4 has IR blaster...I have one.
                                    You are correct. I checked on gsm and it did not mention having an IR blaster

@Armando download anymote on playstore and press the instop button

Comment

download anymote on playstore and press the instop button
                                      So, just to make sure I got it right:

- download and install the application
                                      - switch the tv set on (with the on-board main switch)
                                      - launch the application
                                      - press the instop button shown by the application
                                      - see what happens on the tv screen

Is that all right or am I missing something?

Comment

So, just to make sure I got it right:

- download and install the application
                                        - switch the tv set on (with the on-board main switch)
                                        - launch the application
                                        - press the instop button shown by the application
                                        - see what happens on the tv screen

Is that all right or am I missing something?
                                        Yes try that. The set looks like its stuck in demo mode.

Comment

Working...
                                        X