Dell Dimension 4500 bad cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Dimension 4500 bad cap

Have a client with a dead mobo, won't even turn on. Didn't notice the bulged cap until I started removing the mobo. The brown cap is a KZG 6.3v 3300uF. I suspect the green one has a bulged bottom, gonna desolder it and see what's up. It is a TEAPO 16v 2200uF. see pics...

I was reading another thread that their Dimension 4550 had some noisy mosfets as well. I hope that isn't the case with this one. I assume it's a similar board. *crosses fingers*

I'll update later...
    Attached Files

Re: Dell Dimension 4500 bad cap

Is the case well ventilated? I'm just thinking because the KZG caps don't really like heat and that's usually why they fail. Otherwise, they are decent caps. Teapo on the other hand is crap when used on motherboards. I dunno, but I tend to notice that Teapos last longer in PSUs.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

That I know of Teapo problems are only seen on older motherboards.

No one I know of has used 8mm or 10mm Teapo on MoBo's for a few years now.
      I still see 4 and 5 mm on newer mobos now and then but those never did have significant problems even on old boards.

I see 8mm, 10mm, and up Teapos in newer PSU's fairly often and they don't seem to have any problems.

I think maybe Teapo got better but mobo manufacturers are afraid to use them for caps big enough to read the name easily because of the earlier problems.
      [same-same with CapXon].

Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Success!!! I replaced those 5 caps and all is well, at first I didn't think it was working because the comp would shutdown after about a minute or less of being on, Turns out I didn't have the CPU heatsink clamped down all the way. doh!

Comment

Working...
        X