Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No brand is safe due to rampant counterfeiting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No brand is safe due to rampant counterfeiting!

Originally posted by willawake
    do you have pics?

I don't have pictures of the particular board, but they're the United Chemicon LXV series at 6.3V. I've replaced about 4 of these boards, and i have one that hasn't seen enough use to fail yet, although i'm sure if i put a Tbird 1.3 on it, and ran it for a few months straight with Prime95, it would probably pop the caps.

Comment

I meant to say that a smaller rated capacitor (a 2200uF 35V or even a 10uF 50V unit) hidden in a 6800uF 50V can.
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

on Chemi-con site dated March 31 2006

Buyer Beware
        To all of our Customers:
        Recently, we have seen a substantial increase in the number of incidents of counterfeit Chemi-Con capacitor products in the marketplace.
        Please protect yourself: only purchase Chemi-Con capacitor products from officially "FRANCHISED" Chemi-Con Distributors and Representative WorldWide!!!
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Damn - I just bought some LXZ that looks genuine. I thought that only Rubycon was popular target of counterfeiters.

Comment

if you deal with known good supplier then dont worry.

Comment

here is another thing to watch out for when buying boards - lookalikes. not exactly what chemicon is talking about in their warning though. anyway if the board is only examined quickly from far away they appear to be chemicon KZG but actually they are Evercon.

evercon

evercon and one KZG in the middle, from the bottom. evercon are not even using consistent bung style. i have about half with one style and half with the other, same date codes.

evercon and one KZG in the middle, from the top
              Attached Files

Comment

I'd be shocked if I manufactured equipment using Nippon Chemi-Con capacitors, finding some were counterfeit.
                I think you should ask Nippon Chemi-Con about the counterfeit capacitors, mentioning the "Evercon" brand with pictures.
                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Evercon is not a counterfeit, merely a passing look-alike (with different printed markings). It's very easy to distinguish an Evercon from a Chemicon. It's harder to distinguish a small Samyoung from a Chemicon.

The problem is with counterfeits that use exactly the same markings and text, down to the font, as the original. So far, I have encountered only suspect Rubycons (usually large cans and a few YXG) and a few Panasonic (of undocumented/outsourced series - HFA, HFE, FF, FJ). In some cases, the suspects turned to be authentic, but with non-standard can dimensions - Rubycon YXG 1000uF/6.3v in 8x12 is a case in point.

Comment

In some cases, the suspects turned to be authentic, but with non-standard can dimensions - Rubycon YXG 1000uF/6.3v in 8x12 is a case in point.
                    If a customer has sufficient volume, companies such as UCC will do semi-customs.
                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Found something about fake capacitors (can-type for AC) on http://twilight.saic.com/qawg/scitre.../APPENDIXA.htm

Polished surfaces scratched or dented
                      Termination lugs scarred
                      Buildup of debris and dirt in termination guards
                      Plain packaging (no manufacturer bar codes)

Some might mark higher than normal voltage ratings on the capacitors, then someone gets annoyed when they fail prematurely.

Comment

Just a quick question. I have a bunch of what appear to be Chemicon except in the middle of the shield logo is a dot. Can is black with silver graphics. I had not encountered any with the dot in the center of the shield before.

Are these legit?

Thanks,
                        Bill
                        Thanks,

Comment

Sorry,
                          I meant to add that they are LXV series that Chemicon's site says are power supply caps, but I pulled them from an old socket 7 motherboard.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by gg1978
                            I don't have pictures of the particular board, but they're the United Chemicon LXV series at 6.3V. I've replaced about 4 of these boards, and i have one that hasn't seen enough use to fail yet, although i'm sure if i put a Tbird 1.3 on it, and ran it for a few months straight with Prime95, it would probably pop the caps.

Here are photos of the caps I was asking about, are they similar to the ones you noted? These are 1500uf 10v LXV pulled from an old socket 7 board.

Sorry the pics are not better. All my good cameras are 35mm still out of digital step, I guess.

Bill
                            Attached Files

Comment

Not Chemicon.
                              That is old Sam Young logo.
                              http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/pqrst.html#samyoung
                              Mann-Made Global Warming.
                              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                              -

Comment

what about Rudoycons? lol

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                                  i have seen this with other parts.sanken and toshiba power transistors for power amps.
                                  motorola transistors esp mj150xx types.
                                  it was hell finding a dist. with genuine motorola parts when a customer needed some cnc motor drives rebuilt.they had some counterfiet parts from the last place that rebuilt them.they would run with no load on the motor but under load they went off with a bang!
                                  Per post
                                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=X-power

Might it be possible, the 2K2611 I got from a seller in China are fakes?

I ask, as only when a load (only 4 HDDs) are attached to the PSU,
                                  it fails to start. For all other intents and purposes, the PSU appears
                                  good. I thought it might be the protection circuit and most recently,
                                  thought about pulling the startup resistors to test them.

Any advice appreciated

Thx

Comment

I found a Chemi-Con 400V 22uF LXF unit in a DVD player, which had an "X" vent having different angles. They discontinued LXF series units years ago, and they never made a 400V unit of that series.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil_123
                                      Like this?

sorry to bring up an old pic, but that is the funniest bad cap picture i have seen in a while! bump for historic purposes!
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

hey at least when it explodes it will be contained!

Comment

i wonder if the fact fuhyyu primaries are so lightweight has anything to do with that...
                                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                                          X