What's the worst brand of capacitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the worst brand of capacitor

^^The title says it all. What brand do you vote as the worst? I'd say probably GSC/Sacon, since they're the only brand I see fail after only 3 months use. I'm not going to bother doing a poll here, because there are more brands than available poll options.
    Last edited by c_hegge; 10-17-2011, 09:58 PM.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Re: What's the worst brand of capacitor

UCC KGZ. At least with most other bad brands they bloat when they die and you can easily tell which ones to replace
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Either:
      Fuhjyyu - what a pain to pronounce/spell
      Rulyon - LOL
      Sacon - Fucking Shizzle

Comment

Rulycon, with Capxon a close second. Talking PSUs here.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
          Rulycon, with Capxon a close second. Talking PSUs here.
          I haven't seen a bloated crapxon yet

Comment

Originally posted by bestsystem View Post
            I haven't seen a bloated crapxon yet
            I've just had a shorted one kill a primary transistor. And a couple folks with their monitors had bloated capxons even in the primary.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by th3_un1qu3 View Post
              i've just had a shorted one kill a primary transistor. And a couple folks with their monitors had bloated capxons even in the primary.
              +1

Comment

Teapo, seems every one I encounter is in need of replacement.

Comment

At least someone agrees with my that teapo are total junk

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

If we're going by what I've seen bloated/failed on a regular basis....we can say Rubycon, Panasonic, Nichicon, Sanyo, Samxon, UCC.....I've seen them all. Ohh wait, you're wondering about the REALLY crappy ones...

FWIW, the high-end brands I've only seen fail due to overheating....mainly in Dell and HP toasterboxes & iMacs.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

this is a moving target.right now capxon in hdtv's and monitors.then samxon.while some of theirs are on the "aceptable" list they have some series that are always failed when you see them.like gf.

Comment

Fuhjyyu, Rulycon, GSC, Jamicon, CapXon, Just to name a few.
                        PSU, I would say Fuhjyyu. Rulycon are just as bad though.
                        M/B, I would say GSC. OST, Teapo, KZG, are just as bad.

Comment

Is an "Elite" polymer more reliable than it's electrolytic equivalent? If companies more to more polymer caps we might see new brands to go on the list.

Comment

I'm not liking these new "Enesol" polymer capacitors...

I'm seeing them being used quite often in PSUs and in "all polymer" motherboards...

The caps very often have insufficient markings, so there's no way to know what values it has, and they don't seem as reliable as more recognizable polymers....

I'd even prefer Capxon polymers... I think the Capxon polymers are good... They're just now being introduced in lower-end motherboards.
                            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

That's quite interesting mockigbird because i've seen Elite and Capxon polymers but not Enesol. What's the brand on the top like?

Not seen one fail yet. Not sure if it's possible to make a "bad" polymer.

Comment

For example, the new Platinax 600W Review at hardwaresecrets:

And on the new TX550M that seems to be making its rounds among the review sites:

Values are there, but there is no way to determine the series. PCBONEZ has tried... In their catalogue, they do show markings on their caps that have to correlate, since it is in the catalogue, but as you can see, the ones they ship have no series printed on them...
                                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

That's worrying if they have poor reliability. Do you know of any reported failures as of yet?

Comment

My two cents: GSC/Evercon/Sacon/etc. Absolutely horrible.

I've never seen a single bad Hitano, incidentally.

In fairness, every good brand seems to have its share of off-days and misfires. I've had to replace more Chemicon KZG's than I'd like to (including two that just evaded my notice earlier today), and I am still trying to come to terms with Rubycon MCZ's occasional intolerance of heat. (Must be a trait common to the ultra-low Z lytics?)

It gets real annoying when certain series are known for failing without any obvious outward signs. Lacking the right tools for the job (if I had the money to afford a good ESR meter I wouldn't do this!), my method for testing rows of suspect capacitors is rather simplistic and crude: pick one of the row, cut it with a pair of pliers or metal cutters, and seeing if it hisses, and/or leaks or spits fluid. Once I cut a non-bulged Nichicon HN(M) that viciously spat little blobs of electrolyte - it was definitely under some serious pressure inside.
                                    The ever-amazing (and ever-affordable) KY, Chemi-con's best kept secret.

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)

Comment

Originally posted by Rulycat View Post
                                      Not seen one fail yet. Not sure if it's possible to make a "bad" polymer.
                                      It is. Most polys actually have a wet polymer electrolyte and are essentially a hybrid cap. If the manufacturer leaves out that chemical that prevents electrolysys (which was what caused the plague with electrolytics), the poly will eventually fail, but without a vent stamp, the can will go into orbit. AFIK, the only true solid polys are chemi-con PS_ and Nichicon L_

Comment

MCZ isn't sensitive to heat... MCZ is sensitive to INSANE levels of heat combined with unreasonable amounts of ripple... When you combine these two factors in an older computer - firstly, that the power supply's capacitors are no longer filtering enough ripple and are thusly passing them to the motherboard's capacitors, and that older computers can be dusty and poorly ventilated, MCZs preform extraordinarily well whereas cheaper capacitors fail much quicker...

Just look at the old Xbox 360s... Rubycon MFZ.... There are 4 near the CPU, these never fail (Unless people "fix" their xbox by baking it in an oven - and even this can be done successfully, if the caps are insulated from the heat). The Nichicon HNs do well in there too.

the only true solid polys are chemi-con PS_ and Nichicon L_
                                        What about Sanyo OSCON? And also the SEP and SEPC series?

Comment

Working...
                                        X