original XBOX V1.6 no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

original XBOX V1.6 no power

Hey guys, I have an original XBOX, version 1.6, that's having trouble turning on. The story behind it is I pulled it out of storage this Friday, brought it home, hooked it up, and turned it on. It came on with no issues. I turned it off and went to grab Halo 2, but when I tried to turn it back on, it came on for 2 seconds, then turned off. Now that's all it will do, turn off after about 2 seconds. If you immediately try to turn it back on, it will cut back off almost instantly. if you wait about a minute, 2 seconds. Makes me think something is overheating, or some other time-related phenomenon is plaguing my XBOX. After doing some research, it seems to be BADCAPS. I checked the motherboard and the PSU, all caps appear normal. Before I go buying parts, has anyone had this issue before? I will provide pics and info if requested. Thanks.
    Just trying to make these stupid electrons behave!
    ...Not having too much success, they keep flying around those atom thingy-majiggers...

Re: original XBOX V1.6 no power

Aw, come on, 44 views and everyone is clueless? Is there something I'm missing?
    ...Not having too much success, they keep flying around those atom thingy-majiggers...

Comment

what are you expecting?

you didnt post photo's or anything.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, but I did some parts swapping and now I know it's the motherboard. Now to fix it. I'm going to upload some pics, maybe someone will see something I didn't see. Sorry if some of them are blurry.

Here is the system in its case, minus HDD and ODD.

Here is the motherboard by itself.

Here is a close-up of the board at the power connector.

Here is the front left corner of the board.

Here is the back left of the board.

Here is one of the large caps. doesn't appear damaged (to me).

Here is one of the other kind of large cap on the board. Is it a different kind of cap, or is it just a different package?

Here is a gold colored cap. Is it different, or just has a gold wrapper?

I will try to get a list up of all the through-hole caps on the board. I will also upload more pics if requested.

Comment

Alright, here is a list of the through-hole caps on my motherboard.

nichicon 3300uf 6.3v X5

hd x4 1500 6.3v X3 see note below

nichicon 22uf 25v X6

sme 22uf 25v X5

nichicon 100uf 25v X3

nichicon 1.0f 2.5v X1

total 23

Note: I'm not sure what these are, pic 7 is a shot of the top of one of these. Hopefully someone can explain the value of this cap to me.

Now, something weird I noticed is the board has 11 22uf 25V caps, some Nichicon, some SME. I know that this console has never been apart before, so it came factory like this? Also, am I reading the gold cap right, as 1 FARAD? Should I replace ALL of the caps, or a certain group of them? I noticed some of the smaller caps are leaning, were they soldered on like this, or are they deformed?

Comment

Does it try to power up 3 times ? I remember them doing that if someone had screwed up modding them. lpc looks clean though so looks 'standard'.

Out of interest what did you swap to prove its the MB ?

Comment

The 1.0F capacitor is a backup capacitor used by the real-time clock, and I have read about problems caused by this capacitor - some have installed larger units (during repairs) for extended backup time during power failures.
              So therefore, the Xbox is designed to be plugged in all of the time to keep this capacitor charged and the real-time clock running.
              My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

there are no foto's visible,
                you need to go into "advanced" and upload them as attachements.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
                  The 1.0F capacitor is a backup capacitor used by the real-time clock, and I have read about problems caused by this capacitor - some have installed larger units (during repairs) for extended backup time during power failures.
                  So therefore, the Xbox is designed to be plugged in all of the time to keep this capacitor charged and the real-time clock running.
                  the airogell cap is a bastard, if it leaks on a 1.6 then replace it with a 220uf low impedence cap.
                  if it's a 1.0 - 1.5 board just remove it straight away even if it's not leaking.
                  because it will.

1.6 boards wont start if there is no capacitance there - guess how i found out!
                  older boards run fine with nothing

Comment

RobbieC, this is an unmodded console. In fact. I was the first person to take it apart. How I proved it was the motherboard is by swapping some parts out with this one. I took another board and hooked it to my console's PSU, and it worked fine, ruling out the PSU.

The gold cap is from what I've read a RTC power cap, that's rated for 1 FARAD (kinda big, don't you think), but it's not leaking. I was poking around with a multimeter and found it holds a charge of 2V with the motherboard unplugged, so I don't think it's at fault here.

stj, what do you mean there are no photo's visible? They work fine on my end. they are direct links to photobucket.

Now, could anybody tell me what the cap in the 7th pic is? And what about esr and temp and all of these other ratings that aren't labeled on the caps. How would I find out EXACTLY what I need to order? Also, should I replace all 23 caps, or just a certain group? There are also a few surface mount caps, do those need replacement? Is there a way to tell if this board is too far gone, or is it fixable?

Comment

a lot of browsers wont work wih embeded links.
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2401

Comment

Sorry, I'll reupload them. In the meantime, try google chrome.

Here is the system in its case, minus HDD and ODD.

Here is the motherboard by itself.

Here is a close-up of the board at the power connector.

Here is the front left corner of the board.

Here is the back left of the board.

Here is one of the large caps. doesn't appear damaged (to me).

Here is one of the other kind of large cap on the board. Is it a different kind of cap, or is it just a different package?

Here is the clock cap. Seems fine to me.
                        Attached Files

Comment

did you fix it?

Comment

cyjun1990, I'm trying to.

Anyway, I've been fiddling around with both my board and the parts console's board, and I'm going to make a separate post for that board, since it seems to be fixable. As for my board, I cross-referenced the 3 unknown caps to the parts console's motherboard, which had Rubycon 1500uf 6.3V caps in those areas (the parts console's board has a mix of Rubycon, Nichicon, and SMG, whatever those are. ). So, my question is, is there a way to find out which ones are responsible, or should I bite the bullet, order all the caps, and replace ALL of them? What is Y'all's opinion? I'm no professional, i just know enough to be dangerous

Comment

I haven't looked at this board in a while, but I noticed a tiny resistor was missing. It's labeled R3F1, and I cross-referenced it to the other motherboard, where the resistor is labeled with the number "1003". There is some corrosion in this area, which makes me think this wasn't an optional part. The trace it's connected to appears to go toward the CPU. Maybe this is why it won't boot. Going to do more research, maybe raid some old electronic for a replacement

Comment

take a close look at the fine tracks running across the front of the board at the underside.
                                i'v seen a box once that wouldnt start because one of the tracks had been damaged by the plastic standoffs under the board.
                                they are related to the button&led pcb

Comment

Did you ever get your 1.6 Xbox running.

I've seen a problem with a surface mount transistor on the board going bad and the xbox would no longer boot.

V1.6 Xbox Transistor Repair - No Power on

Comment

Working...
                                  X