Cant get capacitor legs out!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cant get capacitor legs out!!!

If you go to this site it will explain all about temperature and what is need for a good solder joint which also will inform you of then, what is needed to desolder a good joint.

Comment

I have one of those Tenmas, set at 400, as stj says it takes a while to get the heat in to the part. There is a big performance increase when the tip is cleaned in brass then coated with fresh solder. Then i apply a little more solder when the tip is in contact with the leg.
      I still haven't got round to buying a decent iron, but with practice it's ok.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT5...PfA3_9wF3CgY1w

Comment

Finally got them out, ordered a new tips. Turned temp down to 320c, added lots of new solder I bought which has flux in it and got them out.

My own fault for pulling caps out.

Just did another identical board but this time added solder first, warmed up and pulled on capacitor slightly to pop one leg out, then the other and cleaned up the empty holes. This board took 30mins, in comparison to the other one which took days lol

Whilst obvious to you guys keeping the tips clean, with a nice shiny coating of solder helps a lot. At least learnt a few things, tinning, keeping tips clean oxidation free and leaving a coating of solder after use.

Comment

Originally posted by mikay786 View Post
            Finally got them out, ordered a new tips. Turned temp down to 320c, added lots of new solder I bought which has flux in it and got them out.

My own fault for pulling caps out.

Just did another identical board but this time added solder first, warmed up and pulled on capacitor slightly to pop one leg out, then the other and cleaned up the empty holes. This board took 30mins, in comparison to the other one which took days lol

Whilst obvious to you guys keeping the tips clean, with a nice shiny coating of solder helps a lot. At least learnt a few things, tinning, keeping tips clean oxidation free and leaving a coating of solder after use.
            Yes we live and learn.

Comment

whenever I had a cheap iron and the tips seemed to start acting like that, not wanting to tin, correctly and not melting solder joints, I would just use some sandpaper like 320 to sand the surface and then re-tin it and it would work great until it started acting cruddy again.
              Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

modern tips will be destroyed like that, they are iron-coated copper.
                if you sand the iron off, the flux in the solder will eat the copper away pretty fast!

Comment

One can use course steel or bass wool. It will not take off as much as 320 grit sand paper. Perhaps 600 grit crocus cloth would work.

Comment

brass wool does a good job.

Comment

Working...
                    X