Philips HTS 9800 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips HTS 9800 problem

Hi, i have a Philips HTS 9800 entertainment system for the past 3 years and it was working fine up until last week. I had it playing full blast for nearly a whole weekend and since then it only works fine on low volumes but if i try to bring the volume past half way it gets distorted and wont go any louder. The speakers are all fine, i have tested them on another system so I think its the amp. I opened it up earlier today to see if I could see any bulging/damaged capacitors inside but they all look to be ok. Has anyone ever come across this type of problem before? What should I be looking out for? There are two capacitors on the board that have a very slight bulge, by that I mean almost un-noticable. Before I go buying the capacitors and changing them out I just thought I'd check on the net to see if anyone has any suggestions. Any help would be much appreciated!

Re: Philips HTS 9800 problem

When it comes to caps and bulges slight is too much.
    That doesn't mean it's the only problem though.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Re: Philips HTS 9800 problem

How large are these caps?

The size will give me an idea of what they do.

Is this just a receiver (amp and tuner) or does it also have a DVD player inside?

Good pics of the insides will help me determine what you need and if it might be other things. In the pic, note the location of the bad caps.

Comment

Working...
      X