Gainward something-or-other with bad caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gainward something-or-other with bad caps

A relative showed up with this board this evening, so I didn't get a chance to take many pics of it... I snapped a couple quick before pics, but forgot to get one of the whole board, so I can't say what model it was. blah. no after pics; he was very, very anxious to get it back in his computer... it's a 233mhz AMD chip IIRC. don't recall which socket. Most notable features is the board is pretty small, and has both AT and ATX power sockets, to be used with either type of power supply.

Board had been partially recapped a couple years ago, when only two caps were buldging... this time every other cap except those two was replaced.

Caps present:
    2 replacements, 16v 1000uf. don't know what the board came with, as this was the first time I'd seen it.
    5 Tayeh caps, 6.3v 1000uf. Four vented, two out the bottom and two out the top, and one very close to venting.

Nope, no others. board only had a total of 7 caps, except for teeny tiny electrolytics 100uf and less.

Replaced the 5 caps with nichicon 1200uf 6.3v ones.

Board was HARD to solder. never had one that was this much work. Must have frigging thick traces. I gave up on my 45W pencil tip iron and got out my 140W gun (the one I've soldered 6awg wire with), and STILL couldn't melt through the vias in under 30 seconds. Vacuum desolder couldn't get them clean, had to use the 140W gun and a needle pushed through, and even then I couldn't keep the needle hot once it touched the traces.

Symptoms:
    IDE corruption, windows refusing to boot due to being unable to read files, occasional random reboot.

After recap:
    Windows boots and works perfectly.

Photos:
    By the CPU: (the blue one is one of the previous replacements)

The caps themselves: (taken from the above image, but cropped instead of shrunk)

Off on the corner of the board:

Between the agp and onboard IO:

I didn't get a pic of the 5th cap or the whole board, as he really wanted me to get to work fixing it...

Lesson learned: Some boards absorb heat remarkably quickly. I barely got this one with my 140 watt gun. I don't want to get out my 275 watt gun for a motherboard! Other boards I've done, my 45W iron was plenty, and my desoldering station was able to clean through the holes...

--Randy

great post and excellent photos (i was thinking damn they look as good as an olympus...but it is one.) it is interesting to know the boards can take so much heat.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Yep, it's an olympus... d-550 to be exact.

I've never had to use that much heat on leads that small... I've soldered major power components (transformers, etc) that needed a lot of heat, but never tiny pads.

My 45W gun couldn't melt through the vias... you could heat the back of the leads all you wanted, and the solder simply wouldn't melt through. And trying to clean out the holes afterwards... on the other boards, my desoldering station (think it's 60 watts) melts all the solder through the via then sucks it all out... but on this one, it was next to useless. Ended up having to use a needle, pushing it against the sealed-off hole with the 140W gun touching both the pad and the needle until it poked through, then heating from the opposite side while pushing further, then pulling it out leaving a clean hole (the second or third time).

Took 5 minutes to remove 10 caps from my fic ka-11. took 2 hours to remove 5 caps and clean the holes on this one. Ouch.

--Randy

Comment

when i find a stubborn board like that i assist with a heat gun.
        just watch out for those little spring loaded plastic clips on the chipset cooler.
        they can melt and shoot across the room.
        i take them off till i am done with the heat.

Comment

kc8adu : what is your new avatar it is very curious

Comment

its a pile of tubes.

Comment

ok but what is the device. lets see a big pic.

Comment

its a jackson 648s tube tester.

Comment

Working...
                X