X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looked at new thermostats, nah I'll DIY this

Originally posted by evilkitty View Post
    when i said what format i mean like a array or sqlite
    [{"on":1,"t":20556,"on2":0,"n":1513434346},{"on":1,"t":19832,"on2":1,"n":1513434436}]
    on2 would be the aux heating, only set if unit in heat mode, so it doubles as a mode check
    maybe i should use both and only dump it to the db every 100 entries or something
    maybe i should store the log data on my other rpi
    As I said, it depends on the resources that you have available to throw at that aspect of the problem.

If you have a live connection to <something else>, then you can bundle up all of the data that you think may be of interest and spit it out -- and forget it, thereafter.

You can use a database as a "whiteboard" through which you share information among clients. So, you can regularly feed it tuples with "current conditions" (instead of just those times when you actually "take action"). This would allow something else to extract information of interest -- like just how hot the house gets on a winter day in the absence of active heating.

That "other thing" doesn't need to be able to query the thermostat directly (and the thermostat doesn't need to be able to respond to such queries). Instead, just look at the data in the database and extract the information of interest.

The thermostat can also "fetch" its operating parameters from a particular schema. In that way, it need not have a (complex) user interface; let something else (PC?) generate the operating parameters (e.g., pretty user graphics) and stuff them in that schema in an agreed-upon format.

Comment

Originally posted by evilkitty View Post

the heating system at work is like you described, run 30 seconds off 30 second; rinse, wash, and repeat
      Sounds just like a POS well pump that keeps losing pressure. A house in the boonies that I was in from September 1, 2004 to March 5, 2008, used to be connected to the old well, which had a pump like that, but a brand new well was installed in the first quarter of 2008, or the forth quarter of 2007. Good riddance!
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-28-2017, 12:49 AM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I watch TV and the heat from it (240W & CCFL) causes the thermostat to think the house is warmer. The two are 10 feet apart
        Watch a movie and freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
          I watch TV and the heat from it (240W & CCFL) causes the thermostat to think the house is warmer. The two are 10 feet apart
          Watch a movie and freeze.
          Here are a few solutions/workarounds
          • Move thermostat
          • Move TV
          • Get LED TV
          • move temp sensor
          • sit closer to TV

10ft seems like it would be enough space...

Comment

I made the last couple years worth of adjustments public today
            https://github.com/GM-Script-Writer-..._Pi_Thermostat
            images and hardware info here:
            https://github.com/GM-Script-Writer-...ter/html/notes

Comment

Working...
            X