Samsung UN55B6000 Relay Clicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN55B6000 Relay Clicking

I have a Samsung UN55B6000 that has a constant relay clicking on and off. I have looked through some other threads on here about it but I have not come to a resolution yet. If I unplug the connector to the main board from the power supply, I do get power supply to come alive with the correct voltages and the backlights do turn on. I have looked through the samsung fast track manual and all of the main SoC regulators seem to be outputting the correct voltages on the main board. I still don't get a valid PS_ON signal coming back. So I assume that something on the main board is shot. I have replaced with EEPROM chip also with no luck. I have tried to get it to power on with and without the TCON plugged in with no change. Is there anything else that can easily be checked on the main board? Used mainboards for this TV are fairly expensive so I would rather try to find the piece part that is at fault as long as it is not the SoC's themselves.

Re: Samsung UN55B6000 Relay Clicking

Can we get some good pictures
    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Originally posted by dskall View Post
      Can we get some good pictures
      I can get some tomorrow, but in the mean time the shopjimmy ones are probably better than what I can take anyway. The mainboard is BN94-02657X and the power supply is BN44-00271A for reference. As of now I think the power supply is OK though as everything seems to turn on when it the power supply and main board are disconnected.

Comment

You can try unplugging wifi, button connectors and see if that helps

Comment

You can try unplugging wifi, button connectors and see if that helps
          I tried that, but with the same result. There is no wifi on this model though as far as I can tell with a separate module. I'm pretty sure this TV broke as a result of lightning or another surge type event. I have nothing plugged in to any of the inputs when I am trying to power it up, only the power cord.

Comment

Further investigate shows that IC1102 (RTL8100CSL) gets scorching hot on the main board. I have seen this be a problem on some motherboards before, but not on a TV. It is a very fine pitch IC that appears to be the wired ethernet controller. I will be able to remove it with a hot air gun, but my question is will the board still boot without the ethernet controller? I would run the TV without it if I could, but it doesn't do much for me if I can't even boot without it.

Comment

Appears to have 3.3v and 2.5v feeding it. Are both voltages correct

Comment

Appears to have 3.3v and 2.5v feeding it. Are both voltages correct
                I tried that. Looking at the datasheet for the power pins, there is no way to measure on pin. The pin pitch of that part is .01" There is no way I have a probe that fine to directly measure. All of the traces I saw from those power pins were also roughly spaced at that. On more than a few of them ground was the adjacent pin, so using a fat probe there would just end up shorting it out anyway. I was hoping to find some series component (bead, inductor, etc) that fed both the 3.3V and 2.5V rails of the part, but have been unsuccessful so far.

Comment

You can check the various voltages on the round coils and regulator

Comment

So I found out what the issue was. IC210 (3.3V regulator) pin 1 output was being shorted to ground. The fact IC1102 got so hot just seems to be a byproduct of this. The component that was actually IC1401 (SIL9287BCNU) which is the HDMI switch. I removed BD1401 (ferrite bead that feeds the voltage line) and my short disappeared at IC210. 3 of the 4 power pins on IC1401 were still shorted to ground so that would appear to be my problem component.

The TV now turns on and appears to be functional but without HDMI. I'll work on getting the IC replaced but it will be difficult as it is a large pin count QFN with a ground center slug.

If anyone else is looking for how to troubleshoot this, I just looked for all the ferrite beads (BD prefix on silkscreen) that feed most of the IC's and checked both sides of it. If I found something where both sides were shorted to ground, it most likely was hooked to the regulator/power rail in question. I removed the bead and then checked each side of the pads. If the regulator side was still shorted and the component side was not, then that particular component was good. I repeated the exercise until I found the bead where the regulator side was no longer shorted but the component side was shorted.

I will report back when I find a supply of the SIL9287BNCU's and try to replace it.

Comment

Nice job. Looks like you are on right track. Saw some possibilities on ebay

Comment

Nice job. Looks like you are on right track. Saw some possibilities on ebay
                        I got one from a US supplier and a 5pc from china. One will show up soon and the 5 in a few weeks I suppose. I'll try my hand at QFN soldering soon.

Comment

I put in the new HDMI chip. Unfortunately the supplier gave me a SIL9287A, not SIL9287B. I don't know if that's an issue or not, but the TV still doesn't work. There is still no longer a dead short on the 3.3V, but the HDMI's still don't work. The TV does turn on though. The new HDMI chip does get pretty hot when it is on. Now one of the Atmel EEPROM's right below it (IC1201) gets SUPER hot. I was reading 4.6V on the Vcc pin and I'm pretty sure that's not right. Now I have to try to trace that somewhere which is not easy because it gets buried somewhere in the multilayer board. Any other pieces of advice here? I also found some of the TVS diodes on HDMI1 are shorted, but I need to go reinspect that it wasn't my soldering job that did that.

Comment

I replaced IC1201 with a new EEPROM 24C02. I also replaced the two TVS arrays on the HDMI1 port. Those TVS arrays are tiny and painful to solder Everything works well now.

Comment

Nice work. Thanks for update

Comment

I have the exact same model and was killed by a power surge. I replaced the capacitors in the power board but the TV is stuck on Standby(?). The LED light just keeps on blinking and the relay clicks every 10sec or so.

I read that you need to reset the EEPROM since they can get corrupted after power failure, but there are 3 possible ICs and I don't want to risk any more damage by trying each one.

Which one is the EEPROM?

IC1201 (below the HDMI Switch)
                                IC901 (above SoC and beside RAM)
                                IC1603 (on the back side, has Test Points)

Thanks!

Comment

IC1201 is the EEPROM for the DVI or VGA. I had that out of the board for awhile and the TV would still turn on. I did need to replace it because it was shorted, but the TV would still mostly function without it. I believe IC901 (not sure on the reference designator, but the location is correct) is the main EEPROM. If you look at the markings on it, it should be the 256kbit one. I didn't do anything with any EEPROM's on the backside. I did replace IC1201 and the main one though.

Your symptoms are a little bit different than mine though as your LED light actually turns on. You may or may not have the same issues I did. You probably want to start a new thread about it though.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I kept on trying the EEPROM reset procedure (short pins 5 & 6) but it still won't start. I tried measuring the voltage regulators and it looks like IC210 output is being pulled to GND. I traced it and it looks like the Tweeter Amplifier IC (STA339BWS) is shorted as it gets dangerously hot. I don't have tools to remove this IC, so I had to order a replacement mainboard.

The replacement mainboard however was still not working and upon closer inspection, there are 32 Capacitors, 6 Resistors and 1 Diode that broke off. Transferring those SMD Components from my old board (UN55B6000) to the replacement board (UN55B8000) took hours. But in the end, my TV is working as it should. It even has new features since I upgraded the board from a 6000 to 8000.
                                    Last edited by cevar_blackwing; 09-01-2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but would anyone have a part number for IC901 atmlh932 EEPROM? I have the clicking relay problem and would love to get it working again, bit am having problems getting a hold of one. I have a few leftover 24co2 EEPROMs to swap IC1201 and IC1603 if needed. They wouldn't happen to be interchangeable would they? I can't even get a datasheet for atmlh932... Thanks in advance!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo777 View Post
                                        I know this is an old thread, but would anyone have a part number for IC901 atmlh932 EEPROM? I have the clicking relay problem and would love to get it working again, bit am having problems getting a hold of one. I have a few leftover 24co2 EEPROMs to swap IC1201 and IC1603 if needed. They wouldn't happen to be interchangeable would they? I can't even get a datasheet for atmlh932... Thanks in advance!!
                                        I had the same problem as you. I replaced all the Capacitors on the Power Supply Board, but this didn't solve the clicking problem.

I tried shorting the pins 5 & 6 on the EEPROMs during startup, same thing as above.

I got another board which is for a UN55B8000. This board still clicked the relay but at least the Power LED is blinking. Upon closer inspection, the board had 40 of its SMD Resistors/Capacitors cracked/removed. So I de-soldered these components from my old UA46B6000 board and re-soldered them to the UN55B8000 board. Took me 6 hours to finish all 40 smd components, but was rewarded with a working TV. Now my TV, has LAN/Network capability, SPDIF Out, additional USB Port and can play x264 video files because of the board upgrade (6000->8000).

Please use this image to determine your part number:
                                        http://www.51hei.com/UploadFiles/201...qin/adee43.jpg

Additionally, 2EB = AT24C256

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                                        X