Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: esr or cap tester

sofTest:

If we keep this going, You and I may be able to catch up to Willawake in number of posts, but maybe not. [Notice the nice little touch of capitalizing the word "You", thus giving importance and showing respect for my Norwegian brother-in-capacitance ].

Huck

Comment

Huckfinn;

As said before, I don't have anything against the Blue, and both units have features (and price) that might sway potential customers either way. I don't know how you define the term "far superior", but to me that means something of completely different quantifiable class, grade of quality or features. As both units are based on the Bob Parker design, I would say they are more like siblings; their DNA are almost identical, but they look a bit different, and they (usually) have slightly different strength and weaknesses. So maybe the whole discussion is a cultural semantic thing?

Originally posted by Huckfinn
      The funny thing is that neither you or I really know what the snot we are actually comparing in a TV vs ESR meter comparison for illustrative purposes, and that is because Americans do not have B & O TV sets here [for the most part], and you do not own a Blue Anatek unit.
      Hehe, and you don't own a EVB, do you?

Originally posted by Huckfinn
      I now feel that due to my limited capabilities in the area of verse and prose, I have somewhat failed at least one of my European brothers-in-capacitance.
      Irony aside, you shouldn't feel bad about it. I did a thorough research, including "build from scratch" designs I found on the 'net, and read both Willawake's and AnaTek's reviews carefully before I ordered the EVB. Something you might find funny, was that what really swayed me to the EVB, was that AnaTek couldn't come up with any (for me) significant short comings of the EVB compared with the Blue, combined with the saving mentioned before.

I respect your opinions of the units, and I think they are fully valid as far as opinions go, but I think you understand that I can't relate to the term "far superior" as sum of your opinions, as it takes something a bit more substantial to qualify for that term in my book.
      ------------
      Be a mensch

Comment

sofTest:

You are correct when You guessed that I do not own the EVB version of the Bob Parker tester. I also do not own the classic Dick Smith version. I do have the manual for all three.

Here is hoping that Celica can obtain any one of the three versions, new or used. I am confident any one of the three would serve him well.

Like You, sofTest, and also Celica, I myself found many interesting simple, and some complex ESR meter schematics on the Web. All of the ones I built a prototype of worked and were a little useful, but the performance in many respects was rather poor for all of them. I did not build the rather elaborate one that uses an LCD readout and gives the instruction set for the micro on the web site. The Bob Parker units of course all work very well.

Huck

Comment

I am in need of an ESR tester.
          I am considering either the Blue ESR kit or the Atlas ESR60.
          Despite the price difference, I am interested in the Atlas ESR60 because it tests capacitance as well as ESR. AnaTek says the max ESR Ohms range is 20, while the Blue is 99. If my primary use is testing electrolytic from 4v to 200v and 22uf to 4000uf, when would I need the meter to measure above 20 Ohms? Most electrolytic caps (on computer circuit boards) are considered bad within single digits anyway, right?

Thoughts, suggestions, and dopeslaps appreciated.
          Thanks.

Comment

You don't need capacitance measurements if you want that get a Fluke DMM or any other decent brand DMM which will do that already.

I have read that the Atlas is cumbersome with measurements (alligator clips that are not always going to stay on) you may need an optional (third hand) attachment with a switch on it to check ESR when both of your hands are holding the clips on that part.

You have the press the test button after connecting the meter to the cap to make a measurement. Sometimes the alligator clips won't stay on and you need your two hands to keep them there. How are you going to press the test button?

The Bob Parker meter measures instantly power it up zero the probes and it's ready to go. Touch the probes to the part and there is your ESR measurement no extra appendages needed.

I didn't research the Atlas much when I was in the market I decided on the Blue from Anatek.

I wanted a meter for a long time and at that time the Dick Smith stock had all but dried up. When the Blue came out I practically jumped on it same with the ring transformer tester almost a year later.
            Last edited by Krankshaft; 08-08-2009, 02:27 PM.
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

The alligator clips will be even more troublesome if you are measuring SMT caps and in most of todays ever shrinking PCBs they probably won't hold well to most through hole caps either.

Well that's my 2 cents.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

>All of the ones I built a prototype of worked and were a little useful, but the performance in many respects was rather poor for all of them.

in what way(s)?

btw. are you sure you're not anatek sales representative?
                <wink>

one interesting thing i saw while reading willa's tests on capacitorlab is that he had problems with both: with evb he had case issues and test button problems(mechanical issues)
                with blue they sent him wrong chip and indeed that voltage required to calibrate low batt is weird; i mean you have cpu there and you need to assemble voltage regulator to calibrate it?
                (also, it seems anatek guys can misplace other components too
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=12
                resistors in plainbill's case)

as for atlas, i feel it's greatly overpriced...my friend has one, but i knew he's not into building kits or his own projects, so no wonder he bought that one.
                but for all those who like soldering i would suggest some other kit...
                or just building a diy analog one with greatly stretched 0-1ohm scale (ie whole scale to cover just one ohm, or be switchable for few ranges etc.)
                afaik, analog meters look better than anatek or evb which just look like cheap toys with all that plastic....

http://www.mzentertainment.com/pics/...n_the_shop.jpg

yum!

Comment

After having used the Anatek (Bob Parker Blue) ESR meter, I've come to a number of conclusions, (none of which may be particularly meaningful to others.) Caveat: I am a retired chemical / electronic / computer technician. Yes, three careers (four if you count Grandpa). Cost is more important than precision, a consequence of a fixed income.

I like the Blue's ease of operation - push the button once to turn it on, short the leads and push the button again to set Zero. Push it again to turn it off, or just wait a while and it turns itself off.

I wish the Blue had an additional range at the low end. I understand the technical problems, but one can wish.

I'm not particularly impressed by the case, but for my purposes, it works. If I were carrying it around in a tool kit, I'd want a protective sleeve (something else to misplace). I don't need something built of titanium that looks like Spock (or Scotty) had designed it

The most frustrating aspect is the additional features that could be useful. Yes, they will increase the cost. I've mentioned an additional range. Above all, I wish it could also measure capacitance from 10,000 uF down to 2 pF, a 2 digit resolution would be great.

In my honest moments I admit I would have been better served if I had invested the money in 20 piece lots of the 10 most common capacitor values we encounter. Replace 'em all and let Faraday sort them out! After all, this IS the Badcaps Forum.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                    In my honest moments I admit I would have been better served if I had invested the money in 20 piece lots of the 10 most common capacitor values we encounter. Replace 'em all and let Faraday sort them out! After all, this IS the Badcaps Forum.

PlainBill
                    I don't think you can cut down to 10 most used capacitances. There is also the different voltage and size groups.

Lately, I find myself ordering from Digikey so frequently

Comment

PlainBill
                      Used to that myself, before I got my EVB. Then I get to cases like last weekend with a 22uf 6.3v SMD-capacitor measured to 20.7uF. Hadn't I measured the ESR to 95 ohms, I would have left it in, as I normally don't stock that value...
                      ------------
                      Be a mensch

Comment

90% of the time I have the caps I need on hand (in low ESR Pana FC series and GP Chemicon KMG series) I think I posted some pics of my drawer system.

If you work on enough different PSUs you eventually will have a healthy stock of the most often used caps.

Comment

I have seen the ESR-micro v3.1 and it looks very nice. I'd consider the Micro if a domestic (US) source for it becomes available. It looks like it comes with short leads and clips instead of probes too. (like the Atlas)

Now I'm leaning toward the Blue kit. Measuring capacitance would be very nice but not the primary need. Some local pawn shops have some Fluke meters. I should check models and prices for cap test functions.

Still....
                          Thoughts, suggestions, and dopeslaps appreciated.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by golemmaster
                            I have seen the ESR-micro v3.1 and it looks very nice. I'd consider the Micro if a domestic (US) source for it becomes available. It looks like it comes with short leads and clips instead of probes too. (like the Atlas).
                            Hi,
                            The v3.1 meter has clips with very sharp little probes attached. Very clever, those Russians. You can see them fairly well in the attached photo.
                            Also that meter doesn't switch itself off very quickly or need to be switched on for each new measurement, unlike the Atlas one.
                            I hope this info is helpful.

Bob
                            Attached Files
                            It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Parker
                              Hi,
                              The v3.1 meter has clips with very sharp little probes attached. Very clever, those Russians. You can see them fairly well in the attached photo.
                              Also that meter doesn't switch itself off very quickly or need to be switched on for each new measurement, unlike the Atlas one.

Bob
                              That's the best pic I've seen of the Micro. I looked at their website.
                              Very nice indeed! I'd love to get one.
                              I worry about the translations and payments and conversions....

Google Translate does a much better job than Yahoo Babel...esp on the order page.
                              Last edited by golemmaster; 08-10-2009, 02:41 AM.

Comment

mhm...
                                http://preher-tech.com/esrmicro.aspx
                                actually that's mighty interesting...not too expensive....actually under the value we pay customs for....(everything over 60$ we pay customs...i shoudl tell him to write the lower-than-real price on receip..hehe)

they also have flyback tester
                                http://www.radiodevices.info/fbtest/fbtest.htm
                                (use google translate)
                                seems to cost half the cost of esr micro...

i'll probably be contacting mike soon....price is good and it will take less time to ship than to get anything from usa...

thanks goes to golem for mentioning it...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Parker
                                  Hi,

Bob
                                  If I am interpreting the symbols properly, once it is turned on a short push on the button switches mode, while a long push turns it off. Yes, the translation (sort of) confirms this. It turns itself off after 40 seconds of non-use.

Of course, I would have to put it into a larger case so it wouldn't get lost.

PlainBill
                                  Last edited by PlainBill; 08-10-2009, 11:34 AM.
                                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
                                    thanks goes to golem for mentioning it...
                                    Yay! I finally contributed something useful!

Comment

If I am interpreting the symbols properly, once it is turned on a short push on the button switches mode, while a long push turns it off. Yes, the translation (sort of) confirms this. It turns itself off after 40 seconds of non-use.

Of course, I would have to put it into a larger case so it wouldn't get lost.

PlainBill
                                      Yes, that's the way you operate it. You're correct that it's a very small gadget because it uses surface-mount components and is powered by lithium cells.

Comment

Originally posted by golemmaster
                                        That's the best pic I've seen of the Micro. I looked at their website.
                                        Very nice indeed! I'd love to get one.
                                        I worry about the translations and payments and conversions....

Google Translate does a much better job than Yahoo Babel...esp on the order page.
                                        I agree that it's much too difficult to buy one of the Russian meters if you're in the USA. Hopefully that will change in the future. If anyone knows someone in business who'd be interested in distributing them there, please let me know and I'll get the info to the right person.

Bob

Comment

Just for everyone's info - this photo shows the Russian meter displaying capacitance.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X