Onkyo TX-NR616 won't stay powered on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Onkyo TX-NR616 won't stay powered on

What I have noticed that if I check the firmware version, in that series of numbers, two of them are question marks. I'm thinking communication error.
    I have found on another forum something about DSP communication errors can cause question marks in firmware versions among other issues.
    I have noticed that two days ago, I could do the firmware update through the front USB port and yesterday the USB stick wasn't recognized by the port. It worked only through the rear port, unsuccessfully of course.
    It's a different receiver, but the solution may be the same:
    http://www.avsforum.com/t/1431671/po...-unit-to-onkyo

Comment

From the small experience I have, a high proportion of faults would be a faulty crystal, always 25Mhz. And also corrosion of upward facing PCB tracks.

Comment

How would I know if the quartz is the problem?
        Which tracks are you referring too?
        I'm wondering about the Ebay tech, what could he repair on these boards?
        It seems, like he repairs any model of these HDMI boards.

Comment

Which firmware(s) haven't you got? USB & network issues are always HDMI PCB. The DSP chip goes faulty and needs to be replaced. Reflowing may help temporarily. A faulty DSP chip will show up as "??????????" on the firmware list.

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
            How would I know if the quartz is the problem?
            Which tracks are you referring too?
            I'm wondering about the Ebay tech, what could he repair on these boards?
            It seems, like he repairs any model of these HDMI boards.
            Only with an oscilloscope. Its also useful to measure the DC voltage at each end.
            Corroded tracks look dark but need to be open circuit to cause a problem.
            I used to see this problem on some Yamaha models that had the System PCB mounted with the copper side up
            and placed just under the top vent slots.
            Last edited by rievax_60; 11-05-2013, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I don't remember the exact firmware right now(1130908??00), but definetly it has two question marks in it.
              I haven't tried the network yet. I haven't even tried the second HDMI output.
              Tomorrow I will try that output.
              I'm thinking that I should re-flow the DSP chip.
              Here is another forum with a similar receiver, where they mention that by re-flowing the DSP chip should fix the HDMI problem. The chip is below the Ethernet port(the one with the sticker on it).
              http://www.bgamods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1713

Comment

I have decided to send the board to the Ebay tech. He is charging me $85 for the repair.
                It seems that there is a service bulletin on how to repair these board. He may add a small daughter board to it and it may even replace the DSP chip. These are assumptions from reading from the net.
                I will take some pictures, before and after the repair and I will compare them, to see what is the difference. It should take from 5-7 days the repair. He has 100% feedback on Ebay with over 300 repairs done already.

Comment

I have received the HDMI board today.
                  At first glance, I can notice a mini daughter board installed on top of a processor and two wires soldered to the board.
                  I took some pictures, I will upload them tomorrow and I will compare them with the previous photos, that I have took before I sent it out.
                  The receiver works as it should, awesome service from the Ebay repairman. He is not to far from me, in Garden Grove CA. I have received the board very fast too.
                  Thank you again for helping me.
                  Now, I need to get back to the Pioneer receiver.

Comment

Here is the picture.
                    Attached Files

Comment

burnt chips?

Comment

that small board is an ajustable output voltage regulator from dealextreme.

Comment

Um. I'm looking for more info on this, i have a failed tx-nr808. stj, do you have access to the service bulletin from onkyo ? I'd like to buy that small board, and have the proper instructions on how to install it...

I wonder, if that board with a proper reball would do the job.

Comment

just a note:
                            It may not apply here but some of these Onkyo Receivers can be repaired no charge under Onkyo's Special Service Program http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/ Check your model/serial to see if it qualifies.

08/19/2014 Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program
                            Last edited by R_J; 11-19-2014, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Hmm.. just applied for this for a TX-NR609. I am NOT the original purchaser and don't have a receipt but it hasn't been asked for yet lol. The thing is junk so may as well see if they'll cover it.

Comment

Prepaid postage box on the way

Comment

Update us with the results.
                                  I'm wondering what is exactly this issue?
                                  I know that when devices are connected to the receiver, they won't get out audio or video at the HDMI output.
                                  This is an another issue?

Comment

i suspect there is a regulator circuit on the board that cant handle the current.
                                    i say this because that fix-foto shows an added switching regulator board added.

maybe start on a faulty one by checking the voltages on the chips starting wih the hdmi chip - as we know they can use a lot.

Comment

My understanding is that the TI dsp actually fails, possibly heat related and that it has been superceded by a newer design which may or may not still need the daughterboard. If they are kind enough to return mine I will update.

Comment

I'm wondering, if the Ebay repairman replaced that dsp, or just added that daughterboard board.

Comment

you should be able to tell from the soldering.

Comment

Working...
                                          X