Need guidance scoping YSUS board.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need guidance scoping YSUS board.

I've started another thread about the TV already. I would normally wait for someone that has already been commenting to chime in but I have circumstances that lead me to start a second thread. I have to take the scope back tomorrow morning and I'm not sure how to use it to scope my board.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24596

I'm hoping that one of you that has been through this before could guide me through it. I'd rather take the thing back unused than blow one of the channels. Here's my last post from the other thread.

Originally posted by johnboy1313 View Post
    I found a point on the y buffer that says waveform. The problem is that I have next to no idea what I'm supposed to do. I know it makes me sound really ignorant. I do have experience with a scope. I took two years of part time EET classes at the local junior college but that was at least three years ago. What am I setting the scope to? Other than the waveform point, where do I touch for the other point? CH 1 to waveform, EXT TRIG to to ground? Seriously, I can do this, but not without some guidance.

I really don't like starting a new thread but time is not on my side. Today's my birthday and the day is pretty full. It would be really cool if I could get the waveform before I go to bed tonight. Once I have that, I can go back to my original thread.

Re: Need guidance scoping YSUS board.

Assuming your input can accept up to 400 volts, put your probe on 10x and volts/div to 100 volts. Ground goes to any nearby screw or other point attached to the chassis. You might want to pull or unscrew your probe clip and just insert the tip into the hole marked waveform on the board. Triggering will be hard. You may get a fairly stable waveform setting trigger to AC line ( 60 Hz in US) or you may be able to trigger in on the peak of the Vset voltage if you have a waveform. I wouldn't worry about external triggering, you're just looking for a waveform. Take a picture and post.

Comment

I was only able to get up to 50v/div but still got a couple of good pics.

Last edited by johnboy1313; 12-09-2012, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Is that it? Can you post a larger timebase image? That does not look right.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Not a problem give me a second.

Comment

Well, I'm not real clear on what you want. I think you mean you want to see a shot from a longer time period.

I'm really not sure what's going on here, but this is in RUN mode.

Here's zoomed in a little more in STOP mode

Here's zoomed in really close in STOP

Comment

Try setting the time to 2 milliseconds.

Comment

Looks fine..
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                  Looks fine..
                  So I guess I'm looking at a bad panel then. It would figure the first plasma I try out seems to be working fine.

Comment

No, check X-main first... Post pic if you need help locating test point. Unlikely to be a bad panel.

Comment

Will do. Tom, you are such a help man. You have no idea how much I appreciate it, mate. I'll give it a look.

Comment

Is the X drive the same as the X main? If so, this is what is in my set. Mine is buried and I don't want to expose it until I need to.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-6871qrh082a-xrrbt.htm

Comment

Nope, different. On yours it is Z-sustain.

Comment

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-6871qzh067a-zsus-board.htm

Here's a link to my Z-SUS, is it the point labeled Vzbias?

Comment

You want to check it at that orange beaded device next to the white barcode label.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                  You want to check it at that orange beaded device next to the white barcode label.
                                  From Z-SUS

Comment

Any thoughts?

Comment

They look absolutely perfect. Do you have any light emission from the screen at all?

Comment

No, I've never turned it on in a completely dark room, but I don't think it does. I wonder if this thing has a hidden crack in the panel somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                        X