• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte ITX motherboard GA-H55N-USB3 crash

Hello everyone
    I have a HTPC built from Gigabyte motherboard GA-H55N-USB3
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3455#ov

I have a i5-650 at standard clocking 3.06GHz

The problem is after a while (like 20-40 minutes), occasionally, the HTPC will just turn itself off and NUM LOCK and SCROLL LOCK on keyboard blinking.

It's a new 300W powersupply fitted (BeQuiet) SFX
    RAM modules has passed memory test
    I'm using CPU HD-graphics (no external GFX board)
    3pcs of SSD disks.

I have pushed it hard by Intel Burn application, and it never fails.

CPU temp is low, even when the crash happens (directly start up and monitor CPU temp with Realtemp) under 45 degrees both cores.

Could this be a CAP issue?
    Anyone know what the blinking num lock/scroll lock combination means?

In windows 7 event viewer I find a critical kernal error since windows were shut down in an abnormal way. Nothing else can be seen there.

Appreciate any advice!

Re: Gigabyte ITX motherboard GA-H55N-USB3 crash

The blinking may indicate sleep mode or hybernation mode, the pc basically writes the contents of the RAM to hard disk and tells the motherboard to suspend the cpu and all the other devices in the computer (hdd, writers etc). Usually, when you press a key on the keyboard or hit the power button once, the operating system should resume from where it stopped before.

Check operating system options, disable hybernation from Windows and from BIOS.
    Sometimes, this happens when something overheats in your system, cpu or maybe motherboard chipset - use something like Aida64 to measure temperature.
    Very rarely, this could happen by accident when you press a combination of letters on the keyboard.

Comment

Thank you for advice.
      In all cases this happened, the PC shut down "abnormally" detected by Windows.
      If it was in a controlled way, windows should have shut down normally and don't set a critical error in eventviewer.
      I have not been able to get it on again by pressing a key or mousebutton. (just the powerbutton makes it go on again)
      I will check the AIDA64 application.

Also, every time it happened, the PC was just on, not doing anything with very low cpu usage.
      Last edited by PowerAmpFreak; 05-27-2015, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Sounds more like a power issue to me. Can you try a different PSU ?

Comment

I already have a new PSU in.

The motherboard has high quality polymer caps. Don't know if these are likely to fail..
          Last edited by PowerAmpFreak; 05-27-2015, 03:55 AM.

Comment

It maybe new but have you tried another ?

I've seen plenty of new stuff fail out of the wrapper over the years.
            Last edited by diif; 05-27-2015, 05:47 AM.

Comment

I will try an older PSU.
              The problem is that the shutdown does not occour often. I need to find a way to push the system in order to make it happen (so I can solve it correctly)
              Until I find this way, I need to operate the PC with the same HW and settings.
              But as you say, even if it's new it does not mean it's fully working.

Comment

If you want to push the CPU use heavy load https://www.jam-software.de/customer...02&language=DE

It might not be CPU related if its the PSU. Perhaps try warming inside the PSU with a hair dryer.

What did you use to test the memory ?
                Last edited by diif; 05-27-2015, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                  What did you use to test the memory ?
                  I use Windows own memory tester in Windows 7.
                  There are two slots and they use different manufacturers of RAM.
                  One slot is a Kingston 4GB, and other slot A-Data 2GB, both 1333MHz.

Is there a better tester for RAM available?

Comment

Originally posted by PowerAmpFreak View Post
                    Is there a better tester for RAM available?
                    I don't know if it is any "better", but most livecd linux distros have memtest+ which is what I use. It looks like you can get memtest+ without a linux distro at

http://www.memtest.org/
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks retiredcaps for that advice.

On my list of further investigations I have now:

1. Run memtest
                      2. Try to provoce the PSU with hot air gun.

The failure is so hard to push, I have not seen any clue of what could be causing it, more than some false detection of an overtemp or other abnormal condition that makes the mainboard fully shutdown CPU, USB ports and so on, and halt on blinking NUM LOCK and SCROLL LOCK continously.

All the times it have happened, the PC has been left on without doing anything. Low CPU, Low temps. When I look back, the screen was just black and keyboard leds blinking.
                      It was not possible to get it on by tapping a key or touching the mouse.
                      I had to push the powerbutton to make it run again.

I have run numerous load tests in overclock mode, making CPU reach over 80 degrees Celsius, and it Always pass, so it does not seem load dependent.

Also, updated BIOS from version F1 to latest version F5 with no difference.
                      Last edited by PowerAmpFreak; 05-28-2015, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Your tests suggest it isn't load or heat related.
                        I'd leave memtest running for a few goes to see if iit finds anything.
                        What is your main SSD ? and what does the error message say in the event viewer ?

Comment

I have two of these SSD's:
                          Kingston 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA3 2,5"

The error that shows in Event Viewer is a "Critical" and because Windows was shutdown in an appropriate way (like Power failure).
                          Next time windows is started, it goes through the screen "Windows were not shut down properly..."

Comment

Have you checked out your SSD ? http://www.kingston.com/en/support/t...d-toolbox.aspx

There is usually a bit more in the even log than just "critical".

Comment

The event Viewer log it as:

Kernal critical Power error ID 41, only tells system was restarted after not been shut down correctly

Is there a chance a SSD could cause this?
                              I will test the Kingston app.

Comment

I've seen strange things happen when reading a hard drive with bad sectors. Although SSDs should detect and move bad sectors it is possible.
                                One way to be sure would be to disconnect the SSDs and boot the PC from a Linux Live CD like Puppy.

http://puppylinux.org
                                Last edited by diif; 05-28-2015, 04:50 AM.

Comment

if you have a spare drive, install SuSE linux or something on it and then see if you get the same problems.

Comment

I appreciate all advice. Thank you.

One question:
                                    Is it possible to read any DMP files and see if there are more things logged during those crashes?

Comment

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315263

Comment

Great. I will search for clues.

Comment

Working...
                                        X