Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ACER AL2423W - no display

Originally posted by smason View Post
    Might help to know what part of the planet you're on.

Also, a search will find it's been covered a few times.
    USA, Michigan

I tried a search with no luck, not sure what to search for. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by steveiott06 View Post
      USA, Michigan

I tried a search with no luck, not sure what to search for. Thanks.
      Let's see, where would I look for the answer to a question that has been asked many times? Maybe in the FAQ!!!

Note the links in my signature.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

CS10,11,12,14,15 all are bulged at the top. I have found a replacement on the Mouser website, but there are too many for me to know exactly what I need, can you help. here is that I found so far.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...cT1Z0S7DcKY%3d

I also have some dis-colorization around the BS3, do you think this should be replaced as well? I found this for a replacement, but says it could take 15 weeks to get in stock.

Comment

Hello,

I simply can't understand what replacement capacitors I need. Could someone help?

I am using the www.mouser.com website and I need these sizes;

100uf 16v
          1000uf 25v
          680uf 16v

Thank you for your help!

Comment

Hello,

I simply can't understand what replacement capacitors I need. Could someone help?

I am using the www.mouser.com website and I need these sizes;

100uf 16v
            1000uf 25v
            680uf 16v

Thank you for your help!
            You are omitting two important values - diameter and height. It is embarrassing if a replacement cap won't fit into the available space.

100uf 16v EEU-FC1C101 6.3mm x 11.2 mm

1000uf 25v EEU-FM1E102 12.5mm x 20 mm OR EEU-FC1E102 is available in 3 D / H combinations

680uf 16v EEU-FM1C681 10 mm x 16 mm

I choose these parts from Digikey. Compared to Mouser, Digikey often has higher prices for components, but offers First Class Mail as a shipping option so a small order may cost less and arrive sooner. Both are excellent suppliers.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
              You are omitting two important values - diameter and height. It is embarrassing if a replacement cap won't fit into the available space.

100uf 16v EEU-FC1C101 6.3mm x 11.2 mm

1000uf 25v EEU-FM1E102 12.5mm x 20 mm OR EEU-FC1E102 is available in 3 D / H combinations

680uf 16v EEU-FM1C681 10 mm x 16 mm

I choose these parts from Digikey. Compared to Mouser, Digikey often has higher prices for components, but offers First Class Mail as a shipping option so a small order may cost less and arrive sooner. Both are excellent suppliers.

PlainBill
              Thanks for the quick reply, except I have a few differences...

The 680uf is a 25v, not a 16v like you have listed. And also, my 1000uf is a 16v, not a 25v like you have listed.

I am just curious is they are actually different, or if you mis-typed. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, except I have a few differences...

The 680uf is a 25v, not a 16v like you have listed. And also, my 1000uf is a 16v, not a 25v like you have listed.

I am just curious is they are actually different, or if you mis-typed. Thanks.
                Back in post#64 you listed the caps as:

I need these sizes;

100uf 16v
                1000uf 25v
                680uf 16v
                so it seems YOU mis-typed ....
                Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

Originally posted by pedro View Post
                  Back in post#64 you listed the caps as:

so it seems YOU mis-typed ....
                  I sure did.

Comment

Garbage in, garbage out.

Do it yourself.

PlainBill

Comment

CleanSC: I accidentally ripped the wires out of the 1x4 header for the speaker output. Could you kindly zoom in on one of your pictures around the connector? Thanks!

My monitor just died recently (same model). ACER repaired it in January 2010, and they said they replaced the Power Supply. Now it is out-of-warranty. No bulging caps. Symptoms are that when I turn the power switch on, the green LED power light goes on and out quickly. It could be some kind of power supply watchdog to ensure all rails are present (and power off if not), or something else altogether. Were you able to operate the PSU without the CPU board attached? It appears that the uppermost two pins of the interconnect pins appear to be a way for the CPU board to power the power supply off (says ON/OFF) and another says BR ADJ (?).

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by JustRob View Post
                        No bulging caps. Symptoms are that when I turn the power switch on, the green LED power light goes on and out quickly. It could be some kind of power supply watchdog to ensure all rails are present (and power off if not), or something else altogether.
                        If you have a multimeter, measure the connector between the logic board and the power board.

List the pins and and all the measurements you find.
                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                          If you have a multimeter, measure the connector between the logic board and the power board.

List the pins and and all the measurements you find.
                          Thanks, looks like 12V rail is dead. 5V is present (but only used for logic). I assume the 12V is used for the DC/DC fluorescent back-lighting. Can the PSU be operated safely without any load on 5V or 12V? Some PSUs are unstable in this mode, I just don't know if this is one of them!

Comment

Thanks, looks like 12V rail is dead. 5V is present (but only used for logic). I assume the 12V is used for the DC/DC fluorescent back-lighting. Can the PSU be operated safely without any load on 5V or 12V? Some PSUs are unstable in this mode, I just don't know if this is one of them!
                            Yes, the 12V DC is used for the inverter section. If your 12V DC is not present, it could be a number of things.

1) Bad caps. Even though the caps are not bloated, they could be out of uF or have high ESR (ohm) or dried out.

2) The 12V Schottky diode could shorted. You can measure the diode using your multimeter to see if 12V is present.

I don't know enough about this monitor to answer the PSU load question.
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yes, the 12V DC is used for the inverter section. If your 12V DC is not present, it could be a number of things.

1) Bad caps. Even though the caps are not bloated, they could be out of uF or have high ESR (ohm) or dried out.

2) The 12V Schottky diode could shorted. You can measure the diode using your multimeter to see if 12V is present.
                              Thanks, I just didn't know if the logic board is supposed to 'enable' the 12V section. I.e., is the 12V not being enabled, or should it power up immediately, or does the logic board, having not seen 12V, immediately shuts down (5V still present).

I see that there is a 19V section, I wonder if that is used for boost converter section for the backlight.

Comment

Thanks, I just didn't know if the logic board is supposed to 'enable' the 12V section. I.e., is the 12V not being enabled, or should it power up immediately, or does the logic board, having not seen 12V, immediately shuts down (5V still present).

I see that there is a 19V section, I wonder if that is used for boost converter section for the backlight.
                                On boards I have personally tested, there are usually only 2 voltages. One is 5V and the other can be 12V, 19V, or 24V depending on the design.

The 5V is for the logic. The "other" is for the inverter section. From my own testing, I usually see both voltages present (regardless of load). If one is missing, check the items I mentioned in the previous post.

So for your particular board, if you see 19V marked on the PCB, then it should be PCB (we don't have pictures of your board).
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

On boards I have personally tested, there are usually only 2 voltages. One is 5V and the other can be 12V, 19V, or 24V depending on the design.

The 5V is for the logic. The "other" is for the inverter section. From my own testing, I usually see both voltages present (regardless of load). If one is missing, check the items I mentioned in the previous post.

So for your particular board, if you see 19V marked on the PCB, then it should be PCB (we don't have pictures of your board).
                                  On the PCB, it shows three voltages and currents:
                                  5V@3.5A
                                  12V@2.0A
                                  19V@3.5A

Interestingly, there are two traces that connect the logic board to the inverter board. The PCB is the exact same as here (multiple posts and pictures). I plan to take it apart for probing purposes but all the Metcal stuff is at work. Not that I am working on SMT parts, but they have better heat dissipation than most end-user soldering irons. Thanks for your replies!

Comment

CleanSC: I accidentally ripped the wires out of the 1x4 header for the speaker output. Could you kindly zoom in on one of your pictures around the connector? Thanks!

My monitor just died recently (same model). ACER repaired it in January 2010, and they said they replaced the Power Supply. Now it is out-of-warranty. No bulging caps. Symptoms are that when I turn the power switch on, the green LED power light goes on and out quickly. It could be some kind of power supply watchdog to ensure all rails are present (and power off if not), or something else altogether. Were you able to operate the PSU without the CPU board attached? It appears that the uppermost two pins of the interconnect pins appear to be a way for the CPU board to power the power supply off (says ON/OFF) and another says BR ADJ (?).

Thanks!
                                    Hey Rob, sorry for the late reply; first time homeownership is no joke! I will look thru my old shots to see if I have what you need. If you can, post my initial pic with the area highlighted that you would like a zoom of.
                                    Successfully Saved Various TV's and Monitors from the Landfill:
                                    Acer AL2423W (Fixed in 2010, Still in use today), Panasonic TH-37PD25 (Twice), Panasonic TC-P55GT30 ($100 CL Score), JVC 27" LCD Television
                                    Repair Equipment: Fluke 88V, Hakko 936
                                    Skills: Measure/solder at component level. Light IC replacements (Chip Quik)

Comment

My issue with my Acer X241W is that when it is powered down or on standby for a period of time, there is garbage on the screen for about 5-10 minutes. After which time the display appears to be normal. As long as the system does not power down, the display works fine. If it powers down, then once powered up, the garbage is on the screen for another 5-10 minutes. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by gamo62 View Post
                                        My issue with my Acer X241W is that when it is powered down or on standby for a period of time, there is garbage on the screen for about 5-10 minutes. After which time the display appears to be normal. As long as the system does not power down, the display works fine. If it powers down, then once powered up, the garbage is on the screen for another 5-10 minutes. Any suggestions?
                                        Yes, start a separate thread.
                                        Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

People,

Just passing by to say thanks to everyone that already put hands on job and let us know here. I Started reading here 2 weeks ago when my X241W showed the same symptons. After that i looked to buy the correct caps.
                                          Today me and my friend changed all the bad caps... It's seem like the same bulged caps...
                                          My monitor was working sometimes, but i decided to open before it went dead completely. That's my tip...If your monitor is starting to show the signs, open up and do the job... Take pictures as you disassemble and change the caps with no hurry. I took 2 hours to do it all.

Guys, thanks, my Monitor works flawlessly!!!! If any one needs help, just shout!

Comment

Working...
                                          X