Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shuttle SN45GV2 + Bad PSU.

Hey guys

Looks like I have a classic dodgy Shuttle psu, well I hope its the psu at fault!
    This shuttle was bought new back in 2004 and used to be our htpc in the living room. It has been a real workhorse and certainly has paid for itself many times over so would hate to let it die!

Here is a quick rundown of what it has done and is doing now:

Acted flakey with a radeon 9600 all in wonder so swapped out for 9200 all in wonder
    Would not run at fsb400 anymore, had to drop to fsb333
    Started dropping the internal shuttle card reader, reboot would bring it back for a while
    Started to kick off the 4port usb kvm rendering the other 3 machines stuck! I initially thought the kvm was up the spout.
    I then gave up, pulled the power and left it for 12months
    Tonight I fired it up... nothing at first... completely dead! Tried again and again and eventually it fired up but no post, just the classic internal fan on full and nobody at home argghhh. Kept trying and eventually one more time and it fired up and booted, got into the bios and I find everything has reset to defaults, poo! I have seen an SN41G do this until it finally kicked the bucket

So im left with a few options:

Get a new psu - I know where to get a new fsp unit for £40+

Visually check the board for bloated caps

Upgrade the cooling

Upgrade the hard drive - thinking about one of my old 500gb sata drives and a cheapy sata-to-pata thing from fleabay to get it in there (sn45gv2 has no sata argghh)

This is all bearing on the fact its not fubard! Im sure the psu is the one that has a cap which fails and makes the whole thing flakey as hell... I will get around to opening this thing up later and confirming it. I seem to remember shining a torch at the psu vents once and noticing a cap slightly domed... probably asked somebody about it and never acted on it

Anybody got some feedback? Im just a little wary of sinking £40+ into it and finding she is on her way out!

Edit: I bit the bullet and ordered the following - FSP250-50GUB 250w psu & SERIAL SATA ATA TO PATA IDE 133/100 ADAPTER CONVERTER. I will crack the shuttle open tomorrow and then deal with whatever I find.
    Last edited by Altairat8te38; 02-14-2012, 06:57 PM.

Re: Shuttle SN45GV2 + Bad PSU.

Those older shuttles are well known for junk caps (usually OST & G-Luxon) everywhere on the mainboard and equally crappy caps in the PSU.

Those things need a full recap of the board and PSU to get them working normally again.

Crappy caps everywhere + little toaster case = this

More modern shuttles use polymer caps in the CPU VRM but usually still have junk caps elsewhere on the board and in the PSUs sadly :/

Comment

Now it is starting to dawn on me I have alot of junked shuttle parts in the shed and I have two sn45g boards in there that are dead... it has nothing to do with the vdimm voltage issue that plagued the v2. One of them slowly kicked the bucket for no reason and im so tempted to hunt it down and look at what caps are on it.

Comment

Update time

New psu has arrived, bought a new cmos battery and also decided to shoehorn a 500gb sata drive in using an adaptor. I hope this works out!

I will be looking at re-capping the old psu once I have confirmed exactly whats bulged/leaked etc.

Comment

Working...
        X