No announcement yet.

Windows 10 and magically hidden files.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 10 and magically hidden files.

Originally posted by stj View Post
    so what 3 letter extension is on your music files?
    I do not know how you get the in Linux as the properties show this /media/ubuntu/Windows/Users/Ann as the file location. The songs are in .MP3 I do not want each individual song. I want the albums with the album art as I listen to the whole album at a time and I do not play individual songs.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
      I do not know how you get the in Linux as the properties show this /media/ubuntu/Windows/Users/Ann as the file location. The songs are in .MP3 I do not want each individual song. I want the albums with the album art as I listen to the whole album at a time and I do not play individual songs.
      Did you install the restricted packages? If so, it should be as simple as just double clicking on a song, or if you want to play a bunch, just highlighting them with the mouse, right clicking and going to open or play in <blah>.
      -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Update didn't work because my little 4 GB flash drive is to small for the updates.This is why I say that one has to program linux. I just want these programs to work I do really care how they work. If I want to run my music files I do not want to play around with codec. In the old days we put a vinyl record on the turntable and play it. If I wanted to play it on someone's else's player I took it off my player and played it on theirs. Real simple. It was made to enjoy not play around for hours hoping to get it to work. Same goes with simple games. One does not want to play around for hours trying to play a game. Computers that are suppose to make these enjoyments easier are actually making them more difficult. It is almost to a point that not having a computer is kind of looking good.
        Keep in mind, Windows generally has more steps, but because most PCs come with Windows now-a-days, the manufacturers set it up for you. They've installed all the drivers, the codecs, the players. If you have a clean Windows 7 disc, for instance, and you go to install Windows on your PC, chances are, unlike with Linux, you're going to have to install a bunch of drivers. Then, depending on what you want to do, you might even have to spend some cash. I don't think Windows comes with any DVD codecs, so if you want to play video DVDs, you'll have to buy a program or (if the codec is free now), install it. Same with some of the other video / audio files.

I think one of the big things to remember is Linux isn't Windows. There are sooo many open source programs out there. Do you really want to play Windows Solitaire in Linux when you can just have your package manager download the Linux equivalent?

I think once you get the restricted packages installed and try out the graphical package manager, you might find things a bit less cumbersome.

Comment

I think I going give up on this. Yea a found a way to install the restricted packages but that did not help. They talk about gstream and how that was outdated. I finally tried connecting my walkman player trying to download and even trying to sink it up. The only thing that happened was it copied the album cover and then deleted every song on my walkman. I recovered it through a flash drive and then used Windows to sink it up and now the albums are back. What I think needs to happen is someone needs to take Microsoft to court again so if one has music files in windows it can quickly transform on to another OS. If one own and I have bought a album they should not be restricted as to where it will play and on what. The only restriction needs to be that the album can not be reduplicated on someone else's machine. That way I can load any system on my computer and reproduce it on that computer with what ever operating system I am using. If I decide to play it another computer it would not duplicate. Also if I transfer all of my information from one computer to another then the computer I am transferring should be allowed to transfer the music and an option should given for the rights to the song be also transferred so that the rights to the song will be canceled on the original computer. In fact all the information on a computer should be treated in this fashion. Microsoft does not even do that. So to go down any of these computer roads that does not offer that is a waste of my time and ultimately my money in purchasing a hardware device.

Comment

you need to think about the future, because windows wont be in it - atleast not in a form you would recognise.

payed-for music is a big issue - the only answer is to download pirate mp3's untill the legit sites get the message.

there are similar issues with E-Books.
            atleast with those - there are fixes.
            https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/...ls-for-ebooks/

Comment

When I ran the FTP music server back in the day, thats what I specialized in was complete albums. I ended up with a lot of them via the ratio service.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

that's not something a u.s. citizen should be openly saying!

Comment

that's not something a u.s. citizen should be openly saying!
                  This was way back when.....before napster and all the lawsuits. Audiogalaxy used to offer a FTP search engine that users could allow access to their own FTP servers. Great for home-brew FTP servers, and even better when you had a rockin' connection. I was always in their top 5 largest servers....it's been shut down for a good 12 years...The files are securely locked away. I miss those days.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                    Do you really want to play Windows Solitaire in Linux when you can just have your package manager download the Linux equivalent?
                    Actually, according to my parents, YES. After switching from XP to Linux, they refused all of the Linux OSS clone that I found (PySol; I'm sure there's more), they only wanted the exact look and feel of Windows Spider and Freecell solitaire. They couldn't explain why, so had to chug some Wine. It was fortunate enough that they were willing to use Linux instead of WinXP however, but these exact applications they could not accept alternatives...

Luckily wineing these binaries worked readily.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                      Actually, according to my parents, YES. After switching from XP to Linux, they refused all of the Linux OSS clone that I found (PySol; I'm sure there's more), they only wanted the exact look and feel of Windows Spider and Freecell solitaire. They couldn't explain why, so had to chug some Wine. It was fortunate enough that they were willing to use Linux instead of WinXP however, but these exact applications they could not accept alternatives...

So it is like when you have a good product why screw it up. I do not know why Microsoft insist on using different games in their new operating system and then refuse to let others use them even though Microsoft is not using them. I mean like since XP they have not got their money back? I am not against a music artist from making a profit from their hard work. I even have paid for many of the same albums more than once, but this preventing the buyer from enjoying their purchase where ever they choose has got to go or I just will never buy another album again. This is my only recourse. Anytime one depends on what they have done it past as what defines them now they miss out on the now. Their God given creative ability to grow and change for the better. This is Microsoft's problem they are trying to offer less on the good name of the past. Their unwillingness to change for the better through creativity is in my opinion why they are failing. They are failing themselves and people who buy their product.
                      Last edited by keeney123; 07-09-2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

i hate to break it to you, but the artists generally get screwed.
                        they get about 1c per download - if they are very lucky.

that's why some just up stuff to the net and make money on concerts and "donations" and goods like t-shirts, posters etc

Comment

that's why some just up stuff to the net and make money on concerts and "donations" and goods like t-shirts, posters etc
                          Yes I know that is how it is, but they do get some royalties. As I said I am not against them making money. I also know they have contracts that they agreed to in order to advertise their album so I guess these people need to be paid in order to put food on the table. What you are talking about are the fat cats that try and do as little as they can for as much as they can get. As long as people go along with this it will continue. My option is to op out. If the majority oped out then you would see change. Because it would hurt their pocket book.

Comment

you need to think about the future, because windows wont be in it - atleast not in a form you would recognise.

payed-for music is a big issue - the only answer is to download pirate mp3's untill the legit sites get the message.

there are similar issues with E-Books.
                            atleast with those - there are fixes.
                            https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/...ls-for-ebooks/
                            I can not live for the future. I can only live the now. None of use really know what is in the future. I could be like that software engineer that worked for Cisco in Seattle. I could be driving my kids around in a car when some punk gang person tries to shoot another gang person and misses and shoot the guy in the car with the kids. Killing him.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post

See, I can see something like that, where a person wants to emulate a piece of software that they're real foundly of...but when a person is emulating all the programs they used to use in Linux using something like Wine, you gotta ask yourself, why are you running Linux? You know what I'm saying?

I mean, heck, we used to like this program called ImgBurn and couldn't find a Linux equivalent that we were fond of so we emulated that in Linux using Wine.

I'm glad to see you got your parents switched over! I had my dad using Linux years ago until he got a laptop with Windows on it. He would log into my Linux box as his own user and I had it setup to start some solitare card program for him. He has trouble just using the mouse so teaching him how to start the program himself wasn't really a feasible option. We tried, many times though. He had never used a computer until my Linux box. At that time he was maybe 50 or 55 years old.

Comment

My friend was talking about this a while ago. He's a musician and a good friend. He said some famous band (I can find out who, I just don't remember) decided to put their new album up on their site and let people donate money if they wanted to, because he was sick and tired of the record labels stealing his cash.

Anyway, when he seen that over half the people downloaded the album for free and didn't pay, he was furious (or so my friend says). He was saying how cheap the American people where and then he took it all back. Even with over half the people getting the album for free, he still made more than what he got from the record labels!

I can check to see who the band was and if they're still doing the download for free or donate thing.

Comment

...None of use really know what is in the future....
                                  Not necessarily true! For example, I'm going to be President, I know that for a fact! And, I can see a bit of the future. Like the telephone poles, I'm doing away with them. Roadways? I'm replacing them, along with park lots, with solar panels, smart ones. They can light up and display stuff like the parking lines and handicap symbols. They can let you know if deer are in the road up a head, or if there's an accident. These already exist. Google something like Solar Freaking Powered Roadways

They should be able to generate enough electricity so everyone in America can have free, renewable energy.

Then, because I'm President, I'm gonna have to bring world peace. The only way I figured out how to do this is to unite the world by giving them a common enemy. Just gotta find a good scapegoat (or come up with another way on how to unite man-kind)!

Comment

My friend was talking about this a while ago. He's a musician and a good friend. He said some famous band (I can find out who, I just don't remember) decided to put their new album up on their site and let people donate money if they wanted to, because he was sick and tired of the record labels stealing his cash.

Anyway, when he seen that over half the people downloaded the album for free and didn't pay, he was furious (or so my friend says). He was saying how cheap the American people where and then he took it all back. Even with over half the people getting the album for free, he still made more than what he got from the record labels!

I can check to see who the band was and if they're still doing the download for free or donate thing.
                                    Trent Reznor did this but he wasn't pissed at all so might be someone else.

Solar roadways do not scale (too expensive) and don't produce much electricity.
                                    Last edited by diif; 07-10-2016, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Not necessarily true! For example, I'm going to be President, I know that for a fact! And, I can see a bit of the future. Like the telephone poles, I'm doing away with them. Roadways? I'm replacing them, along with park lots, with solar panels, smart ones. They can light up and display stuff like the parking lines and handicap symbols. They can let you know if deer are in the road up a head, or if there's an accident. These already exist. Google something like Solar Freaking Powered Roadways

They should be able to generate enough electricity so everyone in America can have free, renewable energy.

Then, because I'm President, I'm gonna have to bring world peace. The only way I figured out how to do this is to unite the world by giving them a common enemy. Just gotta find a good scapegoat (or come up with another way on how to unite man-kind)!
                                      I Love it. How about figuring how to put solar cells in paint and then paint everything with them. So anything that had paint on it would be producing power. Then you could use your power connection underground to connect it all up and provide everyone with what they need. No batteries for storing. Just convert it to AC run it all over so if you don't have sun here you have it there. Always could use fast breeder liquid sodium reactor for a back up and then we could get rid of all our atomic waste at the same time.

Comment

sodium reactors are dangerous as hell - do a search and see how they managed to mess them up!

anyway, nuclear power is a side-effect, the stations are all for nuclear weapons or industrial isotope manufacturing.

Comment

See, I can see something like that, where a person wants to emulate a piece of software that they're real foundly of...but when a person is emulating all the programs they used to use in Linux using something like Wine, you gotta ask yourself, why are you running Linux? You know what I'm saying?

I mean, heck, we used to like this program called ImgBurn and couldn't find a Linux equivalent that we were fond of so we emulated that in Linux using Wine.

I'm glad to see you got your parents switched over! I had my dad using Linux years ago until he got a laptop with Windows on it. He would log into my Linux box as his own user and I had it setup to start some solitare card program for him. He has trouble just using the mouse so teaching him how to start the program himself wasn't really a feasible option. We tried, many times though. He had never used a computer until my Linux box. At that time he was maybe 50 or 55 years old.
                                          I'm older than that. I like using a mouse as appose to a touch pad. You see most younger people don't understand some of the limitation when one gets old. One's vision gets worse. I am near sited but I can't wear bi-focals because I have a habit of failing with them on. I go into a store to buy things and things within two or three feet I can see well without my glasses on. Then that means if something is down low I have to put my glasses on to see it but then I can't see something two of three feet away. Of course the stores could make the writing large so it would make it easier so farsighted people could read things close to them and nearsighted people could read things away from them. The people who make these signs have no clue. I have gotten the wrong thing several times because of going back and forth with glasses and alternating that with kneeling down to the floor without glasses. OK with that said the solitaire games programmer must of consider older people. The face of the default cards have a simple design on them easy to see. Not complicated with swirls/ect. They have luxurious color to them. Not to saturated and bright, or dim and pale. This make it easy for old people to see what they have. The number and the design is not so large that, that is all you see and causes the person to concentrate on it to much and not consider the other cards and they are not too small that one can not see easily. When a person opens the MS original games to full size screen then it is perfectly easy to see. One does not have to play around with the screen size. After all of this one can change the appearance if one is tired of the type of design they are using.

Comment

Working...
                                          X