E701i-A3 issue(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E701i-A3 issue(s)

This belongs to a coworker that thought I might be able to do it some good. He bought it new, and a while back they had a lightning strike that took out some of their electronics. Killed his router, his gaming system, and the HDMI ports on this tv. Insurance replaced everything, and they still used the tv, but recently things changed. When powered on the backlights come on for a few seconds, then start going off and on. There's no menu viewable, and the remote doesn't seem to change or alter anything. I'm no tech, but folks here have helped me through repairs on a few other sets in the last few years. Was hoping to get some insight on this one.
    Thoughts?

Re: E701i-A3 issue(s)

Can we see some high resolution, straight shot pictures of all your boards and one of the back side of the TV? What kind of troubleshooting tools do you have available?
    The history of this TV is a bit vague, can you explain that a bit better? Was the TV fixed with a new main board after the lightning strike or did they just keep running the TV without fixing it?

Question is: Is the main board working and you don't see anything because the Tcon is bad
    or : I there a main board problem and maybe even an LED issue?

Comment

I just took a few pics, not sure they'll show what you're needing. I've got a few multimeters, that's about it. I've changed caps on a few tv's, and a handful of boards, but that's the extent of my "experience.
      The lightning strike must've hit the coax line for the internet. It fried his modem/router, his gaming system, and the HDMI ports on the tv wouldn't work after that. The gaming system was connected with an HDMI cable. Nothing has been done to it, other than them still occasionally watching tv on it.
      The screen , amidst the flickering backlights, shows dark. Maybe a blue/gray, slightly illuminated screen, but no picture, no menu, no static. The tv turns on as soon as it's plugged in, and neither the remote or the buttons on the tv make any changes, and will not turn the tv off.
      Attached Files

Comment

A lot of posters here don't have much more (ie. meter) or even nothing. :-)

The fact that the hdmi is no longer working is likely inidcation that the main board is in trouble since the inputs travel thru that board.

There are usually printed labels on the boards that indicate some of the voltages that need to be present for the system to work to some degree. You could ttry verifying that those exist. A lightning strike in / near a house in usually not a good thing for most electronics.

You are saying they continued to use the set via some other non-hmdi inputs until this latest failure. That was probably just "lucky" if you think lightning strikes are a sign of luck. :-).

You can try disconnecting the tcon to panel cables, one at a time to see if anything changes.. JUST in case some other failure more related to the panel happened. IF nothing happens, you should probably focus on the main card.

As another suggestion, check the fuse on the tcon card.
        Last edited by budwich; 01-21-2019, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I've pulled the tcon cables, together, then one at a time. No change. I'm "watching" a main board on Ebay from a broken panel tv. We'll give it a go. Thank you.

I will check voltages too.

Comment

Does this model have an HDMI receiver IC like LG's?
            Last edited by DXseekerMO; 01-24-2019, 12:51 PM.
            They call me......."threadkiller"

Comment

Originally posted by vbrad511 View Post
              I've pulled the tcon cables, together, then one at a time. No change. I'm "watching" a main board on Ebay from a broken panel tv. We'll give it a go. Thank you.

I will check voltages too.
              hmmm.... "no change"... there should have been a "white screen" on the half that had the cable disconnected.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                hmmm.... "no change"... there should have been a "white screen" on the half that had the cable disconnected.
                Nope. Just fired it up again after reading your comment. Backlights continue to flash, that's it. New main board should be here Monday. I'm hoping there isn't some deeper issue.

Comment

hmmmm.... which cables are you referring to? black ones or white ones?

Comment

hmmmm.... which cables are you referring to? black ones or white ones?
                    The ones coming out of the tcon, heading to the panel. However, the "new" board got here today. Installed, fired up, got a batch of vertical lines from the left side all the way to the right side, in pattern, and the Vizio "V", off to the right of the screen a bit. Then it all goes off, then back on without the V a few times, then back to a dark screen. I've also realized this is a 60", and not a 70", but the board numbers are the same. I've seen Samsung use the same boards on a few different models, so I'm hoping that's not the issue here.

Comment

Last edited by nomoresonys; 01-26-2019, 06:58 PM.

Comment

hmmm... you should note that IF there is a panel problem, on vizio's, this type of fault may / usually cause a tcon failure so throwing another tcon at the set is potentially fruitless. Check your cards to see if the "FET" on the board are not shorted / blown. Lots of threads on these large vizios whereby people replace the blown component and do some other testing to determine whether the panel is at fault. IF you get a "good" card, try first having no cables going to the panel connected, power up the set and check voltages at the tcon along with the "known fet". then only plug in one cable, power up and quickly look to see what happens on the display. IF nothing happens (is no display) is less than a few second, pwoer down and potentially save your card from dying. Do the same test, this time with the other only plugged in. Check the display... if you get a good display, then the other side was likely bad. Read some more thread on this type of failure and see if you can save the set.

Comment

Originally posted by vbrad511 View Post
                          The ones coming out of the tcon, heading to the panel. However, the "new" board got here today. Installed, fired up, got a batch of vertical lines from the left side all the way to the right side, in pattern, and the Vizio "V", off to the right of the screen a bit. Then it all goes off, then back on without the V a few times, then back to a dark screen. I've also realized this is a 60", and not a 70", but the board numbers are the same. I've seen Samsung use the same boards on a few different models, so I'm hoping that's not the issue here.
                          Which board P/N did you use? The one on the barcode or the white silkscreen printed on the board?
                          Never stop learning
                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

hmmm... you should note that IF there is a panel problem, on vizio's, this type of fault may / usually cause a tcon failure so throwing another tcon at the set is potentially fruitless. Check your cards to see if the "FET" on the board are not shorted / blown. Lots of threads on these large vizios whereby people replace the blown component and do some other testing to determine whether the panel is at fault. IF you get a "good" card, try first having no cables going to the panel connected, power up the set and check voltages at the tcon along with the "known fet". then only plug in one cable, power up and quickly look to see what happens on the display. IF nothing happens (is no display) is less than a few second, pwoer down and potentially save your card from dying. Do the same test, this time with the other only plugged in. Check the display... if you get a good display, then the other side was likely bad. Read some more thread on this type of failure and see if you can save the set.

Looks like I'll have to do a little more self-educating to be able to do all this.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                              Which board P/N did you use? The one on the barcode or the white silkscreen printed on the board?
                              I went off the one in white letters printed on the board. The only bar code is on a sticker on the wifi card.

Edit, now I'm seeing another scan-able tag. The numbers are different from mine.
                              Last edited by vbrad511; 01-27-2019, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Example, notice how it says 242 can be found on a sticker, it's on the sticker right under the MBVZ. https://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-y838...r-e701i-a3.htm

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                  Example, notice how it says 242 can be found on a sticker, it's on the sticker right under the MBVZ. https://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-y838...r-e701i-a3.htm
                                  So it's not just the board number, it's some sort of software ID on the sticker I need to match up?

Comment

The board numbers in white silkscreen are generic board numbers, you want to match up the sticker numbers.
                                    Last edited by nomoresonys; 01-28-2019, 07:36 AM.

Comment

I've found the correct board (216). The seller of this first, incorrect board has offered to take it back, providing it's undamaged. Is there a chance that me installing and powering up the tv with this "wrong" board have hurt this board?

Comment

Always a chance but I'd say it's small, better chance a bad panel knocks out a good tcon replacement, if the seller has a good reputation, they should treat you fairly, I always check buyer feedback if I'm dealing with ebay.
                                        Last edited by nomoresonys; 01-28-2019, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X