Nissan gets testy with drunk drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nissan gets testy with drunk drivers

A new concept car designed to keep drunk drivers off the road goes much further than a built-in breathalyzer test.

Nissan is testing alcohol-detection sensors that check odor, sweat and driver awareness, issue a voice alert from the navigation system and lock up the ignition if necessary.

Odor sensors on the driver and passenger seats read alcohol levels, while a detector in the gear-shift knob measures the perspiration of the driver's palm when starting the car. cnet article
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Re: Nissan gets testy with drunk drivers

do we really need all this? anybody have a car with seatbelt not on alarm? It is really annoying when a passenger gets out and then you drive off and have to stop to put their seatbelt back in the clip.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Yes, this is rather over the top. What's next? Do we all wear motorcycle helmets while in car.

Your green Avatar makes this post.

Comment

I heard that the car will dial the cops and write you a ticket as well...
        Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
        Zippy GSM-6600P
        Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
        Abit IP35Pro
        ATi HD4870

Comment

How many drunks would buy a car with such restrictions?

Comment

Anyone with a soldering iron and some knowledge would just disable these things anyway.

Hmmm it cut the ignition off huh oh thats what this relay is for .

I heard if it catches you it will cuff you and drive you to the PD .
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Too bad they can't find a way to keep people who don't take care of their cars from buying nice cars. I pulled up next to a new Z today in my E34; a couple of kewl looking dewdz driving it with their arms hanging out the windows like they all bad. Light turns green and his Z knocks and pings. lollerz!
              Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Originally posted by Super Nade
                I heard that the car will dial the cops and write you a ticket as well...
                days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

I don't want one of these things. My little Suzuki Esteem wagon knows its own way home from the Pub. We will be getting a new car soon the I will have to spend many months at the Pub inorder to teach it the way home. Its nasty work but somebody has to do it you know....LOL
                  "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                  Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                  John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                  Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                    Anyone with a soldering iron and some knowledge would just disable these things anyway.
                    Looks like somebody is into boosting cars.
                    Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
                    Zippy GSM-6600P
                    Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
                    Abit IP35Pro
                    ATi HD4870

Comment

Originally posted by Super Nade
                      Looks like somebody is into boosting cars.
                      as in stealing?
                      not me.
                      "features" such as those are gonna get disabled about 15 minutes after i take delivery.
                      if the prior owner hasnt already done it.
                      just helped a friend do a firmware flash on a caddy cts-v
                      seatbelt nag gone.
                      annoying as fuck.
                      it had to go.
                      i wont tolerate any of this big brother inside hardware.that includes vista!

Comment

well instead of pissing around with ones that stop drunks driving
                        why don't they develop one that drives drunks home!

Hell for that matter build one for people who read newspapers, yak on mobile phones put makeup on and eat breakfast while driving....Ive seen them all.

Gee we could even set them up so they honk the horn and yell abuse at other cars....while we sleep on the way to and from work.

Yeah ... just in jest here folks
                        You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Originally posted by starfury1
                          ..and eat breakfast while driving
                          haha... that's me
                          days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Working...
                          X