Capacitor sleeve shrinkage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitor sleeve shrinkage?

As the title suggests I've come across a capacitor where the sleeve appears to have shrunk and retreated up the side of the capacitor body.

Anyone know what the causes of this sort of thing would be? The capacitor is a Rubycon BXA 400V 2.2uF, capacitance measures fine but ESR is a bit high at 16 ohms. No signs of bulging or leaking.

I'm not trying to repair anything but I'm just curious as to what causes the sleeve to pull back like this? It came out of an old 8w cfl bulb and this capacitor caught my eye, so maybe its just heat related? I couldn't find the missing bit inside the lamp base so it hasn't flaked off.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John843883; 05-16-2018, 10:33 AM.

Re: Capacitor sleeve shrinkage?

It could be from a component that is mounted close to it that gets hot, like a resistor, or it could have been cut a bit short when it was made, I would not worry about it

Comment

I would replace it. The cap heated up for some reason.

Comment

heat, the sleeve is screenprinted heatshrink tubing

Comment

I'v seen that before, if the cap. got really hot the heat shrink would be pulled down from the top also, and it's not

Comment

depends where the heat came from.

Comment

For me, it depends out of what piece of electronics it came form. It looks like to me it is the main cap from a CFL or similar. So in that case I wouldn't bother. If that cap would be in something important you need to count on, it would be replaced in a heart beat.

Comment

Working...
              X