DELL 2405fpw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DELL 2405fpw

I am having a similar problem to those on this thread and wonder if someone can point me in the right direction.

It started with a high pitched noise that had lasted for a couple months. I decided to re-cap the power supply, but the very day the caps arrived in the mail, the monitor suddenly went blank. Backlight was still on, but the LCD display "drained" quickly (faded to black starting at top of screen and working down).

I found that D19 had overheated and lifted the trace off the board, and Q1 was shorted. I also checked R14 as Tduaong suggested and it was fine, but R9 right next to it was reading 50Mohms (though it was specified as a 10K resistor). I replaced that one as well.

However, I still have the same symptoms.. Can anyone point me as to what voltages I should get at various test points on the boards? It turns on, and I can switch inputs (indicator number on the front changes), and backlight comes on, but no picture..

Comment

Update! I did some further checking, and found a webpage by a guy who offers a repair service for these monitors. He gave a couple of tips of what voltages to expect at various points, and that led me to find that the 19V rail fuse F701 had blown! So, I jumpered over it with a 5A glass fuse to test, and when I turned it on I got the test pattern!

I didn't have a 5A slow-blow through-hole fuse like was on there (and didn't want to wait for yet another digikey order) so I instead moved the 5A fuse from the 7V rail (F702) over there, and then replaced F702 with the glass one, using a fuse holder that I had sitting in my toolbox from an old project. I did it this way because F701 is hard to access, but F702 is in the open.

Are there any problems with leaving the glass fuse in there (250V 5A bussman slow-blow)?

Comment

Stupidity vs Cleverness: Stupidity wins the day every time...

So with the help of this thread, I've been homing in on the problem with my 2405fpw. I was only getting 1.2V on the drain of the MOSFET, so I went the route of replacing D19, ripping out the MOSFET, caps, and coil, and putting an SMPS module in its stead (same as others have done on this thread).

Having a fancy Othermill and a DIY reflow oven, I decided to get fancier than tack-soldering in the SMPS. So I designed and milled a board, and then promptly destroyed the SMPS module when I was pulling it out of the reflow oven when it got caught on the temp probe and fell to the bottom of the oven. In case anyone is wondering, a surface-mount module which itself is a surface-mount board will in fact reflow a second time when you reflow it to your main board. And if it hasn't cooled down before it drops 3", the parts will come flying off the module.

But that was only Stupid Part A. I ordered a replacement (two this time), and successfully reflowed it, tested, then installed onto the monitor's main board. And yes, I had 5V instead of 1.2V. And yes, the monitor came back to life!

Now, Stupid Part B. Given how long this took, and how big the monitor is, I kept having to set it aside to work on other tasks. At some point (unclear where), I set it down on a surface I thought was safe, but was not. Big long crack in the screen---now it's junk.

Clever Part A+B+C was to design and assemble my own daughterboard, which was designed to sit on male pins that replace the two caps for the output, and a bent pin to contact the Source pad on the MOSFET. Dimensionally I got the board 100% correct the first time---everything lines up perfectly (with some jiggering of the bent pin).

Attached are photos of the board, a dry-fit of the 1st SMPS that eventually plummeted to its demise, and a shot of the whole thing in context, including the pins. The trim resistor solders to the holes on the right side of the board, and a surface mount LED and current-limiting resister get reflowed to pads on the lower left.
        Attached Files

Comment

Stupidity vs Cleverness, the fallout....

To recover some of my mental health and see at least something good come out of all this, I am offering the following:
          • The first one to PM me can have the guts of the monitor for free. Power board, main board, driver board, USB board, CFL board. Take one, take 'em all. It has the daughterboard on there as a repair and seems to work here on my bench, even with a cracked screen.
          • The second one to PM me gets an assembled and tested daughterboard, plus header pins for mounting. I'll also include a surface mount 6.8V zener for D19. Clearing the existing MOSFET/Caps/Coil is an exercise for the reader (hint: it's not as fun as it looks), as is replacing the zener (which is easier than it looks, esp if you have any SMD hand-soldering experience at all).

That's all I have left. The screen is a loss. The guts seem to work. I milled a spare daughterboard and bought an extra SMPS module which I likely will never use. May as well go someplace where it has a chance of being useful to somebody.

Comment

I have a similar issue to david, All voltages seem ok apart from the output of Q1 is 1.2v should be 5v?

Did anyone ever find out what causes this?

Comment

Hello,
              I have 2405FPW with a broken PSU. Which equivalents do you recommend for a power mosfets, signal mosfets/BJTs and signal diodes?

Regards

Comment

Reviving an old thread here. Mine was a bit different, well the Q19 zener was shorted, no 5V, and q1 was blown. So i just removed the zener, q1 and 2 caps and injected 5VDC 5A as per https://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~soumen/S...2405fpwRepair/

Nothing still. While poking around i found a bad fuse in the inverter area. So i shored it, and i blew a transistor, named 4512C in the inverter, it catched fire. it's at the q4 location.

I'm not going anywhere with that one, i can't see any display even with a flashlight of the please connect signal or anything. Upon connecting the power, the screen automatically powers on and the front panel buttons work. I see 22V and 7V at the power supply ! Any input would be great.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by cheebster; 01-29-2016, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I've also come across a dead 2405fpw.

F701, Q1, and D19 need replacement. As well, the main cap is oozing, squeals when off, and isn't able to provide a stable voltage (varies between 61v-64v).

D19 exploded and took out the solder pads. Looks like the unused R17 is a suitable spot to solder a replacement diode.

Before I realized what the situation was, I jumped the blown fuse with an ammeter for less than a second and saw 14A. This caused the buck inductor to smoke up and melt slightly. So that's probably worth replacing as well.

Will probably be placing an order with digikey, but I'm wondering why most people have opted to go the custom route instead of replacing these components? Is there something else I'm overlooking, and simply replacing F5305S, the diode, fuse, and inductor (if I've wrecked mine) won't fix?

Otherwise, could someone provide the part number for the blown D19 diode, the buck inductor, and the 5a fuse? The fuse is yellow and says 5A LF (littelfuse brand?)
                  As well, I see there's a few variations of the F5305S: http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...eywords=F5305S Any particular one I should get?

I have tested by supplying my own 5V directly to the fuse on the tcon board, and the monitor seems to work great. If there are more tests I can do to conclude that these are the only parts I need, I'm good to give it a go. Otherwise, I might just ghetto-rig something so that I can run it with my own 5V (perhaps pulling from my computer psu)

I've got Q1 (F5305S) removed, and D19 area cleaned up (R17 ready for the replacement diode)

As it is now, with an automotive 5A fuse soldered at F701, I'm seeing voltage at Q1.

Thanks everyone
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ziddey; 06-22-2016, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I've been using the monitor, supplying 5V externally. However, it has a severe yellow tint all around, especially so on the left/right edges. Settings have been reset to no avail. Occurs on both DVI and DSUB. Something with the backlight/inverter?

Comment

Here are some poor pictures showing the yellowing. There's a sliver of a dell 2005fpw to the right, which shows the proper color.

Despite the yellow tint, it's definitely not dimly lit. Am seeing stable 18.7V going to the backlight inverter..
                      Attached Files

Comment

Got the order from digikey today. Replaced the failed big cap. Soldered on the new mosfet and got 5V back, so the zener diode and fuse went in as well.

Unfortunately, the yellow screen still persists. It doesn't seem to be a backlight issue (I'm seeing 18.7V to the inverter, and a nice bright bluish light from the ccfl). The tcon board is making a bit of a buzzing noise. Could that cause this? The left/right edges show a particularly darker yellowing, although the entire display is as if I had nightmode/f.lux on.

edit: forgot to mention I'm seeing stable 1.8v/2.5v/3.3v for the 3 fets on the tcon board
                        Last edited by ziddey; 06-25-2016, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I passed the edit period again. New main cap measures 160v when off, and 214v when on. I've seen reports of higher voltages in the 300 range. Is there a problem here?

When off, the power board emits a slight squeal if the logic board is attached. Goes away when turned on. Could be more caps that require replacing, but at this point, I'd like to solve the yellow picture before other repairs.

Tcon board only buzzes when the lcd ribbon is attached.

edit: Damn. Not sure what happened. Been using the monitor all day with the new FET and had no issues. Took it down to poke around a bit more. Set it back up, and a few minutes later, the new FET smoked itself and is shorting out. Good thing I soldered the new zener diode in. ?!?!?!?!?!
                          Last edited by ziddey; 06-25-2016, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Hello!
                            My 2405FPW monitor T-CON panel defect. The C97 capacitor short.
                            Anyone know what the value of the capacitor?
                            Thanks
                            Dezso

Comment

Hi!

What D19 zener diode value you used?

Thank you!

Originally posted by ziddey View Post
                              Got the order from digikey today. Replaced the failed big cap. Soldered on the new mosfet and got 5V back, so the zener diode and fuse went in as well.

Unfortunately, the yellow screen still persists. It doesn't seem to be a backlight issue (I'm seeing 18.7V to the inverter, and a nice bright bluish light from the ccfl). The tcon board is making a bit of a buzzing noise. Could that cause this? The left/right edges show a particularly darker yellowing, although the entire display is as if I had nightmode/f.lux on.

edit: forgot to mention I'm seeing stable 1.8v/2.5v/3.3v for the 3 fets on the tcon board

Comment

Working...
                              X