• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-Force 200 "Power Supply"

https://youtu.be/0OSA1CS8bV4

http://www.xforceamps.com/item/Adjus...wer-Supply-448

As Morpheus said: "You have to see it for yourself"
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: X-Force 200 "Power Supply"

The box of death.

Comment

That website looks like it was written by a 12-year-old in 1997.

It's still better than the power supply. If you're extremely lucky, it's a circuit breaker tester.
      Last edited by lti; 02-11-2019, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post

It's still better than the power supply. If you're lucky, it's a circuit breaker tester.
        More like a fire exstinquisher tester.

Comment

Yes, there isn't much that can fail in a way that trips a safety device.

It also tests your body's tolerance of 120V.

Comment

WOW!
            That is one helluva shit power supply. Makes me feel completely safe about using my PowMax and Deer power supplies to their full labeled ratings - at least they will just blow up and pop their fuse. This thing...

Originally posted by lti View Post
            LOL, that sums it up pretty well.

And the description of their power supplies is absolutely hilarious. For those who haven't visited the website linked, here are some of the best quotes/lines.... at least IMO:

"-- They Are BAD TO THE BONE"
            I say: Yeah, no shit Sherlock. This is the "baddest" power supply I have seen - literally!

"-- To Keep You Swinging That XFORCE Hammer With Authority !!!"
            I say: Ooh, the power supply come with a hammer? How thoughtful! Indeed I will keep swinging it... with authority... until that thing is broken into pieces.

Now who would like to see/get the "3500amp" model?
            Last edited by momaka; 02-12-2019, 11:44 PM.

Comment

They didn't even get it UL listed?

Yeah this supply is not going to last, and take things out with it...

BTW, what is the target for a "2KW" 12V PSU... use it to start car engines? Normally amplifiers and transceivers, if they need the watts, they go up in voltage, makes things easier and cheaper to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                What would be the point in trying?
                The only place this thing should be listed is on the F.B.I. most wanted!
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Yeah this supply is not going to last, and take things out with it...

BTW, what is the target for a "2KW" 12V PSU... use it to start car engines? Normally amplifiers and transceivers, if they need the watts, they go up in voltage, makes things easier and cheaper to boot.
                  2KW 12VDC would do about 1.5KW output power from a linear rf amp. Think CB amp. Any SB box with a booster could drive the linear to full output.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                    What would be the point in trying?
                    The only place this thing should be listed is on the F.B.I. most wanted!
                    Well, if they tried, then it would never have been sold.

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
                    2KW 12VDC would do about 1.5KW output power from a linear rf amp. Think CB amp. Any SB box with a booster could drive the linear to full output.
                    That's the problem, can one really build something like that which actually works properly? I thought most of these tube linear amps, well, don't run off of 12V power.
                    Ganging up a bunch of low voltage transistors to run at 200 amps (AVERAGE, and there are no single transistor solutions) for the finals does not seem feasible, they will not all behave the same.
                    If people don't care about actual RF fidelity, then they might well buy this BS PSU...

Comment

Well, if they tried, then it would never have been sold.
                      They probably knew that it would never pass, so instead of drawing negative attention, just sold it "under the radar".

Or, like the completely clueless design, they may actually just have had no idea what UL listing is.
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

That power supply from hell like the person doing this you tube video I would not even think about plug it in into outlet

Really who thought of this crap knock off from a knock off and take as many short cuts as possible and let see if will not burn down the house or wherever it being used

I have seen some very poor design crap but this one takes the cake

Thanks for sharing this video I got real laugh from it

I might Jerry rig something to test some piece of equipment but sure would not leave it like that
                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-17-2019, 05:09 PM.
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply
                        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

You cant fix STUPID.

Comment

Yeah I'll be honest I'd possibly could jury rig something like this, but:
                            - I'd never hook up power supplies in parallel if they weren't designed for it
                            - mains power would get upmost attention to details. I may even have line power go to the switch first, then to the fuse, just to make sure the fuse was dead when switched off.
                            - I could NOT get myself to deadbug that little circuit they had there. Wow. Such patience. I'd fabricate my own board if I need it.

This definitely is not a mass produced design. Building that board would take forever for each unit.

There are some things I would have to disagree with the presenter:
                            - the shorted internal fuses. While the application of the internal PSUs is wrong and hence probably why they short out to prevent blowing, it's okay not to have a fuse there if the main fuse and the reset of the circuit was designed properly...
                            - the custom board and the tapped out "brown wires" ... again if the design/application was correct it'd not be an issue, though this is a manufacturing optimization and not a safety hazard.
                            - The grounds on each individual internal power supply would be nice to have but I don't think it really matters as long as the external chassis was grounded properly. Worst case failure would not be any different whether they are grounded or not. However the cost is low and would help out RFI anyway, there's no excuse to omit them.
                            - I believe the color coding of the wires are necessary for UL listing as well as would be a manufacturing optimization so a layman could connect wires without knowing what they were for. Not an issue if they didn't care for UL listing and they were hand assembling and testing themselves.

The problem is of course people usually wouldn't open these things to inspect before using them, especially if they have warranty seals on them. Not sure what to say at this point other than to try to open everything that one buys... including that vacuum tube tester that I posted about in the test equipment subforum...

Comment

They have a FORUM. Check it out.

Comment

more nasty shit for childrens band.
                                meant to power a spurious and harmonics generator.
                                aka splatterbox amplifier.
                                x-farce!

Comment

Working...
                                X