Re: EVGA 7600GT 256mb PCIe Poly Mod

[joking]his name should be copy_cat... LOL[/joking]
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
      ^
      I've never heard that one. How about an article of some kind to back that up?
      i'm gonna dig through my favs .. had lots of links on that topic.

basically, any GPU of the following is affected
      - G84 & G86 (GF8400 - 8600GTS)
      - G92 (8800GT, 8800GTS 512MB, 9800GT(X), GTS250

maybe even the earlier G96/94 chips (9400GT - 9600GT)

those had a huuuuuuge fuckup in the manufacturing process..
      once they go bad (stripes or messed up pixels in the picture, driver stop errors, no picture at all) they're ready for the trash

unless you know how to fix flipchip BGA connections of the GPU itself (talking about the actual glass-like-looking GPU on the organic GPU package)

edit:
      they do work fine up to the point where above quirks happen.
      constantly heating them up (heavy 3D use) and cooldowns (comp. off/standby) will accelerate the failing-process..

that's why it happens a damn lot faster in laptops (GF8400 - GF8600)..
      Last edited by Scenic; 05-05-2010, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Dang that sucks. I have a 65nm G92 based 9800GT in my media PC. Well, hopefully it will hold together until I get a GT240.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
          those had a huuuuuuge fuckup in the manufacturing process..
          once they go bad (stripes or messed up pixels in the picture, driver stop errors, no picture at all) they're ready for the trash
          Shit. Explains the issues one of my 8800s had in Halo. Never in any other game just Halo. Should I start looking around for a new card to replace it?

Comment

yes, you should. find one with bad caps cheap somewhere and recap it.
            sigpic

Comment

Actually just got done buying a 4850 to replace it, used but working.

Comment

Forgive the possible dumb question but what is the benifit to using/converting to Polly caps? How is the value calculated for the replacement? I notice they are all a little lower capacitance than the original..

Thanks, Trying to learn all I can here and there and This looks interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Aalelan
                  Forgive the possible dumb question but what is the benifit to using/converting to Polly caps? How is the value calculated for the replacement? I notice they are all a little lower capacitance than the original..

Thanks, Trying to learn all I can here and there and This looks interesting.
                  The answer to this was posted earlier in the thread:
                  Originally posted by kc8adu
                  does not matter if its a video card vrm or a cpu.
                  general rule is half but where the polys were still lower esr than the 3300's in a vrm i subbed 820's.bulk capacitance is not needed in these vrm's.
                  always works just fine.always cleaner than it would be with the best lytics.
                  now i dont blindly experiment on customers boards.i will test a poly mod thoroughly before i offer it to my customers.
                  i have subbed polys on many video cards and never an issue.
                  those 7600gt's will likely overclock well now as a side benefit.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Saw this thread when I first set up an account on badcaps and thought, "I have a dead 7600GT, maybe this will fix it!" But sadly looks like I have a very different revision, the factory beat me to the poly punch. Where fixing it is concerned, all the talk about these things dying isn't too inspiring either.

Attached Files
                    Fun needs a full tank of gas

Comment

Originally posted by Fir3Chi3f View Post
                      Saw this thread when I first set up an account on badcaps and thought, "I have a dead 7600GT, maybe this will fix it!" But sadly looks like I have a very different revision, the factory beat me to the poly punch. Where fixing it is concerned, all the talk about these things dying isn't too inspiring either.
                      Probably time to reflow the GPU, then. Tell that orange dude in the picture to use his superpowers to shoot some hot air on the GPU (or maybe just use a heat gun instead... or do an oven reflow ). May or may not fix your problem, though.
                      Last edited by momaka; 06-23-2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                        Probably time to reflow the GPU, then. Tell that orange dude in the picture to use his superpowers to shoot some hot air on the GPU (or maybe just use a heat gun instead... or do an oven reflow ). May or may not fix your problem, though.
                        [sarcasm]Ehh hem, he's an Elite, he doesn't have super powers...he's an alien...[/sarcasm]

err....

sorry, "jive" young'n speak there.
                        Last edited by 370forlife; 06-23-2011, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          animal0307 had also just suggested an oven reflow over at overclock.net but last thing he tried it on epic failure. It was ram and I believe it went from getting errors in memtest to not being detected at all.

Oh man do I want a nice reflow station and soldering iron. I needed a new tip for my rat shack fire starter and of course they didn't have anything close to the right one.

@370forlife Don't mean to toot my own horn but, nice tut I wrote up before I was a member here; featuring your's truly
                          http://www.overclock.net/monitors-di...l#post12759917

Comment

Erm, polymodding a PSU (either for a monitor or PC PSU) really isn't a good idea.
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                              Erm, polymodding a PSU (either for a monitor or PC PSU) really isn't a good idea.
                              So I hear from our discussion over here https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14662

I'm working on a new tutorial that is more accurate

Comment

Anti thread-jack link: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...622#post171622

(why is the edit button missing from my post?)

Comment

(why is the edit button missing from my post?)
                                  It times out but it's changed so many times I dunno what the time limit is anymore.
                                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                  -

Comment

animal0307 had also just suggested an oven reflow over at overclock.net but last thing he tried it on epic failure. It was ram and I believe it went from getting errors in memtest to not being detected at all.
                                    Personally, I don't recommend oven reflows because they are just way too ghetto and you can have components fall out of the PCB if you're not careful.
                                    But I guess it's still worth a try - better than a non-working video card anyways.
                                    A better alternative (IMO) would be a heat gun. If you don't mind cheap china made ones, you can get one for ~$20. I got mine for $18 from Micro Center. Then again, I got it to try a PS3 reflow, which I think was worth it even though it didn't work (I doubt this was my fault/reflowing technique though - some fly-by techinichian seems to have tried it before me... I know because there was thermal grease all over the motherboard, some of the screws were missing, and the BDROM connector was damaged). But anyways, I'm not quite sure a $20 heat gun would be worth it for a $20 (maybe?) video card. Perhaps for a learning experience.
                                    If you decide to do a reflow, though, get some liquid flux too. Increases the chance of the repair, and if it's successful, it will last longer too.

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                    It times out but it's changed so many times I dunno what the time limit is anymore.
                                    Last I heard, Topcat changed it to 1 hour. Used to be 30 minutes before that, and 2 years ago it used to be 10 minutes.

Comment

Last I heard, Topcat changed it to 1 hour. Used to be 30 minutes before that, and 2 years ago it used to be 10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

for a few days it was 2 hours... but then it went to 30 min.
                                      sigpic

Comment

See why I'm confused?
                                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                        -

Comment

I was around when it was consistently 10 minutes.

Really annoying! However it ensured that people most likely would not reply to a post that would be edited significantly down the track.

Comment

Working...
                                          X