vp2130b cap help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: vp2130b cap help

Ok for the USB board, again my caps had not failed here, but others had them fail, and Teapos are just bad news. So the deets on the recap.

This is for the USB board in the Viewsonic vp2130b, may be identical to the vp2030b.

The Old

Teapo SC 25v 100uf
    6.3x11 220miliohm 250ripple 2k hr lifespan

Ripple Freq
    0.70@120hz, 0.90@1k, 0.95@10k, 1.0@100k

The New
    6x EKZE250ELL101MF11D 25v 100uf KZE
    Digikey part#
    565-1673-ND

6.3x11 130miliohm 405ripple 2k hr lifespan

Ripple Freq
    0.50@120hz, 0.75@1k, 0.90@10k 1.0@100k
    Attached Files

Comment

Last post hope it helps anyone who is working on a vp2130b or vp2030b.

Ok the fun one, biggest pain to recap, but the working product is well worth it.

This is for the Mainboard/Motherboard on the Viewsonic vp2130b, may very well be the same as the vp2030b.

3 cap types to replace on this bugger.
      All Teapo, and one is a hard to find replacement.

Just like on the USB board another 6 of these.
      6x Teapo SC 25v 100uf
      6.3x11 220miliohm 250ripple 2k hr lifespan

Ripple Freq: 0.70@120hz, 0.90@1k, 0.95@10k, 1.0@100k

So of course, they get replaced with 6 of these.
      6x EKZE250ELL101MF11D 25v 100uf KZE
      Digikey part# 565-1673-ND

6.3x11 130miliohm 405ripple 2k hr lifespan

Ripple Freq: 0.50@120hz, 0.75@1k, 0.90@10k 1.0@100k

Next,
      These have gone on other monitors with the same motherboard, so good to change them out.

The Old
      4x Teapo SS 16v 330uf 8x9 1000 hr lifespan
      miliohm unknown, 155 ripple

The New
      NCC KY 16v 330uf 8x11.5 7k hr lifespan
      4x EKY-160ELL331MHB5D 16v 330uf KY
      Digikey Part# 565-1522-ND
      130miliohm 640 ripple

Ripple Freq: 0.50@120hz, 0.85@1k, 0.94@10k, 1.0@100k

The last 2 caps are difficult to find because of the limited space, it can be no wider than 8mm and no taller than 16mm, so generally looking at 8x12's to 8x16's.
      (might be able to squeeze 18 but who makes 18)

The Pain to find (Marked in the pink boxes in the images).

The Old
      2x Teapo SM 6.3v 1000uf 8x15 2k hr lifespan
      53miliohm 950 ripple,
      these caps work in parallel giving a total of 1900 ripple & 26.5 Milliohms

Ripple Freq: 0.75@120hz, 0.90@1k, 0.98@10k, 1.0@100k

The what you can use for new just have to find,
      I used Sanyo WG's, identical stats to Panasonic FJ's (had some on hand)
      (IF YOU BUY ON EBAY MAKE SURE FROM OTHERS THEY AREN'T HONG KONG FAKES)

Sanyo WG/Pani FJ 2k hour Lifespan
      8x11.5 6.3v 1000uf 30miliohm 1140 ripple
      Totals 2281 ripple @ 15 Milliohms
      Ripple Freq: 0.50@120hz, 0.85@1k, 0.95@10k, 1.0@100k

Alternative you can try but good luck getting
      (they all have acceptable ratings and fit),

Rubycon MCZ 10v 1000uf 8x16
      Rubycon MBZ 10v 1000uf 8x16
      Rubycon ZLH 10v 1000uf 8x16

Samxon GD 10v 1000uf 8x16
      Samxon GE 10v 1000uf 8x16
      Samxon GA 6.3v 1000uf 8x12
      Samxon GC 6.3v 1000uf 8x15 <--badcaps sells this one ( -> LINK <- )
      Raitings for the GC 6.3 1000uf -> 20miliohm 1700ripple

Final Note: If you want to be adventurous and find another cap to use in place of these suggestions, make sure the ratings are better or equal to the originals, this is the motherboard we're talking about, don't go slapping in 200ripple 400miliohm caps just because they fit and are 6.3v 1000uf.

Now for the pictures.
      Attached Files

Comment

Oh to make it slightly easier,
        the digikey parts list for all caps except the 2x 6.3/10v 1000uf 8x12to8x16'x

2 565-1602-ND CAP 120UF 50V ELECT KY RAD 0.50000 $1.00
        2 565-1603-ND CAP 150UF 50V ELECT KY RAD 0.45000 $0.90
        12 565-1673-ND CAP 100UF 25V ELECT KZE RAD 0.22200 $2.66
        1 565-1674-ND CAP 220UF 25V ELECT KZE RAD 0.35000 $0.35
        4 565-1522-ND CAP 330UF 16V ELECT KY RAD 0.32000 $1.28

The non digikey parts list.
        2x EKY-500ELL121MH15D 50v 120uf KY
        2x EKY-500ELL151MJC5S 50v 150uf KY
        4x EKY-160ELL331MHB5D 16v 330uf KY
        12x EKZE250ELL101MF11D 25v 100uf KZE
        1x EKZE250ELL221MHB5D 25v 220uf KZE

As far as the 6.3v/10v 1000uf 8x12to8x16 cap goes previous post explains that one best.

Comment

Wow! You did a fantastic job with all the details. Good to hear everything is working too .

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
            Wow! You did a fantastic job with all the details. Good to hear everything is working too .
            Thank ya, I figured I would write a bit of a small guide since this one was a bit of a pain to work on. ;p

Comment

great information m8

so far the only caps that were bad was the 3 on the inverter board and the 1000 uF on the main board. my board was rev a. i only had one cap there to replace.

i have them on order. i'll let you know how it goes when i get them installed.

Comment

ps i would take some before and after pics but ... i have a digital camera but ... software don't work with 64-bit op systems

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger5007
                  great information m8

so far the only caps that were bad was the 3 on the inverter board and the 1000 uF on the main board. my board was rev a. i only had one cap there to replace.

i have them on order. i'll let you know how it goes when i get them installed.
                  Well replacing those should get it back up and working, however I will suggest replacing the caps on the mainboard I listed at least as well since they are prone to fail at some point, unless of course you don't mind taking it apart later when they do fail. ;p

Comment

i don't mind taking it apart again if i have to. just need to get it working again asap. the parts have not came in yet though.

Comment

Wow! THANK YOU for posting this! I own three VP2030b's. The newest is going strong, the oldest died 4 months ago and the other takes FOREVER to start. I absolutely love these displays and you have given me hope - especially since I don't have extra funds to replace them anytime soon!

Comment

Wow, this site is a god-send!
                        I have been battling a crappy VP2130b for over a year. Thought I had bad video boards and all sorts of other permutations. I suffered all the same symptoms as everyone else...blanking out monitor, balky stubborn startups, and all the rest.
                        Never thought it would be "BadCaps" on a ViewSonic product. Geez! Whats the matter with those people.
                        Tossing in some new caps for a nicely functioning monitor again will be rewarding for me. I like to tinker.
                        Thanks to all you folks who have done the great research and prepared such useful repair guidelines.
                        All of this is greatly appreciated. Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou!
                        I'll keep you posted on my repairs.
                        --MarkIV

Comment

Same Monitor, same problem (although it went from slow start to no start in 3 days), diffrent caps to fix but after reading through this topic and the general guides and browsing a bit for suitable sources my head is spinning in quite allot of directions and i could use a bit (read: allot) of guidance.

From a visual inspection the folowing are defnetly bad :

Inverter:
                          All 3 are bad: CapXcon 180uf 35v

Powersupply:
                          1x LTEC lgz 470uf 16v

Mainboard:
                          2x Teapo sm 1000uf 6.3v

due to my limited knowledge (probably none) and me living in the ass end of nowhere im mostly limited to ordering from digikey and farnell
                          here are my thoughts (wich are limited to hammering in stats in the shops search engine if im honest)

Instead of the CapXcon 180uf = Panasonic - EEU-FC1V181
                          Instead of the LTEC 470uf = Panasonic - EEU-FM1C471L or United Chemi Con EKZE-160ELL471MH15
                          Instead of the Teapo 1000uf = United Chemi Con EKY-6R3ELL102MH15D or Nichicon UHE0J102MPD

any input (or firm kicking) would be highly apreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Fetty
                            Same Monitor, same problem (although it went from slow start to no start in 3 days), diffrent caps to fix but after reading through this topic and the general guides and browsing a bit for suitable sources my head is spinning in quite allot of directions and i could use a bit (read: allot) of guidance.

From a visual inspection the folowing are defnetly bad :

Inverter:
                            All 3 are bad: CapXcon 180uf 35v

Powersupply:
                            1x LTEC lgz 470uf 16v

Mainboard:
                            2x Teapo sm 1000uf 6.3v

due to my limited knowledge (probably none) and me living in the ass end of nowhere im mostly limited to ordering from digikey and farnell
                            here are my thoughts (wich are limited to hammering in stats in the shops search engine if im honest)

Instead of the CapXcon 180uf = Panasonic - EEU-FC1V181
                            Instead of the LTEC 470uf = Panasonic - EEU-FM1C471L or United Chemi Con EKZE-160ELL471MH15
                            Instead of the Teapo 1000uf = United Chemi Con EKY-6R3ELL102MH15D or Nichicon UHE0J102MPD

any input (or firm kicking) would be highly apreciated
                            I'll be honest. It's past my bedtime and I don't feel like reading the other 20+ posts in this thread to find out what 'same problem' means.

The caps you have chosen are good quality parts. Without more information I can't determine if they are the correct voltage and if their dimensions are correct. But you can easily do that.

More important is what you haven't listed. Given the nature of the problem, I would replace every cap on the power supply, with the possible exception of the large (100uF, 450 Volt cap). It is especially important to replace any small electrolytics around the SMPS transformer.

PlainBill
                            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

"same problem" is simply
                              the monitor suddenly started taking a long while to turn on
                              it would go something like this
                              press power button -> orang light dissapeared -> 2 minutes later -> green light comes one -> backlight comes on -> pannel turns on -> picture is there
                              and it deteriorated quite rappidly to the point where it simply didnt turn on

from my experience with mainboards i knew it had to be bad caps but as it turned out most tv repairmen these days are little girls with pigtails ....
                              On a more thorough questioning most sayd they wont toutch a soldering iron, some would but only if they had the circuit plans. Most simply wanted to exchange the boards.

Long story short
                              Voltage is correct and caps will fit dimmension wise
                              im mostly concerned about the ripple and esr because i dont know enough about that to say "yeah, thatl work"

Comment

Originally posted by Fetty
                                "same problem" is simply
                                the monitor suddenly started taking a long while to turn on
                                it would go something like this
                                press power button -> orang light dissapeared -> 2 minutes later -> green light comes one -> backlight comes on -> pannel turns on -> picture is there
                                and it deteriorated quite rappidly to the point where it simply didnt turn on

from my experience with mainboards i knew it had to be bad caps but as it turned out most tv repairmen these days are little girls with pigtails ....
                                On a more thorough questioning most sayd they wont toutch a soldering iron, some would but only if they had the circuit plans. Most simply wanted to exchange the boards.

Long story short
                                Voltage is correct and caps will fit dimmension wise
                                im mostly concerned about the ripple and esr because i dont know enough about that to say "yeah, thatl work"
                                I know enough about it to say "Yeah, they'll work." I will repeat, just because a cap isn't bulging doesn't mean it's good. Given the fact that you can replace all of the electrolytic caps rated for 50 volts or less for under $10, in my opinion it doesn't make sense not to.

PlainBill
                                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

yeah i defnetly dont plan on skimping

the other caps on the powersupply would be
                                  1x LTEC LZG 22uf 50v 5x12mm
                                  1x LTEC LZG 47uf 50v 6x12mm
                                  1x Taicon ??? 220uf 25v (from the first post = 1x Taicon (PW)P *5v 220uf 8x12mm )
                                  1x United Chemicon KY 1000uf 16v 10x20mm
                                  1x Nichicon HD 1000uf 25v 10x20mm

ill try and find suitable replacements later today

Comment

So to add some closure

i ordered caps for the broken and dogy parts at digikey
                                    folowing the guide on what to get here on these forums i ordered the parts i selected earlyer + some otherones i wanted to replace aswell

unfortunately digikey made a hash of it so i didnt get the replacement for the Taicon 220uf 25v but everything else arrived so i whipped out the iron and got to work

a note here : 25watt works ... barely

long story short, after i finished soldering curriosity got the better of me and i hooked the monitor up

first minute ... nothing happened ... and then ... there was light and it displayd a picture!

so in closing id like to thank endevite for this topic and plainbill for his gentle nudging in the right direction

Comment

Hey All,

Wanted to ask your expert opinions.. I have a VP2030B which has had all the lovely symptoms that everyone has described, and taking a look at the inverter board sure enough shows 3 blown Caps. (Still to look at the other boards)

Now unfortunately living on the bottom(top?) of the world (Australia), some of those component parts mentioned are not available here. So i wanted to start and at least replace the 3 dead CapXOn's.. The closest i could find were some Panasonics Part # EEUFR1V181 from Farnell:

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...db6dae11a1.pdf

And wanted to find out whether they would suffice ?

35V 180uF 6kHr 8x11.5 ripple:950mA impedance:56miliohm

The differences would be the higher ripple (810 original vs 950 replacement) and the lower impedance (98 original vs 56 replacement).

Appreciate your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Vandalix
                                        Hey All,

Wanted to ask your expert opinions.. I have a VP2030B which has had all the lovely symptoms that everyone has described, and taking a look at the inverter board sure enough shows 3 blown Caps. (Still to look at the other boards)

Now unfortunately living on the bottom(top?) of the world (Australia), some of those component parts mentioned are not available here. So i wanted to start and at least replace the 3 dead CapXOn's.. The closest i could find were some Panasonics Part # EEUFR1V181 from Farnell:

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...db6dae11a1.pdf

And wanted to find out whether they would suffice ?

35V 180uF 6kHr 8x11.5 ripple:950mA impedance:56miliohm

The differences would be the higher ripple (810 original vs 950 replacement) and the lower impedance (98 original vs 56 replacement).

Appreciate your feedback.
                                        Take a look at the first line of the datasheet under 'Features'. The FR's performance is equivalent to the Panasonic FM's. In other words, more than good enough.

PlainBill

Comment

Hi Plain Bill,

Not sure i understand your comment. I was more referring to the comparison of the Panasonic FR vs the CapXOn (which is the one on the Inverter board), would the Panasonic FR be comparable or better than the CapXon that i am replacing. CapXon features were listed by endevite earlier on..

Comment

Working...
                                          X