Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway fpd1975w

Originally posted by PlainBill
    7uF 50Volt 5 mm diam - need 1 ??? Are you sure this isn't 47 uF?

PlainBill
    Sorry - that should be 1uF 50Volt 5 mm diam - need 1

Ken

Comment

Sticking with Panasonic FC series it is P10312-ND @ 26 cents

or

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P10312-ND

BTW, you may want to order a spare or 2 of each just in case?

Originally posted by weflyuniv
      Sorry - that should be 1uF 50Volt 5 mm diam - need 1
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps
        Post some pics of the caps that are tightly squeezed together. I did not check any other cap on the list, I just took the first one and tried to give you an idea on how it is done.

Even PlainBill's part number for the 860uF 25V is 12.5mm in diameter above.

You could get creative and put the cap in at a bit of of an angle if they are side by side. You may even see some caps on the 3 monitors that are not installed straight 90 degrees up and down.

Other brands may have caps in the 820uF 25v, but you may have to try other suppliers who carry brands like Rubycon or some other.

I started "capping" just 5 weeks ago and so far I have fixed 5+ and waiting for caps for 3 others.

If you have not soldered, there are videos on youtube on how to do it as well as a FAQ here.

My favourite solder video is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4
        I noticed wetflyuniv specified the maximum height of all caps, rather than the actual height. This makes looking up parts easier. I also appreciate it when it is noted which caps have a diameter restriction. For example, 100uF and smaller caps seldom are crammed together.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Whoops, I meant 820uF, not 860uF. I wrote it past midnight so I was tired! :-)

I saw a pic of a Samsung 205BW (poster has 204BW) at

http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...t=DSCF0577.jpg

and I'm assuming the board will look like something similar. If yes, the two caps at the bottom left are pretty close together. So if he needs 10mm and the caps are 12.5mm, they might be a tigtht fit.

Sorry, meant no disrespect. I'm just trying to make sure the caps fit for him.

I noticed wetflyuniv specified the maximum height of all caps, rather than the actual height. This makes looking up parts easier. I also appreciate it when it is noted which caps have a diameter restriction. For example, 100uF and smaller caps seldom are crammed together.

PlainBill
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

A procedure for selecting caps is right here. You can try it and see how your results compare to mine.

First we rationalize the list. Then we pick out the parts.

1000uF 10Volt 10 mm diam - need 2 P12353-ND EEU-FM1A102 @$.51 ea
            820uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 7 P11222-ND EEU-FC1E821S @$1.27 ea
            680uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 4 P12390-ND EEU-FM1E681 @$.61 ea
            470uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 3 P12388-ND EEU-FM1E471 @$.51 ea
            330uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 2 P12386-ND EEU-FM1E331 @$.38
            220uF 25Volt 10 mm diam - need 3 P12383-ND EEU-FM1E221 @$.33
            47uF 50Volt 6 mm diam - need 1 P12383-ND EEU-FM1E221 @$.39
            22uF 50Volt 5 mm diam - need 1 P12927-ND EEU-FM1H220 @$.15
            10uF 50Volt 5 mm diam - need 1 P10316-ND EEU-FC1H100L @$.33
            7uF 50Volt 5 mm diam - need 1 ??? Are you sure this isn't 47 uF?

When ordering from Digikey, I suggest specifying USPS First Class mail shipping. Most order will be delivered in two days, at a significant savings over Priority Mail or UPS.

PlainBill
            The 680s you suggest are 12.5mm. Can you suggest a 10mm choice? I have doubts regarding the larger size as they are pretty closely positioned. I value your expertise and am reluctant to choose with my limited knowledge.

The part number for the 47uF is for the 220uF. Would P12388-ND http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...10027768595054 be suitable and in keeping with your choice methodology?

Do you concur with the suggestion of the P10312-ND http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P10312-ND for the 1uF 50Volt 5 mm diam by RetiredCaps?

Ken
            Last edited by weflyuniv; 06-01-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

680s are 10.00mm x 20.00 mm. Do you mean 820?

If there is no 820 that fits your size criteria, there is the potential to use 1000uF 25V as there are a couple of choices that are 10mm x 20mm, but I'll let others chime in if going up in slightly capacitance is a good idea or not (I have done it myself from 1000uF to 1200uF in a HP monitor with no apparent ill effects).

Looks like PlainBill cut and paste the 220uF in twice??

For 47uF 50V, I suggest P10321-ND EEU-FC1H470 (Panasonic FC). It is 6.3mm x 11.20mm.

The one that you suggest below is 10mm x 16mm. If you have the room, it is fine.

The 680s you suggest are 12.5mm. Can you suggest a 10mm choice? I have doubts regarding the larger size as they are pretty closely positioned.

The part number for the 47uF is for the 220uF. Would P12388-ND http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...10027768595054 be suitable and in keeping with your choice methodology?

Ken
              Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-01-2010, 03:34 PM.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

680s are 10.00mm x 20.00 mm. Do you mean 820?

If there is no 820 that fits your size criteria, there is the potential to use 1000uF 25V as there are a couple of choices that are 10mm x 20mm, but I'll let others chime in if going up in slightly capacitance is a good idea or not (I have done it myself from 1000uF to 1200uF in a HP monitor with no apparent ill effects).

Looks like PlainBill cut and paste the 220uF in twice??

For 47uF 50V, I suggest P10321-ND EEU-FC1H470 (Panasonic FC). It is 6.3mm x 11.20mm.

The one that you suggest below is 10mm x 16mm. If you have the room, it is fine.
                Yes. I meant the 820s. I will consider the 47 you suggest. Thanks!

I have heard that increasing the capacitance is OK. It is just that kind of understanding that I am short of when trying to select from among choices that diverge from original specs. Any additional insight as to the hierarchy of parameters when making such choices would be appreciated!

Ken

Comment

At mouser, it looks like this is a new cap they started carrying (26 weeks lead time?). It is Nichicon HV

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/N...5Q%2fazA%3d%3d

It is 10mm x 20mm. People here report good experiences with mouser.com as well.

I can't find this HV cap at digikey, but you can always ask them if they can special order?

Rubycon makes one too (ignore the UK website, I'm just trying to show you Rubycon makes one). See

http://uk.farnell.com/rubycon/25zlh8...25v/dp/1712580

Again, you can ask Digikey if they will special order the Rubycon for you. Alternatively, you may have luck trying local brick and mortar stores in your area for the Nichicon and Rubycon?

Yes. I meant the 820s.
                  Ken
                  Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-01-2010, 04:43 PM.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Check out this youtube video on Samsung 204BW. If you have the same board, I can see how the 820uF 25V diameter size can be a concern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XoF6...eature=related

Notes he even talks about using 1000uF 25V to replace them. BTW, I wouldn't run the monitor with the shield off and touching the components like he is.

And no, that is NOT me! :-)

If the new caps don't work, start a new thread and we will stop hijacking this one.

I also have a Gateway FPD1975W as well as a Samsung 931BF and a Samsung 204 BW.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The 680s you suggest are 12.5mm. Can you suggest a 10mm choice? I have doubts regarding the larger size as they are pretty closely positioned. I value your expertise and am reluctant to choose with my limited knowledge.

Do you concur with the suggestion of the P10312-ND http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P10312-ND for the 1uF 50Volt 5 mm diam by RetiredCaps?

Ken
                      Hoo, boy. I thought I had caught all the errors; not even close.

P12388-ND is a 470 uF, not a suitable substitute for a 47 uF. The one I identified last night was a Nichicon, 493-1896-ND UPW1H470MED @$.39 each. There is no problem with mixing brands.

The P10312-ND is the proper cap for the 1uF.

The 820uF 25V does present a problem. Digikey does not list a cap in any series of that value, voltage, and dimensions.

PlainBill
                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I have not located a source for exact replacement and do not want to wait for an extended period for a special order. I am rethinking whether I can fit the 12mm caps in. If I have the latitude to allow the can to not sit flush to the board but instead by leaving some extra lead between the board and can bottom I could displace the can somewhat to the side of the designated space. If I ensure there is no physical contact between components should this be acceptable? The Samsung 931 looks possible but the Samsung 204 will be more of a challenge. Alternatively I could buy these Arcotronics caps http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622 or maybe go up in capacitance as has been suggested.

Any thoughts?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Check out this youtube video on Samsung 204BW. If you have the same board, I can see how the 820uF 25V diameter size can be a concern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XoF6...eature=related

Notes he even talks about using 1000uF 25V to replace them. BTW, I wouldn't run the monitor with the shield off and touching the components like he is.

And no, that is NOT me! :-)

If the new caps don't work, start a new thread and we will stop hijacking this one.
                          Thank you RetiredCaps for all your input, suggestions and encouragement. I watched that movie and I too was uncomfortable with his handling. On that topic I understand that the caps can shock and should be discharged. I have learned this after much handling of the three boards I am working with. Either I have been lucky or the caps have lost their charge. I have seen a tip to use a light bulb in a socket with exposed leads to drain the charge. Do you know how long the caps can maintain a charge and do you do anything to drain the charge?

Ken

Comment

Disclaimer. I'm learning about all this and this is what I understand from reading. Others who do this for a living or used to do this for a living can correct or add their input. PLEASE!

From what I understand, the larger caps like 250uF 400V (main filter cap) could give you a really nasty shock. I generally stay away from these ones. The smaller caps like 1000uF 10V are "less likely" to cause harm.

When a cap is visibly blown, it is my understanding that it is generally discharged, although that may not be true in all cases.

I also read somewhere that once a LCD has been turned off, the caps are usually discharged within seconds.

When I do my testing after a repair, I usually plug the monitor into a surge protector bar and once I'm sure everything is correctly plugged in, I click the on button on the surge protector and then power on the monitor. If something goes wrong, I then power off from the surge protector.

On that topic I understand that the caps can shock and should be discharged. I have learned this after much handling of the three boards I am working with. Either I have been lucky or the caps have lost their charge. I have seen a tip to use a light bulb in a socket with exposed leads to drain the charge. Do you know how long the caps can maintain a charge and do you do anything to drain the charge?
                            Ken
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Great pics and good birds eye view so we can see the spacing. This will help in the discussion.

Samsung 204BW
                              =============

The Samsung 204BW will indeed by a tight. The larger diameter 12.50mm cap will not make it easy to fit the 4 side by side in the lower right hand corner easy (C112, C111, C110, C113).

The one 820uf caps in the middle (C316) of the board can be 12.5 mm since it appears you have enough room.

So you have 2 options. Either is fine with me, but others may strong opinions?

1) Purchase the caps you found on ebay. I haven't seen these caps mentioned before, but I'm confident they will work. They may not be "optimal" in terms for ESR/ripple/etc, but many people use Radio Shack caps (as shown on youtube) and it seems to work fine.

2) Go up in capacitance to 1000uF to get the right 10mm diameter and stick with a preferred name like Panasonic, Rubycon, United Chemicon, etc.

Samsung 931BF
                              =============

It looks like the two 820uf caps are right in the middle of the pic located side by side with diode D304 in between them. With the bigger diameter, these caps may have to sit "off" board slightly so they don't touch diode D304. I have a NEC monitor where one cap is actually straddling an IC (by design). I'll be posting that later to come in another thread.

You can slightly bend the cap leads away from the diode D304 and it will be alright. The important part is the underside to make sure the solder makes a good connection with solder pad and cap lead.

Notice the cap C107 in the 204BW picture (the one covered in white glue). It is not sitting flush to the board either. So caps don't necessary have to be straight up and down.

Gateway 1975w
                              =============

Since there is no 820uF part for the Gateway, you should be good to go. It looks like cap C206 is sitting off board as well.

BTW, if you are eager to repair and don't mind paying for shipping again (I don't know how much digikey will charge for 2 orders versus 1 order), I would get all the caps for the Gateway now and then decide on the 820uF a bit later for the two Samsungs.

By fixing the Gateway first, you will get confidence and the other ones will seem a bit easier.

PS. NORMALLY, picking caps isn't this hard or scientific, but some boards use caps of certain size or fit that makes your first impression more complex than it is.

I have not located a source for exact replacement and do not want to wait for an extended period for a special order. I am rethinking whether I can fit the 12mm caps in. If I have the latitude to allow the can to not sit flush to the board but instead by leaving some extra lead between the board and can bottom I could displace the can somewhat to the side of the designated space. If I ensure there is no physical contact between components should this be acceptable? The Samsung 931 looks possible but the Samsung 204 will be more of a challenge. Alternatively I could buy these Arcotronics caps http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622 or maybe go up in capacitance as has been suggested.

Any thoughts?
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

On fitting the 820uF caps in, I see three options. The easiest is going with 1000uF caps if they will fit. If all are in parallel, substitute a 330uF cap for one of them. This gives the same net capacitance.

Another option is examining the circuit. Are these used on the 5V or 12 V supply? If they are on the 12V supply, you can't go down in voltage, but you can use 16 volt caps on the 5 volt supply.

A third possibility - what is the actual clearance? The 820uF, 25 V caps are available in a 'narrow' configuration of 10 MM x 25 mm

PlainBill

Comment

On fitting the 820uF caps in, I see three options. The easiest is going with 1000uF caps if they will fit. If all are in parallel, substitute a 330uF cap for one of them. This gives the same net capacitance.

Another option is examining the circuit. Are these used on the 5V or 12 V supply? If they are on the 12V supply, you can't go down in voltage, but you can use 16 volt caps on the 5 volt supply.

A third possibility - what is the actual clearance? The 820uF, 25 V caps are available in a 'narrow' configuration of 10 MM x 25 mm

PlainBill
                                  The clearance appears to be 26mm. Depending on how well I can seat them against the board they might just barely fit. They probably would just fit but there is the possibility that the top of the caps would be in low pressure contact with the metal housing. Is that a problem?

With regard to the higher capacitance caps such as the 1000uF I see there is a Panasonic P5544ND http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...&name=P5544-ND. Would that be a better choice than the Arcotronics Caps at http://stores.channeladvisor.com/nat...010x20mm%20105 which appear to be a match for the specs of the caps to be replaced?

I know I am completely out of my area of expertise here so go easy on my newbie ignorance!

Ken

Comment

Great pics and good birds eye view so we can see the spacing. This will help in the discussion.

Samsung 204BW
                                    =============

The Samsung 204BW will indeed by a tight. The larger diameter 12.50mm cap will not make it easy to fit the 4 side by side in the lower right hand corner easy (C112, C111, C110, C113).

The one 820uf caps in the middle (C316) of the board can be 12.5 mm since it appears you have enough room.

So you have 2 options. Either is fine with me, but others may strong opinions?

1) Purchase the caps you found on ebay. I haven't seen these caps mentioned before, but I'm confident they will work. They may not be "optimal" in terms for ESR/ripple/etc, but many people use Radio Shack caps (as shown on youtube) and it seems to work fine.

2) Go up in capacitance to 1000uF to get the right 10mm diameter and stick with a preferred name like Panasonic, Rubycon, United Chemicon, etc.

Samsung 931BF
                                    =============

It looks like the two 820uf caps are right in the middle of the pic located side by side with diode D304 in between them. With the bigger diameter, these caps may have to sit "off" board slightly so they don't touch diode D304. I have a NEC monitor where one cap is actually straddling an IC (by design). I'll be posting that later to come in another thread.

You can slightly bend the cap leads away from the diode D304 and it will be alright. The important part is the underside to make sure the solder makes a good connection with solder pad and cap lead.

Notice the cap C107 in the 204BW picture (the one covered in white glue). It is not sitting flush to the board either. So caps don't necessary have to be straight up and down.

Gateway 1975w
                                    =============

Since there is no 820uF part for the Gateway, you should be good to go. It looks like cap C206 is sitting off board as well.

BTW, if you are eager to repair and don't mind paying for shipping again (I don't know how much digikey will charge for 2 orders versus 1 order), I would get all the caps for the Gateway now and then decide on the 820uF a bit later for the two Samsungs.

By fixing the Gateway first, you will get confidence and the other ones will seem a bit easier.

PS. NORMALLY, picking caps isn't this hard or scientific, but some boards use caps of certain size or fit that makes your first impression more complex than it is.
                                    Thanks RetiredCaps! I have tended to defer to PlainBill's suggestions as he is listed as Senior Member and you have made it clear that you as well yield to some other members but you input has been very helpful. I am probably driving you two nuts but I think I am just about done with my fifty questions! I have more time than money so I lean toward the cheapest approach but I want my labor to produce good results. I know well that success will encourage me to continue and restore more gear. I see "gold in them thar hills" at the Computer Recycling Center! Well maybe not gold but at least a modest return on my work anyway!

Ken

Comment

The clearance appears to be 26mm. Depending on how well I can seat them against the board they might just barely fit. They probably would just fit but there is the possibility that the top of the caps would be in low pressure contact with the metal housing. Is that a problem?

With regard to the higher capacitance caps such as the 1000uF I see there is a Panasonic P5544ND http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...&name=P5544-ND. Would that be a better choice than the Arcotronics Caps at http://stores.channeladvisor.com/nat...010x20mm%20105 which appear to be a match for the specs of the caps to be replaced?

I know I am completely out of my area of expertise here so go easy on my newbie ignorance!

Ken
                                      The P5544-ND is not a low ESR cap and is unsuitable for this application. There are no specs listed for the Arcotronics caps, I wouldn't trust them for this application.

As it stands, the best option appears to be P11221-ND EEU-FC1E821 820 uF, 25 Volt 10mm x 25mm caps. I don't like the idea of cramming in 12.5mm x 20 mm, OR bending the leads to offset them. None of the 1000uF caps I find will fit either (no, I haven't done an exhaustive search). If push comes to shove, a ball peen hammer and a block of soft wood will put a set of dimples in the cover to give a little extra clearance.

Otherwise, take a picture of the bottom of the board and I will see if I can figure out what supply voltage we are dealing with here, but I'm NOT real comfortable with dropping down to 16 volt caps. I much prefer 'better than original' to 'maybe almost as good as original'.

PlainBill

Comment

Thanks RetiredCaps! I have tended to defer to PlainBill's suggestions as he is listed as Senior Member and you have made it clear that you as well yield to some other members but you input has been very helpful. I am probably driving you two nuts but I think I am just about done with my fifty questions! I have more time than money so I lean toward the cheapest approach but I want my labor to produce good results. I know well that success will encourage me to continue and restore more gear. I see "gold in them thar hills" at the Computer Recycling Center! Well maybe not gold but at least a modest return on my work anyway!

Ken
                                        One word of warning. The rank is based on number of posts, not quality of advice. Some of the people who post here shouldn't be trusted with a screwdriver. For example, there is this on senior member who sometimes comes up with some really BAD advice. I can't remember his name, but it's something like planebull....

PlainBill

Comment

No worries. Answering questions makes me try to explain what little I know (right now) into something someone else can understand.

And since my answers are read by everyone, I must make sure I'm "correct".

I want you to be successful in this little adventure.

Now, if you are to ask me some Networking questions, I don't have to rely on too many people.

Thanks RetiredCaps! I have tended to defer to PlainBill's suggestions as he is listed as Senior Member and you have made it clear that you as well yield to some other members but you input has been very helpful. Ken
                                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X