Intelliplug issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intelliplug issue...

Had/have a strange issue with one of these plugs, the one we have is the same as in the attached photo.

It's been in use for probably 4 or 5 years on my parents computer setup, the PC plugged into the master socket, and a 4-gang extension plugged in one of the peripheral sockets, with monitor, modem and a lamp plugged into the 4-gang. No bother at all over those 4-5 years.

PC is nothing too special, Q9400 processor, and 2 SATA hard drives the main power draws, one 80Gb, one 160GB.

A couple of weekends ago, I installed an extra 500GB hard drive (a WD blue Caviar, IIRC), I was planning on removing the 160GB. Anyway, when I was using the PC with this new hard drive, the Intelliplug was switching off the peripheral socket intermittantly; the PC was staying on though. It might turn off the perpheral socket for a minute or two, sometimes longer, sometimes might not come back on at all, but at least I could unplug the peripherals, and connect direct to socket to continue using the PC.

Even with nothing in the peripheral socket, the Intelliplug would switch off power to the peripheral sockets, but PC would continue to run ok.

I also have an Intelliplug with the master and peripherals sockets on an 8-gang extension lead, and it behaved the same as the plug (switching off the peripherals with the 500GB hard drive attached), so obviously something with the addition of the 500Gb hard drive throwing off the balance.

When I disconnected the 500Gb hard drive, and went back to the original setup, the Intelliplug behaves as normal, like it did before.

Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? I would have expected with the extra hard drive attached, the power draw would be more, and less likely to cause the Intelliplug to think "low power state, drop power to the peripherals".
    Attached Files

Re: Intelliplug issue...

I'll bet that "Blue" drive is actually the remnants of the green and blue line being merged and draws LESS power. Much like my 4tb "Blue". Try running it with all 3 drives connected.
    Last edited by goontron; 12-13-2017, 08:18 AM.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Actually, I was running it with the 3 drives when I encountered the weird behaviour.

I didn't have time to test with the 500GB in place of the 160GB, but I may have to, as I would like to have the 500GB in there eventually.

Just thought it was a strange thing to happen, as both Intelliplugs work as expected without the 500GB in the PC.

Now, I did make one other change when adding the 3rd drive; the 80GB is the main OS hard drive, and it has both the Molex and SATA power connectors on it. Because the PSU has only 2 SATA power connectors, when using all 3 drives I swapped the 80GB power connector from the SATA power connector (no problem with Intelliplug), to use the Molex power connector (problem with Intelliplug).

Maybe that has something to do with it...?

Comment

^Im not sure then.... Shot in the dark: when you added the 3rd drive the PSU efficacy went up a bit? Around 50% load is when a PSU is most efficient. Maybe the load dropped off enough to confuse the stupid plug? Sorta fits with the sporadic behaviour and CPU ramping... Again, splitting the air here.
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

i'm thinking you should inspect the caps in your psu.
          just maybe, you put the load over the capability of the caps and caused ripple.
          it's also worth checking caps in the plug if it's got years of runtime.

Comment

Working...
          X