Group Buy: CH341A Programmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group Buy: CH341A Programmer

Is anyone interested in participating in a group buy for this?

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?&id=39537489315

Sure, there are myriads of CH341A devices on the market, but the software originates from a single seller (though I assume he is using the PonyProg source as his base).

I spoke with the seller, and there are two versions of his software. One version goes up to 1.29, which requires a paid license.

The next iteration of his software (current version 1.32 I think) uses a security dongle (The purple USB device shown in the last picture).

In order to purchase these, we would need to use a TaoBao escrow service because there's no other way to pay the seller.

The group buy is to offset the cost of the escrow.

Please post here if you're interested.
    Attached Files
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Re: Group Buy: CH341A Programmer

I moved your thread here as due to forum rules members can't reply to threads created in the "for sale" forum...
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Thank you Per.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

I have always wanted some kind of programmer. What kind of chips would this be good for? Removable BIOS chips on motherboards for sure.. but what else could I un-brick with it? I think I have seen adapters to do other pin formats (like smd) edit: looks like an adapter in the picture. Tell me why I should get this one.
        Last edited by bluto; 11-10-2015, 09:11 PM. Reason: looked at picture again

Comment

24 series and 25 series 8 pin chips.

Comment

Originally posted by bluto View Post
            I have always wanted some kind of programmer. What kind of chips would this be good for? Removable BIOS chips on motherboards for sure.. but what else could I un-brick with it? I think I have seen adapters to do other pin formats (like smd) edit: looks like an adapter in the picture. Tell me why I should get this one.
            He is selling three things:

1) Simplest version, around $5 USD

This version comes with a license for software version 1.29. The license and a link to the software is sent to your email. Upon launching the software, you are presented with a hardware key, this key is sent to the seller, and he sends you the corresponding unlock codes.

2) Latest revision, includes purple security dongle.

The benefit of this version is that you can use later software versions with it, provided you have the dongle plugged into the computer you're running the software on. No license is required for this version, and the software is sent to your email. Free software upgrades. Price is around $10 USD.

3) Same as the second item but it also includes this dual SOIC adapter for 8 and 16 pin chips (Price is around $15USD):

Personally I am only interested in the software. As far as I know, this is the best and most actively developed software available for this sort of thing. So his adapters come as part of the package. Yes, you could get the same thing on eBay for next to nothing, but you would have to use the older software versions which do not support all the chips out there.
            Attached Files

Comment

I would deffo buy one, when they available ?
              Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

I will see what other arrangement I can make with the seller, but the idea was to use an escrow service to order it off TaoBao, and then have it shipped from North America to anyone who says they're interested in this thread.

There's a bit of a language barrier between the seller and myself, but I'm trying to arrange for him to ship directly.

G-D willing, I will post more info when I have it.

Comment

As I already told mockingbird, Mikhail also sells Postal3 programmers. He is proven supplier, I can get some discount etc. and I have been just informed the SW got new capabilities (its russian). Adapters for SOP chips are available too, just the QFP are missing…you may consider those over some no-name chinese. These people try to rob you whenever possible. And it's still just garage thing with no casing etc.
                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                  Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Good news!

I've been chatting with him over the past week or so, and he was finally able to list the item on AliExpress.

Here is a link to it for whoever is interested:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CH341...546736891.html

It's $20 US for the full fledged version. You get the advanced programmer, a small PCB for SOIC chips, a SOIC converter PCB, and most importantly, the security dongle. Versions of the software after 1.29 will only work with the dongle.

This is the only CH341A programmer with a selectable 1.8V setting. But he informed me that the 1.8V requires a mod or slight fix to be operational. Details are in the picture of the listing.

Comment

I'm not sure that I'd want to buy something from a person who scrapes the part markings off chips. Firstly it's petty, and secondly it's stupid. It's pretty obvious that the large IC is a CH341A and the small IC is an LDO regulator, probably an LD1117 or equivalent.

Comment

does he give a download link for the software?

i'm just saying, because a hell of a lot of non-chinese people have his older programmer and cant get the updates because they cant navigate chinese forums!

chinese forums and social-media are NOT how a professional should be distributing his software!
                        Last edited by stj; 11-24-2015, 02:19 PM.

Comment

He doesn't distribute his software freely (which forum did you see it on exactly?). You have to buy the part from him, and then he gives you the link.

Even if you have software version 1.29, it will not work without a license, so there's no point.

And version 1.32 will not work without that security dongle. So even if you had the software, you would not be able to use it.

The point is, if you want an inexpensive way of using a fully-featured programmer, this is it. Yes, you can spend a lot more money and buy something professional, but you're not paying for the hardware. What you are paying for is a subscription to a constantly-updated software which will keep supporting more and more chips.

Comment

I would like a programmer that can program chips in-circuit. To this end I would need a circuit diagram for the PCB to satisfy myself that no pin is hardwired to ground or VCC. For example, if the HOLD pin is wired to VCC rather than tied high via a resistor, then this could impress the supply voltage onto an MCU GPIO pin on the target PCB.

See this thread:
                            http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=1040

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                              He doesn't distribute his software freely (which forum did you see it on exactly?). You have to buy the part from him, and then he gives you the link.
                              i dont think your hearing me.
                              he announces his versions on a chinese blogger-site
                              http://blog.163.com/skygz@126/blog/s...2012742153122/
                              and links via a forum.

when he gives you the "link" you will see what i mean.

Comment

There are other programmers which have constantly updated SW, and can program in circuit…as I mentioned few posts above. At least I think so, there are some cables in the package you can connect to chips I guess. I must admit I really have no idea how these things work, I am glad I can programm 93C66B EEPROMs…
                                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  i dont think your hearing me.
                                  he announces his versions on a chinese blogger-site
                                  and links via a forum.

when he gives you the "link" you will see what i mean.
                                  Yes, I know that blog. And it's not a secret that the software is openly available. Just look at the myriads of people begging for a license. What I'm trying to do is direct people to the author, since previously he was only selling it through TaoBao which is out of reach for most people.

If you don't have a license, the software is worthless beyond a certain version, and you are lacking support for all the chips the CH341A is capable of programming.

What you are paying for here is essentially the software license and subscription.

Behemot: The Russian programmer looks pretty impressive. But the reason I went with this one in the end is because it's the only one of its kind with a 1.8V setting as well.

Comment

I'm wondering how this programmer can work with 1.8V chips. The CH341A datasheet specifies a minimum VIH voltage of 2.0V on its I/O pins.

As for devices in general, I would think that a generic programming algorithm for SPI flash would suffice for most, if not all, 25xx flash types. The same goes for 24xx EEPROMs. Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by fzabkar View Post
                                      As for devices in general, I would think that a generic programming algorithm for SPI flash would suffice for most, if not all, 25xx flash types. The same goes for 24xx EEPROMs. Am I wrong?
                                      I would think not. Look at the blog link posted earlier:

Version 1.30 2015-11-17
                                      Optimizing OTP function part of the code
                                      Rebuild chip database structure
                                      Added log feature
                                      Before modifying any read-write \ \ wipe operation, must automatically detect the chip, no detected chip termination
                                      Increase the read is complete calibration can be carried out, can be turned on or off in the options, defaults off
                                      Fix when the software is first run, appeared stuck like
                                      Repair W25Q256FV cannot burn to write BUG
                                      Added AT25DL081, MX25L25635F, MX25L12839F, MX25L12873F, MX25L25639F, MX25L25735E, MX25L51245G support
                                      Added INTEL 160S33B, 320S33B, 640S33B support

Other minor changes to optimize
                                      So it seems that the subtle changes in different chips does require re-writing the algorithms.
                                      I'm wondering how this programmer can work with 1.8V chips. The CH341A datasheet specifies a minimum VIH voltage of 2.0V on its I/O pins.
                                      Interesting... I'll see if I have a 1.8V chip I can desolder off a board to test for you when the kit arrives.

Incidentally, he did send me version 1.30 overnight, and while we were chatting he also mentioned this:

He said that it's a 1.8V LDO Regulator (SOT-23), and a 50V 1uF cap for the 1.8V fix... But that's just electrically to convert the USB 5V to 1.8V. There's a jumper block on the device to select voltages. As for how he managed to get around the spec, good question, I can ask him. Oh, and I asked him if he could include the regulator and the cap, he said not to worry, it comes with them already bodged in there.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by mockingbird; 11-24-2015, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Sometimes, it is possible to program SPI flash in-circuit from an external programmer, provided that only the external programmer is accessing the SPI flash, and there must be no strong pull (up or down) on the SPI flash pins by anything other than the external flash programmer.
                                        Keeping the system (with the SPI flash) in its reset state should prevent contention problems with the external programmer.
                                        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
                                        X