Big Heatsinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Heatsinks

Here's a few more things to consider in order to drop temps a bit. Lap the mating surfaces of the cpu and the heatsink. They're not very flat (in most cases) from the factory and can net you at least a few deg C in temperature drop. It's also very important to use a minimum of thermal compound when both surfaces are flat and smooth. I go from 400 to 1500 grit wet or dry automotive sandpaper lapping wet with a bit of detergent. It really helps a lot. Also, moving cables and wiring out of the way really helps airflow and decreases turbulence.

On the aside, there's 2 silly designs in most modern tower cases that should be rectified. 1st, the power supply should be mounted at the bottom of the case so it doesn't have to suck in hot air as well as generating it's own. 2nd, video cards are mounted upside down IMHO. All that heat from the GPU gets spread out along the bottom of the card heating it up unnessesarily. There's not to much that can be done about those issues though.

Comment

Mustang; Yes there are such cases, the Lian-Li PC-V1000 for example;

(Picture stolen from this review; http://www.dansdata.com/pcv1000.htm)
      Attached Files
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by acstech
        But at what voltage? And is it prime stable? I know my QX9650 I had to fight it to get it to 4GHz, and this is with a Vapochill LS. I had to slightly exceed Intel's VID value for the chip! Yes, you can overclock 'em to obscene speeds, but you need IMHO dangerous voltages to do it, especially with 45nm.
        Get this... 1.25v!

They seem to do about 3.7-3.8 on stock voltage, which I believe is 1.125v. Keep in mind that these chips have a spec'd range that goes up to 1.3625v.

I have a Q6600 myself, and while I can do 3.3 on stock voltage, I can't get over 3.64 with 1.575v. I'm on air, though.
        Q6600 @ 3330, 2x2GB G.Skill @ 888, HD3870, 2*250GB in RAID 0, 1680x1050 22"
        T5470 (1.6Ghz), 2x1GB Corsair, 8600M GT, 160GB, 1680x1050 15.4"

Comment

Thats borrowed Per and you paid him by giving him a link

BTW anyone got some comment on have the psu at the bottom of the Case..?
          Last edited by starfury1; 02-03-2008, 06:28 AM.
          You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mootsfox
            Get this... 1.25v!

They seem to do about 3.7-3.8 on stock voltage, which I believe is 1.125v. Keep in mind that these chips have a spec'd range that goes up to 1.3625v.

I have a Q6600 myself, and while I can do 3.3 on stock voltage, I can't get over 3.64 with 1.575v. I'm on air, though.
            It seems kind of hit or miss. Most I've seen take more than 1.25 to do 4GHz with stability. See here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=173999

Also keep in mind that a lot of those guys go for the suicide shot and never bother with stability, or if they do it's very short duration, so you kind of have to weed some of them out.
            A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

I think PSU on bottom is the way to go, so any heat producer can just cool themselves, without interfering air streams.

The Arctic Cooling cases are designed in the same way and are very good cases (apart the custom made PSU).

Comment

It seems kind of hit or miss. Most I've seen take more than 1.25 to do 4GHz with stability. See here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=173999

Also keep in mind that a lot of those guys go for the suicide shot and never bother with stability, or if they do it's very short duration, so you kind of have to weed some of them out.

http://www.overclock.net/tankguys-pr...c-testing.html

Keep in mind that these chips are rated to 1.3625v. Just like the 65nm's are rated to 1.5v.
                Q6600 @ 3330, 2x2GB G.Skill @ 888, HD3870, 2*250GB in RAID 0, 1680x1050 22"
                T5470 (1.6Ghz), 2x1GB Corsair, 8600M GT, 160GB, 1680x1050 15.4"

Comment

Nice engineering sample. See the first pic in the link I posted.

Comment

Great CPU-Z pics. Overclock is great (19.6%) but memory speed and timing is slow and limiting for CPU. eg See my signature the DDR2 800 is 4.4.4.12 and will overclock to 960 reliably. The E6420 runs all day cool at a similar 20% overclock it appears that it could be pushed much harder but I feel that I have good value and I want it to last.
                    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
                    Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
                    160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
                    Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                    160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
                    Samsung 18x DVD writer
                    Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
                    33 way card reader
                    Windows XP Pro SP3
                    Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
                    17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
                    HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

A bit OT, but I've got a generic case that has:
                      2x80mm@front
                      1x80mm@side panel (center of side panel to be exact)
                      1x80mm@rear

Now I was wondering what's the ideal set up for this kind of a case? (Take into consideration that I have a Dual Fan Enermax PSU with 92mm & 80mm fans.)
                      OPTION A = 2x80mm@front as intakes
                      1x80mm@side panel intake
                      1x80mm@rear exhaust

OPTION B = 2x80mm@front as intakes
                      1x80mm@side panel exhaust
                      1x80mm@rear exhaust

Any ideas on which of the two would be optimal???
                      CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                      GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

Davmax: So you're running about 320 for the FSB then? You'll get better performance if you can lower the CPU multiplier, set your mem to FSB ratio to 1:1, and raise the FSB. You may however be limited on how far your CPU will accept a high FSB.

Keep in mind also those pics I linked are not my own. Mine (the QX9650) is running 445x9, DDR2-890, 4-4-4-12 2T, on Kingston value ram, at 2.0v. And it will go higher. I need to experiment with lowering the CPU multiplier, loosening the timings, and raising the FSB some more. Right now I think it's kind of a bottleneck for the quad core.

The thing I've found over the years is that Kingston value ram will usually clock just as high, with the same timings, as their Hyper-X stuff, if you give it the same voltage.

Edit: You posted while I was typing! I favor Option A, since then the side duct fan wont be fighting the CPU fan.

Comment

Edit: You posted while I was typing! I favor Option A, since then the side duct fan wont be fighting the CPU fan.
                          That's what I thought as well. Although I'll be modifying it a bit by using a 120mm to 80mm fan adaptor on the 80mm hole at the side panel. :-)

Sucking in air using the power of a 120mm fan.
                          CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                          GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

The problem with those Enermax dual fan design is, that they put the most air back into the case.
                            So either some modding or extra exhaust fan are required.

Comment

Thanks Gonzo for your thoughts on the bottom mounted PSU.
                              You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
                                The problem with those Enermax dual fan design is, that they put the most air back into the case.
                                So either some modding or extra exhaust fan are required.
                                How about we cover those vents opposite the exhaust fan? would that help prevent hot air from being re-introduced into the case?

Comment

Duct tape.
                                  Electric tape.
                                  Piece of sheet metal with rivets, screws, liquid nails, (or soldered as like used for copper pipe or radiators.).
                                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                  -

Comment

To respond to one of the first questions.

Board warping: This generally isn't that much of an issue, but if you're concerned about it, put in some rubber standoffs.

I have several bags of them from when my mother worked at Compaq.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                                      Mustang; Yes there are such cases, the Lian-Li PC-V1000 for example;
                                      and the Cooler Master CM 690
                                      http://techgage.com/article/cooler_master_cm_690/1
                                      http://www.virtual-hideout.net/revie...90/index.shtml

Attached Files
                                      Last edited by willawake; 02-05-2008, 04:06 PM.
                                      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

and the
                                        Lian-Li PC-A70B
                                        http://hardwarelogic.com/news/135/AR...007-08-21.html
                                        with option at top or bottom or both

*wants
                                        Attached Files
                                        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I've actually put feet on the top of a case and flipped it upside down.
                                          Then cut and stained a piece of oak to make the bottom look pretty on top.
                                          -
                                          It gets the PSU on the bottom but that wasn't my goal.
                                          I like the optical drives below eye level when the case is on the desk.
                                          Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                          -
                                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                          -

Comment

Working...
                                          X