highest p3 clock speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

highest p3 clock speed?

what was the highest overclock anybody has done to a 1ghz p3...?

Re: highest p3 clock speed?

Depends what revision it is. If it's a Coppermine, it won't OC worth a damn. If it's the 1GHz Celeron Tualatin, it'll do 1.33GHz (133FSB) without a hitch, or up to 1.5 if the PCI/AGP in the motherboard tolerate the increased PCI clock.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I have Pentium 3 Celeron Tualatin 1300mhz and I was able to overclock it to 1456mhz (fsb 100->112)

Comment

is it true that a 1.6ghz p3 would blow away a 1.6ghz p4?

Comment

Probably.
          At least it would on the Northwood processor.
          Personally I got a system with a 1.4ghz tualatin P3. Seein it hit 1.6 or something like that would be cool.
          Last edited by pentium; 10-10-2010, 02:48 PM.
          Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

YEAH someone agrees with me that p3 archetitecture is better than p4 netburst shit!

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
              is it true that a 1.6ghz p3 would blow away a 1.6ghz p4?
              I have dual 1.4GHz Tualatins running at 1.55GHz. They wiped the floor with a 2.8GHz Pentium D. Two PIIIs vs two P4s => PIIIs win. Can't see why it wouldn't be the same with single CPUs.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

wow! so that means my 2gb ram dual 1ghz p3 server is better than a 1gb 2.8ht p4? awesome!!!

Comment

wow! so that means my 2gb ram dual 1ghz p3 server is better than a 1gb 2.8ht p4? awesome!!!
                  Nope. I also explained this to you before. A 2.8GHz P4 will cream a pair of 1GHz P3's.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Here's a place to get the basic idea.
                    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/
                    Not every cpu or configuration is included and they are kind'a sketchy about exactly which cpu they mean sometimes, but you can still ball-park it most of the time.
                    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...U]+Pentium+III
                    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...tium+4+2.80GHz
                    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...II+-+S+1400MHz
                    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 10-10-2010, 03:30 PM.
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

I got a 3.4ghz PRESCOTT it EATS PENTIUM ///s for breakfast and the ones that survive, it cooks them to a crisp with its AWESOME HEAT.
                      My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

thats great-have a nice day!
                        lol im kidding!

Comment

P3s are roughly 30% more efficient per clock cycle. Thus a 1GHz P3 is roughly equivalent to a 1.3GHz P4. Late model P3s (particularly the PIII-S) were better than the Willamettes but Northwoods eclipsed them.

Comment

thats great-have a nice day!
                            lol im kidding!
                            Your my BUDDY
                            My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by relkin67 View Post
                              P3s are roughly 30% more efficient per clock cycle. Thus a 1GHz P3 is roughly equivalent to a 1.3GHz P4. Late model P3s (particularly the PIII-S) were better than the Willamettes but Northwoods eclipsed them.
                              Only after the Northwood clock speeds exceeded about 2GHz.

'Who wins the race' is largely application dependent.
                              If you put a 2GHz Northwood up against a single 1.4GHz PIII-S it's 50/50/90 who will come out on top.

Intel deliberately suppressed their marketing of PIII-S chips because they kicked butt on their 'Flagship' P4's.
                              Presumably that is also why they limited the i815 chipset to 512MB RAM and didn't sh*t a better chipset - even for their own PIII-S server boards.
                              [Intel's PIII-S server boards did not use Intel chipsets. They used ServerWorks chipsets. Might be exceptions but I haven't seen one.]
                              Last edited by PCBONEZ; 10-13-2010, 03:07 PM.

-
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                              -

Comment

Interesting how the PIII & PIII-S cores were ultimately the foundation of "Core" technology and "Netburst" bit the dust.

I remember when Intel was pushing slot type CPU's.
                                One of their 'advertised' reasons was pin type sockets couldn't be made to meet the requirements of faster and more advanced CPU's.
                                - Then came sockets 370, 423, and 603.

Intel's Marketing 'suits' and the other 'suits' that listen to them aren't always the sharpest knives in the drawer.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

At one point (Spring 1998? Spring 1999?), the US Justice Department was suing Intel. Two pins on the 'slot' chips had functions that couldn't be identified or duplicated (I forget which) without breaking some legal agreements or IP. I could be wrong on this, but I don't think so.

Later (not sure when), the suit was dropped (or settled). Was the lawsuit a factor helping Intel to decide to drop the 'slot' architecture? And had the Microsoft antitrust case happened yet?

Comment

Might be. I don't remember that one.
                                    But they could do that with pins too so I don't see how it could have had anything to do with going back to sockets.

I do recall a big hoopla about CPU's with serial numbers that could be accessed via the internet and couldn't be disabled.
                                    Intel lost that one. They fixed it by allowing the BIOS to turn it off.

Also one of the MS OS Betas [I think it was Win98] had a feature where the system would connect to the internet and 'phone home' late at night if the PC was left on.
                                    The Beta testers threw up the red flags to the media and it didn't show up in the final version.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Fastest P3 I know of.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

wow! not bad!

Comment

Working...
                                        X